Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Reviews

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015

Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros
  • Work life balance is great if you don't care about salary (in 17 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, Great work environment, Overtime availability pending budget, Option to work credit hours (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget Issues cut my position after being informed it would continue for a year (in 7 reviews)

• 500 (I don't understand the arguments that federal employees make out better than private sector (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Stable government career

Current Employee - Contact Representative in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Contact Representative in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training and great career advancement. The entry- level pay is rather low, but raises are automatic each year.

Cons

Chain of command structure is alive and well.

Don't micro-manage.

It's a great place to work!

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

Career advancement, convenient and employee oriented

Cons

Cubicles are very dull and the building is a bit gloomy

Wonderful place to be

Former Contractor - Training Consultant in Woodlawn, MD
    Former Contractor - Training Consultant in Woodlawn, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, people come here to work and stay.
    People leave to work at other agencies, and they come back to SSA.

Cons

Huge parking lot but lots of parking, a building you can take a 2 hour walk inside.

Don't expect an intimate place where you know everybody, this place is huge!

Keep doing what you are doing, this is a great place to work.

SSA

Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in New York, NY

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (less than a year)

Pros

very flexible hours and great benefits

Cons

I have not really discovered yet

they care about employees

Good intro to Government job

Former Employee - Customer Service Technician in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Technician in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every job has stress, but this was one of my least stressful. You learn to plan for your future by acquiring knowledge on SSA programs. You have a feeling of accomplishment when you help others. Good pay and benefits. No weekend work, which is a big pro.

Cons

Sometimes the people you are trying to help are not well mentally or are just upset and you are going to take the brunt of it. Government work is governed by rules, policies, and regulations; not always by common sense.

Be more personable and less robotic.

Management issues

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

Job security, work hours, some good people

Cons

horrible commute, management was pushy, employees were complainers and bossy

every one at the job tried to be a boss. Put people in there place.

Great Company to Work for!

Former Employee - Student Intern in Minden, LA
    Former Employee - Student Intern in Minden, LA

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

Laid back atmosphere and steady flow of work. Great benefits such as PTO and sick leave allowances.

Cons

More of the work is moving to computer database, but there is still alot of paperwork to your job. Work hours have also been cut.

Great management!

The worst place I ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time in Manhattan Ks.

Cons

Rude, Mean,Dishonest coworkers. Case workers are rude and sarcastic to the beneficiaries. Most look for ways to kick the beneficiaries off their benefits. They lie to the beneficiaries. We had many they kicked off show up at our office to file complaints, They just call the cops to get rid of them.The cops even said we were really hard to deal with that they was glad they didn't have to deal with us. They have case workers that are in the flint hills tea party and they want to get rid as many beneficiaries as they can .One comes to mind this man came in to try to find out what caused an over payment and they wouldn't tell him so he tried to appeal it and won. So the case worker said I will get him by assigning a representative payee to his claim and that will blank his day up..I think it is just to easy to wreck someone life up.. I know there is many that have a representative payee that don't need one. I know of three cases that the beneficiaries that told us to go to hell that this drama is not worth all this drama and fighting. I think two of them live on the streets.I will be quitting this job here when I find another office that isn't so bad or if all else fails a new career.the beneficiaries deserve Better

Get rid of the bad case workers and clean up your act and serve the public with respect and stop the abuse of power,assigning a representative payee has serious legal consequences for the beneficiary .Stop the few that print out files and handing them to tea party admins. I think the office here should be closed down and cleaned up .The chain of command is really alive. They hate whistle blowers.

Worst years of my life.

Former Employee - Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Claims Representative

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Money and benefits, but it isn't worth it.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Impossible workload. Needlessly complex. Training very poor and incomplete.
    This place will suck your soul dry. Pressure to do things you are not ethically comfortable with.

Employees treated lower than dirt. You only matter to management to the extent that you can be manipulated to make them look good. They couldn't care less about you.

Just because they tell you to do something does not mean they will back you up if an issue arises later. They will throw you under the bus.

Pressure to work overtime. They will make it difficult for you to use your credit hours. Pressure for short lunches/breaks. Relentless stress. You will never be caught up, no matter what you do.

Dealing with angry (and often non-compliant) members of the public, usually over things you have no control over (and often things even the agency has no control over). Inability to help people in the way that you would like to be able to do. No-win situation.

Document everything. Trust no one.

Chaos. Misery. Madness.

Avoid.

If you already work there, transferring to another office may let you get rid of your existing workload. A lateral transfer (transfer to another government agency) might be a possibility.

Learn to actually care about people. Don't assume you know everything.

Moving in the right direction

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee friendly, you have to really demonstrate poor performance to be disciplined. Performance apprasals are almost a joke, usually not containing quantifiable metrics. Benefits are great, as can usually be found in a Federal Government job.

Cons

A few years behind in technology with some areas possibly being measured in decades. Management structure could be streamlined. Government processes could be streamlined.

Social Security Administration Photos

Parking lot view of the Social Security Administration headquarter office located in Woodlawn, MD (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.178)
2121 Crystal Drive