Socalgas

www.socalgas.com

Socalgas Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Socalgas – Pico Rivera – “Soutthern California Gas Company”

Dennis Arriola

Pico Rivera office is the best ;)

Records Clerk (Former Employee) Pico Rivera, CA

ProsCompensation is great, great benefits, people there are great. you are actually valued as an employee and person, opportunity for advancement, flexible schedules, help pay for school, union job

Conseverything based on seniority, not too many openings :(

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWork in the downtown headquarters. The work culture is very nice - plenty of diverse and young talent in my group.

ConsMy program was just starting up, so there was plenty of movement and changing policies at the time.

Its great

ProsGreat Learning Experience. The managers are really helpful and patient.

ConsIt can be a lot of work at times.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing really

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good luck if you don't like schmoozing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe DTLA office building is in a fantastic location that can't be beat and the company does a good job communicating with its employees about the company's performance and the status of major projects.

Given the regulated nature of the industry management does an okay job, but it's at the mercy of unelected regulators and the unions.

ConsThe company chooses people for advancement based on sociability and it's almost like joining a high school clique; if you don't conform or if you attempt to do things differently, you'll get passed over and a target will be placed on your back. The company claims it wants to be more innovative but actually rewards conformity.

If you're introverted and don't spend an inordinate amount of time lunching, dining, and schmoozing over your bosses you'll never get promoted. If you go to lunch alone to clear your head you'll be judged negatively. This company rewards the wrong behaviors.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe constant budget fire drills need to stop. This cycle can't continue forever.

Good Company

Planning Associate (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsGood pay & benefits. Company is stable

ConsAdvancement needs to be done differently but since it's based on the Union and years of service and not the most qualified

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more mentoring opportunities. Promote those who are qualified not those who brown nose.

Great company

Records Clerk (Former Employee) Pico Rivera, CA

ProsThe people there are great (both coworkers and management)
    Union
    Pay/Benefits
    Very flexible with schedules

ConsPromotions based on seniority but should maybe be based on experience and how hard one works

Nice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone was very nice to work with.

Consthe contract was terminated to soon

Advice to Senior Managementhonor good workers when you find one

Former PM

Project Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsAble to have autonomy regarding your work, and able to make decisions with support of the team etc. Benefits are great, and the company as a whole is fascinating. Great pay.

Cons- NEPOTISM NEPOTISM NEPOTISM!!!!! Every full-time hired employee I met when I was a contractor here was the child or nephew or niece of an old time employee( i.e. someone who has worked for the company for 30 yrs for example) Often times leading to having very young and entitled persons in pretty superior positions.

- The mentality that these people will NEVER get fired. My god they work at the slowest rate possible, I assume very similar to those who work at a state job, because they have the tremendous knowledge of job security, some are union, so it's a recipe for the POOREST business model I have come across. Lot's of inefficiencies because of this due to poor time management.

- Randomly hiring people under the guise of diversity (but only if you have an inside connection). Although they are "diverse" it is to a point where they practice reverse discrimination. Yes, it's a really thing, and it's rampant here. Diversity doesn't mean your skin has to be a different color, they are diverse at the sake of marginalizing certain groups or categories of people.

- Lot of the old timers lack even basic office skills.

Advice to Senior Management- I think the pension plans were eradicated a while ago but they need to start forcefully retiring their aging work force and really get to the current times. I know it sounds harsh, but these baby boomers already have pensions in place from the company so just cut them loose so you can have more innovative out of box thinkers that can improve your business.

-Stop hiring people's kids and family members. Serious audits are needed!!!

Great Company

Technical Advisor II (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe company is very ethical and takes care of its employees and customers. A great deal of attention is paid ot doing the right thing. The company is stable and there are many opportunities in a variety of disciplines.

ConsPromotions and pay should be given a more comprehensive evaluation. Often, a general impressions rather than objective performance measures are used. Lower levels of management lack the trainig they need to effectively manage their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide competietive pay for middle management. Encourage completion of assignments before moving on (often the only way to get pay increases is to keep changing jobs). Provide comprehensive training for entry level management.

Great company run by great people.

Senior Engineering Intern II (MSC) (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsGreat compensation and company culture.

ConsFeels a little too spread out at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Worked for Socalgas? Contribute to the Community!