Sobeys

Updated December 19, 2014
3.2

Sobeys President and CEO Marc Poulin
Marc Poulin

Pros
  • friendly environment, flexible hours, clean (in 11 reviews)

• A very well paying part time job if you're okay with the physical labour as it can get tough (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Our Manager left back in February and we still have no full time Manager and its May (in 8 reviews)

• Since head office is in Atlantic Canada, that's where big decisions are made (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a high end grocery store, with high prices, but good customer service.

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good management
    Fun
    Flexible hours for students
    Have made friends with a couple employees,
    Management at my store is out on the floor talking with customers, unloading skids with employees, rather than sitting in their office the whole day.

Cons

Departments like produce, grocery, etc typically work against each other rather than with one another.
    Minimum wage
    Take advantage of some employees and require them to work everyday besides one.
    Our Manager left back in February and we still have no full time Manager and its May.
    Ultimately I don't feel like my work is important.

Maybe introduce some incentive for employees, such as coupons for reduced prices of grocery.

Great first Job I guess....

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Kanata, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Kanata, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Coworkers make the job a lot better
    - Managers are approachable for almost anything ( they will even take you to grab a coffee and talk about personal issues )
    - Meet some amazing people and take part in fun events

Cons

- PAY SUCKS !!! after 3 years I was making a wooping $10.80 as a cashier and $11.80 as a supervisor
    - Higher Management could careless about you , they are cheap !!!
    - Water is NOT FREE unless its from the dirty sink , ( no water fountain or cooler provided )
    - No Discounts

Start caring more about the front line employees , and provide them with water especially when they are outside on carts for hours , and wage increase should be a lot higher.

Would be a great place to work, if upper management was more appreciative

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were many job opportunities and some chances to move up, good pay if you were a manager/supervisor, and fellow employees were very friendly and hard working.

Cons

The biggest con for me was not being appreciated by upper management. I was a full-time, very hard-working deli supervisor and I was criticized more often than I was praised. Managers would focus on the things we didn't have time to do (even if it was hardly anything at all), instead of letting us know that we did a good job in other aspects of our work. And unless you are a supervisor or manager, don't expect to make much more than minimum wage, regardless of how hard you work.

Appreciate your employees! You work hard and so do we, but we don't hear it nearly often enough. You are less likely to keep your employees around if they feel like you don't care about them - which is one of the main reasons I left.

Overall good, depends on your store.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in St. Catharines, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in St. Catharines, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, well organized in general but that depends on where you work. Hard work is appreciated and rewarded in form of more hours(if one wants) preferred shifts or getting requested time off even when it is busy. We all once got a box of candy for Christmas from the management too. Many friendly and kind people to work with.

Cons

Employees that love to gossip which can poison the relations and the atmosphere of your workplace. There is also some degree of favoritism on behalf of the lower management so if you want to move up, sometimes you don't have to be a good worker, only make sure you are good buddies with your department manager.

Friendly Place to Work

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work was easy to get a hang of. The people were friendly and knew what they were doing. Pay was just enough. I liked working there for the people.

Cons

I personally, being part-time, ending up working 35-44 hour weeks. My family lives across the province so to go back home I need a minimum three days to make it worth while. It was hard to even get this much time off.

Worked my entire carreer with Sobeys

Former Employee - Manager in Stellarton, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Stellarton, NS (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

With over 35 years with the company it was a pleasure. yes it had its moments but overall it was a great experience.

Cons

Not enough of the Sobeys family involved in the day to day operation.It would keep Upper Management on their toes if there was.

Great people at the store level, customers and staff

Former Employee - Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

fair wages and benefits, similar to the competition

Cons

budgets too tight to achieve all that the administrators say is important, like customer service`

set realistic budgets, and there is too great a wage difference between store staff and upper management
    when CEO,s make as much or more than the combined total of the staff of an entire (small) store

I've been working there as a Cashier for 4 months

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great friendly people who I felt in love with in my first day
    People cover each other all the time if you need it
    Recognition

Cons

Payment - hard to get anything more than minimal wage

Great people to work with, hard work appreciated.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sobeys prides itself on customer service so the staff generally speaking are really nice people to work with. Management is constantly looking for ways to improve and grow. Opinions of employee's are taken under consideration and valued.

Cons

My biggest complaint with this company is their weird rule about employee's drinking water in front of customers. Some stores policies are that employee's aren't allowed to drink water on the floor at all. Other stores allow this but never in front of a customer. You can see how this could be difficult, especially during busy seasons. There are times you get no opportunity at all except during a break.

One employee was telling me that in the Bakery they aren't allowed to drink at all and at times she gets so thirsty she'll drink the yellowish water from the sink that has a sign specifically saying not to drink that water.

I've worked with Sobeys twice. Once when I was a teenager. At that store we were allowed to drink but then they changed the rule and we weren't allowed. I talked to my Doctor and he wrote me a Doctors note saying for health reasons (which I won't list here, and which he didn't list on my note) I should be allowed to drink at the Cash register. The Manager of the store and the Front End manager met with me in an office and asked me what health reasons those were. I told them. Then I was told "Doctors note, or no Doctors note, it's store policy and you're not allowed to drink water at the cash."

Being a teenager at the time I did not recognize what just happened. I was probably lied to about store policy because if it couldn't be worked with then why was I asked what my health problems were? To this day, I still suffer from the same issues and constant thirst. I try not to drink in front of customers, however I've grown up and I don't allow myself to suffer from their policy and I drink when I have to regardless if a customer is there with me. I haven't been caught doing this yet.

Sometimes we are told it's not "safe" to drink at the cash register for fear of spilling. However this issue only ever comes up if someone has been caught drinking in front of a customer. This issue also comes with a veiled threat how we are lucky to be able to drink on the floor and not all stores allow this so we have to be careful not to abuse the privilege. We also have to keep our water bottles hidden at all times. If it's all about safety then why do those other things matter? Also all the other major retailors in the area trust their employees not to be so clumsy.

I guess what this is all boiling down to, I feel Sobeys feels that the customer is more important than an employee. At somewhere down the line those in charge have got it in their heads that it's bad customer service for an employee to drink something in front of a customer. In the end, the customer comes first.

Sobeys is constantly working for better customer service. This great pro is also a con. Sometimes Sobeys will bend over backwards and take abuse from customers. I haven't experienced this myself but I've heard horror stories from other employees.

Sobeys only offers 32 hours a week at the most.

Management needs to train supervisors a little better before letting them out on the floor.

Overall good experience, worked part time during school

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked with great people. Hard work appreciated. Upper management was approachable, understanding, knowledgeable. Great company values. Occasional food provided such as pizza, chips, new product. Safe and comfortable working environment.

Cons

Some unorganized management, the usual employee disagreements and drama. Worked most weekends. Inconsistent scheduling; short and long shifts, morning, day, evening. No procedure for day off requests. No store discount.

Strengthen relationships with entry level employees - recognize employee potential