Social Security Administration

www.ssa.gov

Social Security Administration Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros
  • Work life balance is great if you don't care about salary(in 16 reviews)

• Benefits were great and flexible work schedule(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • 500 (I don't understand the arguments that federal employees make out better than private sector(in 6 reviews)

• Promotions are hard to come by because of budget issues(in 6 reviews)

Lower wages for higher work/life balance.

ProsLaid back environment.
    Easy to take leave as needed.
    Friendly employees.

ConsPromotional opportunity is weak. Advancement becomes increasingly political at higher levels (> 12) of the GS pay scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees accountable for results and promote those that deliver consistently.

Challenging work is there if you look for it

ProsNo shortage of work to do. Training is actually very good.

ConsInfrastructure slow to react. Technology is a bit dated and some workers simply incompetent or don't care about their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to empower the employees that care so they can move the agency forward.

SSA

Social Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible work schedule, Great work environment, Overtime availability pending budget, Option to work credit hours

ConsTuition reimbursement is nonexistent, travel opportunities are limited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would refer people to work here.

Contact Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits, decent salary, job security, 8 hr work days, and flex time. People often complain at my job about everything, but as long as you work hard, be grateful, and keep to yourself, you will have no problems.

ConsPromotions are hard to come by because of budget issues.

Decent place to work, however, very monotonous and thankless.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsJob Security, Overtime (When available), Vacation time.

ConsFavoritism, Office Politics, Easy to get trapped into your position track, Difficult to break into other facets of the agency.

claims representative

Claims Representative (Current Employee)

Prosgreat benefits, good pay, hours are great

Conspoor working conditions. it's numbers, numbers, numbers. never enough hours for the demand of what is being asked of you.

Advice to Senior Managementget in touch with reality!

Family friendly job, but very limited opportunities

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsSSA is flexible when you need time for family. It's an easy drive to work, the salary is decent and the buildings are now modern.

ConsThere is little chance for advancement. We were recently told they are top heavy, so don't expect any promotions. They are filling existing positions with anyone that already has that grade, whether qualified or not. If a job is posted, it is usually restricted to the current staff or immediate component, so there are very limited opportunities. They are also starting to downgrade positions (same work, but lower grade). Also, people brought in mid-career 10 years ago to gain the industry knowledge and replace the baby boomers, are now overlooked for promotions and new assignments.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to let employees apply across components. If you value the inter-component knowledge that is required on every posting, why promote people who have only worked in one area or have limited knowledge. Astrue (former comm.) was wrong when he said a manager doesn't have to know what they're managing. They also don't know what's falling through the cracks. Last, get rid of the SSA-45, used to apply for jobs since the 70's. Use a resume, like professional agencies.

Not very exciting work, but great perks

Contact Representative (Former Employee) Jamaica, NY

ProsRoom for advancement, security, flexibility, guaranteed annual raises, retirement, guaranteed job, work-life balance

ConsMonotonous, boring, same thing day in and day out, random listening to work phone calls, strong monitoring of computer access

Advice to Senior ManagementAwesome managers!

Technical expert

Technical Expert (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsI worked for this agency for over 40 years. I advanced as openings I was interested in became available. Benefits and pay very good.

ConsSome management difficult. Overall many times employees cause their own unhappiness.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe as fair as you can. Do not jump to conclusions.

Good Agency - Baltimore location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsLaid back; flex schedules and work at home options. Great benefits.

ConsGov't salary is lower than public sector, as expected, but you are also subject to any federal budget issues.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!