Social Security Administration

Updated May 18, 2014
Updated May 18, 2014
3.1

Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros
  • Work life balance is great if you don't care about salary (in 16 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, Great work environment, Overtime availability pending budget, Option to work credit hours (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget Issues cut my position after being informed it would continue for a year (in 6 reviews)

• 500 (I don't understand the arguments that federal employees make out better than private sector (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging to say the least

Current Employee - Title XVI Claims Representative in Balch Springs, TX
    Current Employee - Title XVI Claims Representative in Balch Springs, TX

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, some nice co workers the ones not over medicated.

Cons

You get lied to on an hourly basis by the public AND your managers. Management doesn't care about anything but stats. I thought I was going to be helping people not hurting them. I also didn't expect to be lied to during my interview by the management team. But I was. I hated seeing other employees so stressed out they would sit in their cars in the parking lot before and after work and cry.

None. My office was horribly managed. But I am sure others are not that bad. If there is a possible bomb in the building and a SWAT team with dogs is next to my cube, I want a little message on my screen as to why and how to proceed. They just pretended nothing bad ever happened so they didn't have to file incident reports. He had no chance of success as new hires to this office. none.

SSA-Are you sure you wouldn't rather just clean toilets for a living?

Former Employee - Legal in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Legal in Dallas, TX

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

Fair amount of sick and vacation leave annually

Cons

Rewards based on relationships with management, not merit.
    Management is completely incompetent with over-inflated egos stemming from the prestige of working at the least prestigious government agency in the country.
    Unreasonable amount of control freaks who request that you obtain permission for the most minimal requests. Co-workers joked that they may need to ask is it okay to use the bathroom.
    The experience gained here is not marketable. Unless you want to work with SSA your entire life, other employees will frown at your lack of experience.
    If you are an attorney, definitely steer clear of SSA. SSA claims that you will write legal "documents" but in reality, a monkey could be trained to prepare an SSA brief.

Be aware and actually concerned with the extremely low morale.

Social Security Administration Photos

Parking lot view of the Social Security Administration headquarter office located in Woodlawn, MD (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.178)
2121 Crystal Drive