Social Gaming Network

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
3.9

Chris DeWolfe

Working with SGN continues to exceed my expectations of what employment should be like in the video game industry.

Current Employee - Customer Support Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SGN has great hours of operation allowing for an employee to have some type of life outside of work. SGN has an amazing room for growth within the company to almost any other position available. The pay is great and the location is amazing. SGN hires the best talent for the available positions as well as the best personality fit for the work environment. Lastly, the benefits and perks are some of the best I’ve ever experienced.

Cons

The parking for the location is connected with guest parking. This causes some congestion when trying to park. Another con is as a growing company our seating arrangements change often, making it difficult to set up permanently. Lastly, the size of the current building causes some temperature challenges, especially if the air conditioning goes out.

Most of the operational matters are in order, my only suggestion would be while searching for another building, maybe try to find a way to make seating more permanent for the current space. While it’s a challenge to maintain since we’re growing so much in a short amount of time. The permanent seating will allow the talent to settle into their roles more effectively.

Poor Executive Team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Social Gaming Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked here for over 1 year before finding another opportunity. Work/life balance is good and compensation is industry standard.

Cons

No member of the executive team comes from a background working in games. They micromanage every product and overpower actual product leads with relevant experience. Benefits are subpar compared to competitors in the city. Lack of transparency from management and poor communication hurts the teams. No vision of short or long-term company structure. Just another company that gives employees the illusion of innovation but is just interested in creating copy-cat freemium games.

Find someone to join executive team with actual gaming background.

Up and coming free-to-play

I worked at Social Gaming Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of cross team collaboration, easy access to all levels of management. People listen to your ideas. Work-life better than most.

Cons

Not taking risks with their products! Also, empowering people without a strong sense of design to lead design on projects, although that may not be a problem anymore.

Try something totally new in the play space! You can rely on your existing IP to make money!

Love this company

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked there for a year, and am a former employee. So proud of the team and their accomplishment. Exec team is on a path to success.

Cons

None at this time.

None at this time- keep up the good work!

The Best of All Worlds

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Start up feel
    -Friendly, fun and yet hard working culture
    -Great executive team
    -Growing at a controlled pace
    -Lunch is provided 3 days a week

Cons

-Lunch only provided 3 days a week (See what I mean, it's a great place!)
    -Honestly I can think of any at this time

Stay the course, you have a great team of dedicated employees looking to make great games today and in the future! The experience the Senior Management has shines on the place. I am not saying it's perfect but is as close as I've experienced.

Great people that are easy to work with

Former Intern - Marketing Intern
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern

I worked at Social Gaming Network as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

I worked as an intern, so I might not have seen as much as an actual employee may have seen. But SGN is a growing startup, so the work environment is very intimate. They culture is really laid back and fun. They are a company that is improving in their quality and expanding their worker base.

They have company wide meetings, so communication is relatively good between different teams.

Because of the intimate environment it is really easy to get to know upper management.

Cons

Because they have a fast paced environment for their rapid new game releases, you need to be able to manage your time well and handle multiple projects at once.

Stay away

Current Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network

Pros

Free food three days a week
    No one cares if you work or not

Cons

Management has no clue. Daily changes of guidelines and directions. No vision. No ideas. One day we are working on the 'future of the business', another day it's shut down. Rinse and repeat. Morale is low.

Do something else.

Lot's of smart people do not necessarily make a smart team.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Social Gaming Network

Pros

Got to work with some very smart, very nice people.

Cons

No respect for if those people would work well together, have the same goals or even when people got hired. Any day of the week someone new would be sitting next to you with a job that didn't exist yesterday.

Since SGN got sold after spending all its money - more advise to others - hire wisely means hiring for a team, not a bunch of individuals.

A muddle, a struggle, failure and good art.

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Social Gaming Network

Pros

Find a good idea and rail hard enough on it, and keep focus on why it would be successful and you would make good work.

Cons

The company was trying to do more than it could handle, and all the projects suffered from bottlenecks among the decision makers. every serior employee had an inbox with 3000 unread messages, and very little could get done without using emergency channels.

Focus on making one good product, throw it to a live service team, and move the dev team onto a new project. Rinse, Repeat.

General Manager

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to learn and to play i love it here. Is a tough work, but is worth it.

Cons

Tough work, is those kind of works where either you are involved or you are out, no middle grounds, softies or people wanting to leave at 5 will not enojoy the work.

more donuts!