Social Gaming Network Reviews

Chris DeWolfe

No big complaints

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SGN was a good company. They wanted to make clones of top games that had greater funding, so we made clones. That process can be frustrating, because reverse-engineering a competitor's product is often Messy... But that's not an uncommon workflow in ftp games. We had enough backing to make a game together while I was there and it ended up being way more successful than I could have expected! I am grateful for my time there. The money was fine, the benefits were enough, and I got to "wear many hats."

Cons

During my time in the office, the SD branch had issues with scapegoating, and often would obfuscate issues with the product to the mother company. The SD company was a new acquisition, an the SGN transition was a herald of better times. SD's Decision-making was Not a team effort. Often, the expertise of the staff was completely ignored or dismissed. (Laughed out of meetings more than once, Had to fight tooth-and-nail for quality features) I've heard measures have been taken to remove this culture from the office, so that is not likely an issue any longer! It was a very challenging environment to flourish in. Personally, I had to step out and take a long sabbatical to recover from my experience there. I'm sure not everyone has trouble with that sort of thing, and I believe the culture there has improved significantly after my departure.

Advice to Management

Make sure your people are supported, heard, and utilized effectively - One bad egg can really spoil the carton. Browbeating and emotional abuse are the worst. Also I'd be excited to see a more original title from your talented new staff!

2. SGN

I have been working at Social Gaming Network (More than a year)

Pros

Great teams to work with and the company has a good work life balance. The games are given the time they are needed to be competitive. Finally the executives are very down to earth with good heads on their shoulders.

Cons

The company is growing fast. Which can be a pro also. Small space in SF for the amount of people however I see this as temporary problem.

Advice to Management

More cross studio interactions from all levels.

3. Awesome

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Probably the best gaming studio to work for in North County! Cookie Jam is bringing in a lot of revenue making room for growth. We have a new office which is a great environment for being creative and getting work done. It's so quiet and stress free, like a library. Coming off of a period of leadership transition and the new guys are really settling in and making things great.

Cons

If you don't like the occasional nerf gun war or quadcopter buzzing, those would be a con. The landlord so far has been a little annoying, you have to get permission to put anything on any wall. Also we don't have control over most of our lights, if you want some of them off you have to get someone to come turn them off. Also of course no one can agree on the temperature settings haha.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Doing great.

5. SGN, a review!

Current Employee - Game Designer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy going, laid back office culture. Everyone is easy to get along with and SGN provides many great ways for its employees to socialize both in and outside of work.

Cons

Location is not great in regards to commuting, and buying/renting near the office is unreasonable for most.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing! You hire great people, you and there is a noticeable lack of bureaucracy, which provides ample opportunity for your teams to succeed on their own accord. My only gripe is selfish, in that I wish the office was closer to me!

Horrible Politics

I worked at Social Gaming Network

Pros

Nothing to discuss here because of cons

Cons

Management here is absolutely horrible. They only care about what their needs are and never listen to the team that actually makes the products. They recently fired one of the best employees in the company because they refused to listen to and understand the situation. Instead they keep some of the most horrible employees in the company because of personal reasons. This is a company that does not care for employee happiness and is guaranteed to self destruct.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Stop making personal decisions for the company and think of what your teams need.

7. Working with SGN continues to exceed my expectations of what employment should be like in the video game industry.

Current Employee - Customer Support Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SGN has great hours of operation allowing for an employee to have some type of life outside of work. SGN has an amazing room for growth within the company to almost any other position available. The pay is great and the location is amazing. SGN hires the best talent for the available positions as well as the best personality fit for the work environment. Lastly, the benefits and perks are some of the best I’ve ever experienced.

Cons

The parking for the location is connected with guest parking. This causes some congestion when trying to park. Another con is as a growing company our seating arrangements change often, making it difficult to set up permanently. Lastly, the size of the current building causes some temperature challenges, especially if the air conditioning goes out.

Advice to Management

Most of the operational matters are in order, my only suggestion would be while searching for another building, maybe try to find a way to make seating more permanent for the current space. While it’s a challenge to maintain since we’re growing so much in a short amount of time. The permanent seating will allow the talent to settle into their roles more effectively.

Poor Executive Team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked here for over 1 year before finding another opportunity. Work/life balance is good and compensation is industry standard.

Cons

No member of the executive team comes from a background working in games. They micromanage every product and overpower actual product leads with relevant experience. Benefits are subpar compared to competitors in the city. Lack of transparency from management and poor communication hurts the teams. No vision of short or long-term company structure. Just another company that gives employees the illusion of innovation but is just interested in creating copy-cat freemium games.

Advice to Management

Find someone to join executive team with actual gaming background.

9. Up and coming free-to-play

I worked at Social Gaming Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of cross team collaboration, easy access to all levels of management. People listen to your ideas. Work-life better than most.

Cons

Not taking risks with their products! Also, empowering people without a strong sense of design to lead design on projects, although that may not be a problem anymore.

Advice to Management

Try something totally new in the play space! You can rely on your existing IP to make money!

10. Love this company

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked there for a year, and am a former employee. So proud of the team and their accomplishment. Exec team is on a path to success.

Cons

None at this time.

Advice to Management

None at this time- keep up the good work!

11. Stay away

Current Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network

Pros

Free food three days a week No one cares if you work or not

Cons

Management has no clue. Daily changes of guidelines and directions. No vision. No ideas. One day we are working on the 'future of the business', another day it's shut down. Rinse and repeat. Morale is low.

Advice to Management

Do something else.

RSS Feed </> Embed