Société Générale

Société Générale Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Société Générale Chairman and CEO Frédéric Oudéa

Frédéric Oudéa

Pros
  • Work life balance isn't too bad in the right team, making a real push in some areas(in 70 reviews)

• interesting working environment, global operations(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • French top brass do not believe any NON French people(in 10 reviews)

• Career advancement for those who don't come from the Grandes Ecoles / Societe Generale Paris office pipeline can be difficult(in 7 reviews)

Be wary of the French.

Front Office Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe firm is very conveniently located to Grand Central for me. A short 2 block walk to the office from the train. Bonus points to the underground connection so I do not have to go outside.

Work hours are surprisingly relaxed, vacation time is very french, and benefits are very good.

ConsThere is a stigma about french people getting undeserved promotions. There is some truth to that I guess in the middle and back office. In the front office, it's a lot more like a meritocracy largely I think because of the simple fact that there are hard numbers and analytics to measure performance.

Some people prefer talking in French. I get that it's a french bank. And languages are not really my specialty. Learning fluent financial french is not something I enjoy, but I'm doing what I can to better fit with the group.

Upward movement is a little capped. I don't think there is a non-french head of anything.

Outright pay doesn't really compare much with the street. But to be fair, most of the street doesn't give 4-week vacations.

Associate

Prosfriendly and relaxed working environment

Conshard to do business and below market comp

General working enviroment

ProsWas an easy-going working environment, not too much of the typical investment banker nastiness. Nice social group of people. Salary was also not bad.

ConsNot much room for growth in my position, and not much initiative relating to trying to improve things - everyone just does their job and goes home.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good learning experience, but no real opportunities to move ahead.

Hedge Fund Risk Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- The staff is very friendly
    - There are many opportunities to learn about different departments
    - There is a lot of flexibility with holidays/vacation
    - Great office location

Cons- The main con is that there is not much opportunity for upward advancement. The best bet is to either get comfortable in your position or find another firm eventually. But still a great company

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good, strong in equity

ProsRelaxed environment for a investment bank

ConsCompensation
    Need to have some affinity for French

The world of dead front office technology, robotic managers and cultural silos... run for the hills

Front Office IT (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosnone if your non French

ConsThe front office technology is the worst I have seen at any bank. It does not work and its overly complicated. Everyone in IT and quant dev are hostile, they work in technology silos and they all have hidden agenda's. More emphasis is placed on the education you have rather than the actual creation of the idea for example only people from the top Ecole's are suppose to have ideas everyone else is a dog. Do yourself a huge favor avoid this bank at all costs you will writing off a few years of life with nothing to show.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt wouldn't matter what I said their are hundred layers between people who do the work and those that drive the banks course, its that far removed..

Didn't give me much tasks as an intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- The people working there were obviously smart and knew their stuff.
    - The hours were good, class market hours from around 7 am to 6 pm.

Cons- I did not get much work as an intern, mostly working on small projects for my supervisor.
    -My boss most of the time was busy trading rather mentoring me, which is understandable.

Good chances to learn

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou certainly get a chance to learn and work outside your specialty

ConsExtremely bureaucratic, afraid to make decisions, poor compensation, no leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be afraid to make decisions, and let go of the poor "leaders"

Very satisfied

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe business in NY is going through a great transformation. New building provides a good, modern environment. Compared with other banks in NY, SG seems to be on a positive trend.

ConsDelegation could be handled better-

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to create well trained teams and provide incentive for employees to pursue internal opportunities.

overall a bad experience

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosfree tickets for the MOMA

Constoo much managers and no leadership
    not enough people to do the job
    big turnover : good people dont stay

Advice to Senior Managementclose the branch!

Worked for Société Générale? Contribute to the Community!