Société Générale

Société Générale Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Société Générale Chairman and CEO Frédéric Oudéa

Frédéric Oudéa

Pros
  • Work life balance isn't too bad in the right team, making a real push in some areas(in 70 reviews)

• interesting working environment, global operations(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • French top brass do not believe any NON French people(in 10 reviews)

• Career advancement for those who don't come from the Grandes Ecoles / Societe Generale Paris office pipeline can be difficult(in 7 reviews)

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOverall talent level quite low, so it is easier to advance

ConsVery little concern for employees by management. Staff development is not considered HR or managers responsibility. There is a significant reorganization once per year, so the managers have to spend significant amounts of time on that rather than managing their teams. There is a large cultural gap between French and American employees in the NY office. Surprisingly, while this may seem obvious, the management and HR do nothing to address or manage the problem of culture and communication. I would agree with many other reviewers, if you do not speak French I would not recommend working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementSettle on an organization and stick with it for at least a year before reorganizing again.

Better work life balance but lower pay than competitors. Difficult career traction for non-French.

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFavorable work-life balance. Very well-regarded franchise in equity derivatives and other structured products.

ConsBelow market compensation for NYC. Very bureaucratic.

Not necessarily a pro or con, but the New York office is very French. Career advancement for those who don't come from the Grandes Ecoles / Societe Generale Paris office pipeline can be difficult.

Good place to learn.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendly people and reasonable hours.

ConsLots of bureaucracy. When times are bad in France, the firm will sometimes replace American jobs with French ex-pats.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the culture to be more efficient.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to Work here

Consultant (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsFriendly People and nice location

ConsNo job security, frequent layoffs

Financial Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMost Americans are friendly- I've met some nice people

ConsNo career development help from HR or managers
    Horrible systems
    Disproportionate work distribution within same group (some people do nothing all day, while all the work is dumped on a few select/smarter employees)
    French vs. American culture
    Low work morale for Americans

Advice to Senior ManagementCut middle management
    Better work distribution, trim the fat if you have to since this will raise salary/morale of the hard workers

An extremely frustrating place to work at times

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat vacation policy, solid benefits.

ConsManagement is too busy playing politics and blaming others to participate in actual work.
    Very few employees willing to help others - a culture that comes from the top down. Issues are always someone or some other team's problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire most of your middle management and hire (or promote) people that have positive attitudes and promote a positive work environment.

Very French

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGrowing in the Americas, Decent risk culture

ConsHard culturally, everything must go through Paris, lots of power politics

Advice to Senior ManagementFire senior managers, create a flatter structure, give more independence to the Americas branch

learned a bit there, but no advancements.. everyone speaks in french unless they have to ask you something

Middle Office Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossmaller than US banks so its easier to get to know everyone in the business..

ConsYou will not advance unless you are french. 2nd class citizen... I can't even read half of my emails. My boss still continues to write some of his emails in french when he knows I don't understand.

Advice to Senior Managementit's divide can't be anymore obvious.. They need to do something about the American/French culture divide

Good benefits. Nice people.

Investment Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits. Nice people. Good company for people who have families.

ConsSystems have a lot of issues. Work has been slow due to euro crisis. Not recommended for entry level analysts who want a fast paced environment with deadlines.

No communication, no support.

Product Controller (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsI got to meet a few nice people.

ConsManagement did not know details of the work process.
    There was no communication from management.
    No training from management.
    Fellow employees were not willing to answer questions.
    Minimum 30 day notice required to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the employees in your group. They will be more loyal to the bank, if you do. Know what your employee's jobs are, it will make you a better manager.

Worked for Société Générale? Contribute to the Community!