Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Reviews in Baltimore, MD

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Carolyn W. Colvin

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent place to work, however, very monotonous and thankless.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob Security, Overtime (When available), Vacation time.

ConsFavoritism, Office Politics, Easy to get trapped into your position track, Difficult to break into other facets of the agency.

Family friendly job, but very limited opportunities

IT Specialist (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSSA is flexible when you need time for family. It's an easy drive to work, the salary is decent and the buildings are now modern.

ConsThere is little chance for advancement. We were recently told they are top heavy, so don't expect any promotions. They are filling existing positions with anyone that already has that grade, whether qualified or not. If a job is posted, it is usually restricted to the current staff or immediate component, so there are very limited opportunities. They are also starting to downgrade positions (same work, but lower grade). Also, people brought in mid-career 10 years ago to gain the industry knowledge and replace the baby boomers, are now overlooked for promotions and new assignments.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to let employees apply across components. If you value the inter-component knowledge that is required on every posting, why promote people who have only worked in one area or have limited knowledge. Astrue (former comm.) was wrong when he said a manager doesn't have to know what they're managing. They also don't know what's falling through the cracks. Last, get rid of the SSA-45, used to apply for jobs since the 70's. Use a resume, like professional agencies.

Good Agency - Baltimore location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back; flex schedules and work at home options. Great benefits.

ConsGov't salary is lower than public sector, as expected, but you are also subject to any federal budget issues.

visual information specialists

Visual Information Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat job opportunities throughout the agency.

ConsIndividual development plan, require that supervisors work closely with prospective development of individuals however many managers are not equipped or experienced enough to support or help individuals in their ideal development.

One of the best places to work if you like knowing you are making a difference.

IT Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than a year

ProsConnections. You meet so many people. You have access to learn how to serve the public, have access to manage large projects and really stand out in the agency. It was worth working there once.

ConsManagement changes can sometimes be unsettling if you are not used to the politics that comes with it. They start you out very low on the salary tree, depending on your qualifications and make it almost impossible to get hired at a higher grade. Grade increase rules and the forms to fill out are not like a normal job promotion and you have to fight for that position.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. Just because you have the title of 'supervisory' in your grade description doesn't mean you have to micromanage. Those that don't do this, you already know how to run your business and are great managers!

Safe, stable, and boring

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, job security, good pay for average employee. TSP (401k) matching is excellent, as is pension. There are small bonuses available, but one has to be on a noticable and successful project to get them. Alternative work schedules are good, but they need to go farther.

ConsUnfortunately, the pension, generous base salaries, and the virtual inability to be fired means that the average employee lacks an incentive to be innovative or leave for other opportunities. This leads to a conservative & insulative culture that tends to be more inward looking rather than risk taking. The hiring process makes it difficult to get the best employees with specific skill sets. Some federal benefits are quirky and not easy to use compared to other large private sector employers. At the executive level, pay is often not commensurate with the private sector or even other agencies. Work from home policies are a must.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most difficult thing about the SSA workplace (HQ) is the human capital. Give more incentives to people (whether monetary or otherwise) to work harder and smarter. Push to reform hiring processes to accomodate new people with expertise. Push those who have been there for some time to change old patterns. There is no danger of too much dynamism in this workplace, so pushing for more will not hurt.

IT Specialist (Project Manager)

IT Specialist (Former Employee)

Pros* Flexible Schedule with plenty of time off
* Plenty of educational opportunities ranging from SkillSoft courses to in-house technical programs
* Stability

Cons* Bureaucracy, Bureaucracy, Bureaucracy
* No accountability among management
* Slow pace of work (and when I say slow, I mean SLOW)
* The aging IT staff, largely, lacks motivation

Advice to Senior Management* OPEN YOUR EYES .. this is no way to spend tax payer money. Absolutely irresponsible.

A pretty decent agency to work for...

Program Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Social Security Administration

ProsGenerous benefits and pay. Plenty of opportunity to advance due to aging and retiring workforce. Chance to do work that directly benefits the American Public.

ConsFrustrations of working within a large and often inefficient bureaucracy. Often have to work with outdated and obsolete technology. Very "old- timey" agency- lacking fresh and progressive ideas and solutions at times.

Mediocre

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Social Security Administration

ProsStability, great benefits, potential for advancement (due to retirees..not necessarily intelligence)

ConsNo autonomy, top down organization with regards to decision making, breed puppets not action takers

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand implications of decisions made and make decisions based on facts.

Too structured, dont allow any flexibility

Teleservice Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Social Security Administration

ProsGreat training to learn job

ConsCall center here is not a great place to work

Advice to Senior Managementtreat the Reps with some respect

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Social Security Administration reviews and ratings in Baltimore, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Social Security Administration CEO Carolyn W. Colvin. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Social Security Administration employees.