Social Security Administration Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
262 reviews filtered by
Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros
  • Work life balance is great if you don't care about salary (in 17 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, Great work environment, Overtime availability pending budget, Option to work credit hours (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget Issues cut my position after being informed it would continue for a year (in 7 reviews)

• 500 (I don't understand the arguments that federal employees make out better than private sector (in 6 reviews)

1. Cliams Represenative

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

Stable work hours and great benefits
    Goverment match your contribution

Cons

Micro manage
    Very judgemental
    No promotion opportunities
    Not stable
    Your experience doesn't count as a professional experience outside of SSA

Advice to Management

Stop the micro managing. Appreicate your employee who fought with you during a battle. Don't scraific our career for your goal

The worst place I ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time in Manhattan Ks.

Cons

Rude, Mean,Dishonest coworkers. Case workers are rude and sarcastic to the beneficiaries. Most look for ways to kick the beneficiaries off their benefits. They lie to the beneficiaries. We had many they kicked off show up at our office to file complaints, They just call the cops to get rid of them.The cops even said we were really hard to deal with that they was glad they didn't have to deal with us. They have case workers that are in the flint hills tea party and they want to get rid as many beneficiaries as they can .One comes to mind this man came in to try to find out what caused an over payment and they wouldn't tell him so he tried to appeal it and won. So the case worker said I will get him by assigning a representative payee to his claim and that will blank his day up..I think it is just to easy to wreck someone life up.. I know there is many that have a representative payee that don't need one. I know of three cases that the beneficiaries that told us to go to hell that this drama is not worth all this drama and fighting. I think two of them live on the streets.I will be quitting this job here when I find another office that isn't so bad or if all else fails a new career.the beneficiaries deserve Better

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad case workers and clean up your act and serve the public with respect and stop the abuse of power,assigning a representative payee has serious legal consequences for the beneficiary .Stop the few that print out files and handing them to tea party admins. I think the office here should be closed down and cleaned up .The chain of command is really alive. They hate whistle blowers.

Worst years of my life.

Former Employee - Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Claims Representative

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Money and benefits, but it isn't worth it.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Impossible workload. Needlessly complex. Training very poor and incomplete.
    This place will suck your soul dry. Pressure to do things you are not ethically comfortable with.

Employees treated lower than dirt. You only matter to management to the extent that you can be manipulated to make them look good. They couldn't care less about you.

Just because they tell you to do something does not mean they will back you up if an issue arises later. They will throw you under the bus.

Pressure to work overtime. They will make it difficult for you to use your credit hours. Pressure for short lunches/breaks. Relentless stress. You will never be caught up, no matter what you do.

Dealing with angry (and often non-compliant) members of the public, usually over things you have no control over (and often things even the agency has no control over). Inability to help people in the way that you would like to be able to do. No-win situation.

Document everything. Trust no one.

Chaos. Misery. Madness.

Avoid.

If you already work there, transferring to another office may let you get rid of your existing workload. A lateral transfer (transfer to another government agency) might be a possibility.

Advice to Management

Learn to actually care about people. Don't assume you know everything.

Miserable

Former Employee - T2 Claims Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - T2 Claims Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Federal Benefits, Flexible Hours

Cons

Very understaffed to the point of doing a disservice to the public and to the employees. Employees are abused by management and expected to do impossible workloads. Training for new employees is very patchy, many employees are expected to perform duties they've never been trained to do. T2 employees taking disability claims and vice versa.

Advice to Management

Train employees in advanced topics better. Stand up for your employees instead of marginalizing them. Understand that SSA is understaffed and what you expect is impossible.

If you can't read or work hard work here

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

No mandatory over-time. You get off when an ex-President dies.

Cons

Management, computer system, no telecommuting, back-biting and bickering instead of working.

Advice to Management

Join the rest of the world and let people tele-commute.

Nepo-, what?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I heard from a reliable source that two members of management were trying to track down the specific party responsible for a negative review posted on this site by an employee. Oh, wait. I guess that's not a "pro" at all. Oops.

Cons

It is impossible to work here for any length of time and not witness several examples of egregious nepotism in hiring practices. With often times hundreds of interested people applying for the same job on USAJobs, I find it nearly impossible to believe that many of the people who are hired from those postings--who happen to be the family members of existing supervisors/management--really are the best qualified for the position. Additionally, there is a (quietly discussed) agreement among many employees that favoritism, race, and gender have as much to do with getting a detail/promotion as one's actual qualifications given the agency's strive towards proving how diverse it is.

Advice to Management

Crack down on nepotism and favoritism. Promote those who are best qualified for details and promotions without regard to the person's race or gender and how increasing one group's representation in management will make the agency appear. Employees will respect the process more if they believe they have a fair shot at getting something they worked hard to be considered for. Instead, as it stands, morale is incredibly low and hard workers begin to perform less, because they realize it matters very little in the grand scheme of things. Turnover becomes an issue, because disenfranchised employees have enough of it and look for other jobs in the federal government to apply to in hopes that the situation will improve elsewhere.

TSR

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

Met some great people. 8 hours a day. Overtime is optional.

Cons

Very Militant feel, guess that's how the Gov't runs things. Not what I had expected. This position is at the very bottom, the treatment is very poor. Employees are micromanaged. Some employees should not be employed with their lack of professionalism. Hence why the public has such a harsh opinion about SSA.

Advice to Management

Promotions should be based on performance and not based on who you know.

A work place for the ones who hear nothing, see nothing and feel nothing and sucking up is everything

Current Employee - Service Representative in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Garden Grove, CA

Pros

PROS:
    - seemingly stable job.
    - repetitive daily duties.
    - NOT need to be good at your job, in fact, satisfactory is perfectly acceptable, even if you want advancement. The key is NOT work hard, but SUCK IT UP hard.
    - cannot be forced to transfer to another work location.

Cons

CONS:
    - Requesting to be transferred is nearly impossible.
    - MUST join a group/gang/unit in your work location in order to be accepted there.
    - MUST suck it up to EVERYONE, especially all your bosses, all your bosses' friends, favorites, etc, basically everybody and anybody who is remotely connected to your bosses in anyway in order to NOT get on their bad sides.
    - MUST NOT complain to your bosses about anybody, anyone, anything.
    - MUST keep your mouth shut.
    - MUST hear nothing, see nothing, feel nothing, do not have any opinions.
    - Forget about your own morals, values, beliefs.
    - Again, the only thing you MUST remember is: SUCK IT UP HARD! That is ALL you need for every thing that you dream, want and need, trust me on this.
    - Offer your help to everyone, even if you are NOT done if your own work.
    - You are encouraged to work without compensation, like NOT take your break, lunch, NOT get paid for the extra time that you put in every day. You MUST request for extra paid time in advance and might or might not be approved.
    - MUST follow the workplace's culture. This is lethal. If you don't, you're out. Meaning, you will be an outcast.
    - Retaliation, harassment, nepotism, abuse of authority, abuse of government time and resources etc, and etc, all will be yours if you DO NOT follow each and all of the above.

Advice to Management

Create agency rules to correct the following issues:

Advancement/ Promotion is based on nepotism, favoritism, racism, and sucking up to all management.
    Retaliation and Harassment is common in the workplace, if fact, there is nothing employee can do about while being retaliated and harassed. Filing complaints take years and while waiting for anything, employees continue get tortured by all members of management.
    Corporate/Workplace culture is sucking up. This is implied and mandatory for advancement. The only real requirement for advancement. No one tells you this, but it is.
    Incompetent, lack of character,lack of education, lack of manner, lack of morale, lack of integrity, are those people who get promoted to be in management since all they did to get up was to SUCK IT UP. No wonder they lack all these things.

Most degrading place to work ever !!!

Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Richmond, CA

Pros

You get paid decently. That is about it.

Cons

People here are weird. Managers are total failures in life but because of seniority they become managers. Workers are lazy and anti social. Most of interactions between workers are fake and superficial at most, with entrenched hatred for each other under neath the surface. I work here for 6 years and I have never met someone who I want to hang out with outside of work. The place also instills a culture of intimidation and sexual harassment. If you are a guy, which I am, you are subjected to abuses behaviors by top staff. I was told to be more productive even though I have the top cases counts process per day. I was yelled at by a random manager who is not in charge of me but another mod in front of fellow employees. If you are a woman, it is very casual for men in the build to solicit "dates" from you. Also there is no way to block emails from perverted male co workers at work so most women ended up just suffering in silence. Managers won't do anything and that is the norm. Opportunity for advancement is very small unless your relatives are in upper management. But even if you advanced, you are bound to perform below the level and ends up dragging the institution down.

Advice to Management

Just disband this place.

If SSA is a representative of other government agencies, then our country is screwed!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodlawn, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodlawn, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is absolutely nothing good to say about this place.

Cons

Lack of any proper management. Corrupt higher management has created a hostile work environment. If you can't accept their judgement, then you will be bullied and harassed. No one wants to take responsibility for their lack of proper management and will always blame the other person. This agency needs to be audited and completely restructured, otherwise there will be nothing left for the working class today.

Advice to Management

Too many old school managers who lack any vision or forward thinking. The entire agency is years behind the main stream business sector in technology and proper management skills. The employees and the public who they serve are suffering from all of the waste this agency is causing.

Social Security Administration Photos

Parking lot view of the Social Security Administration headquarter office located in Woodlawn, MD (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.178)
2121 Crystal Drive