Social Security Administration
www.ssa.gov Baltimore, MD 5000+ Employees

Social Security Administration Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is great if you don't care about salary"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Benefits were great and flexible work schedule"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Promotions are hard to come by because of budget issues"
    in 6 reviews
  • "500 (I don't understand the arguments that federal employees make out better than private sector"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a job for everyone!

Claims Representative (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI started as a service rep. and climbed the career ladder fairly quickly, I grew to love my diverse co-workers and my vacation time was amazing. Towards the end I had 3 weeks + paid vacation per year and a week of sick leave.

ConsMajor problems with management, many managers have little or no experience and a lack of training. Also unprofessional communication by management, sometimes frustrations or aggressions are taken out on employees. Petty issues with bureaucracy within the office, like if you are one minute late to a meeting you lose vacation pay and they threaten your job. If you wanted to better yourself like take night classes or try to get a masters degree, our boss would discourage you. Don't even think about asking for a recommendation letter, even if you left on good terms. Clients were very hostile and management did not always support employees when we had a problem with clients.

Poorly set up software, desperately needing a user experience designer, better graphic designers and better computer systems. Budget issues, towards the end of the year we would run out of paper and ink for printers. Problems with the facilities like broken air conditioners, lack of heat, poor standards of cleanliness (no disinfectant applied by the janitors and lots of sick clients in and out of the office daily) and no change in standards if complaints were brought forward to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep staff, be sure you support them in the office and out of the office. Treat employees like adults and respect your employees.

Good work-life balance, but near hostile to attorneys and little room for growth or movement as an attorney.

Attorney (Current Employee)
Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance is great if you don't care about salary. Salary potential is okay so long as you are willing to work overtime. Relatively easy work for an attorney.

ConsBoring work. Little room for advancement or growth. Salary not great. Downright hostile to attorneys or their requirements. Licensure is required for the job, but the agency will not pay for CLEs or even give administrative leave for any second not spent in class, meaning you have to use substantial amounts of your personal annual leave in order to meet the requirements of the job. Does not allow participation in interagency details (e.g. with the DoJ), and effectively works to ensure attorneys cannot transfer between divisions. Lack of communication from higher management. Most supervisors and upper management are not attorneys and do not understand attorneys. Easy work also means boring work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo long as the agency maintains its hostile posture toward attorneys and continues to prevent internal movement and advancement, the SSA will continue to bleed its best attorneys, from the most experienced to the younger stars. Moreover, so long as you continue to keep upper level decisions quiet until only days before they come into effect (Saturday overtime availability being announced on Thursday, for example), the entire staff will continue to have little faith in its leadership.

Great experience!

Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lawrence, KS

I worked at Social Security Administration as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe working environment is very friendly. The staff is quick to offer their support and guidance. This location is making a big effort in "going green" by reducing the amount of paper use. Kudos to them!

ConsInitially it seems like a great opportunity with possibilities to be hired full-time. While the new experience is valuable to the resume, the budget is quite limited which in turn lessens the hire-on potential.

Great place to learn about life!

ProsStable place to work with plenty of support, direction, and clarity.

ConsSlow growth (possibly due to recession aftermath) during my time there but even so I was given my pay increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing because it works!

Dead end unless you know someone in senior management

Debtor Contact Representative (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible schedule and job security

ConsIncompetent management. Complicated grade system.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency!

Working as a drone. Treated poorly by mgmt., no promotions, union is onsite for a reason

Customer Service (Former Employee)
Auburn, WA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent Pay I suppose, but not for the work you have to do.

ConsYou are treated like you are just a machine here. On the phone non stop for 8hrs a day and treated as if long more complicated calls are your fault. NO chance for advancement and if you do its based solely on friendships established with managers, highly biased. If you are late from break by 1 minute they reprimand you. Very rigid military style of work. Management goes out of their way to watch to make sure you are on the phones constantly, they watch your "on hold time" with a customer as punishment when you cannot get help from technical advisers. The union has to help most of the workers here from discrimination and poor treatment of the workers. Co-workers dont even acknowledge each other when walking past each other or make eye contact due to such poor morale and this is out of 600+ workers!

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove most of the senior members of management here. They cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuits. Look into complaints of discrimination seriously, its happening on a large scale at this location.

Current Political Climate Negatively Affects Ability to Perform Duties-Programmed Political Messages Delivered To Public

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob Security, Adequate Benefits, Government Positions However In This Field Are Not Growing Due To Budgetary Constraints. Good Peer Support.

ConsPolitical Climate Affects Ability to Perform Duties With Lack of Adequate Funding Resulting In Curtailed Hours of Operation & Lack Of Adequate Staffing; Programmed Political Messages Delivered To Public When Call In On Phone Revealing True Stance of Government Position-Defines Problem As Social Security Shortfall Rather Than Retirement Security Crisis. Actual Form Of Political Agenda Promotion Rather Than Statement of Facts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt Is Difficult To Operate In Such An Environment That Continues To Deliver Message That Services One Delivers Needs To Be Greatly Reduced Or Eliminated. Such Policies Need To Be Challenged And Questioned. The Services Provided By Social Security Are Earned Benefits By The People. Eliminate Politically Driven Messages Given To Public Disguised As Facts. More Opportunities For Public To Give Evaluations And Reviews For Experiences They Have With Social Security Online & Outside of Social Security Website. Too Insular And Therefore, Does Not Have Adequate Feedback Mechanisms In Place.

Hard to move up because of politics

Security Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 5 years

Prosflexible schedule, great work/life balance, good salary

Considiots get promoted. bureaucratic, and often confusing on the decisions that are made at a high level.

good place to work , but no increases or promotions

Office Automation Clerk (Current Employee)
Queens Village, NY

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 10 years

Prosyou can take off days if needed for family or sick

Consno advancement, if your an older work

Advice to Senior Managementno college trainning or personal skills

Stable career with good pay, but definitely not right for everyone.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Social Security Administration

ProsGood pay, good training, stability, room to advance

Conswork can be very dry and the environment can be stressful/hostile

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Social Security Administration reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Social Security Administration CEO Carolyn W. Colvin. All 172 reviews posted anonymously by Social Security Administration employees.