Social Security Administration Reviews

Reset

Just a job

Current Employee - Attorney-Advisor in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Attorney-Advisor in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Steady employment. The organization has the overall mission of helping people in need. Government benefits. Reasonable hours. Depending on your position you can gain experience in several different areas.

Cons

Most employees think of work as "just a job." Can feel more like a factory worker than a professional. Not much is done to increase employee engagement or satisfaction besides federal government benefits.

2. Claims Representative

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

The environment was friendly. Good co-workers. Got a chance to help people and learned a lot.

Cons

It can get stressful as the volume of work can be very high at times.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for advancement.

3. Claims Representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex time, government benefits, mobility

Cons

Heavy workload not commensurate with salary

5. Job

Former Employee - HOSA in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - HOSA in Houston, TX

I worked at Social Security Administration (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was the hours and benifits

Cons

Pay could be more competitive

6. A very bad place to work. Job is fun, but managers broke the place

Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I started here a few year back. The training is easy, the job is fun. you do make a difference in a lot of people lives. I love working at my current position but i am waiting for tele work to kick in so i don't have to see most of my coworkers. I archive permanent status so i can just do what i want and disregard the bad management. job is not stressful as people whines about and if someone complains that the job is stressful they just lazy and act high and mighty.

Cons

A lot of nepotism. Managers or senior staff mostly never went to college and a lot of people getting paid as gs 11 or gs 12 without even complete a high school diploma. If you know people you get promoted, even if you are bad at your job. co workers are anti social mostly because they are too afraid of talking to crazy people working at the place. the parking lot has double camera coverage on every column of parkings because of drugs problem. Homeland security regularly drugs search with k 9 unit. a manager got arrested on a fugitive warrant in FL due to DUIs. When his wife, another manager ( note the nepotism) comes clean out of his desk they found a stack of naked pictures of his mistress who he promoted into the leadership development program.

Advice to Management

you ever wonder why people leave the place ? it is you and not the job. I am just biting my times before i leave too. there is no advancement opportunity for me but just so you know i got 2nd job that i don't tell you about

7. Benefits authorizer

Pros

Good benefits, challenging work

Cons

Backed logged cases, little advancement oppurtunities

Good job, dry work

Current Employee - Attorney Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great management, low stress environment, friendly work environment, good work life balance, flexible schedule. Tele-working and good leave policy. Paid federal holidays. Certain discounts for government employees from some companies.

Cons

Little room for advancement, dry work. The salary is lower than what a competitive firm would pay an attorney in the private sector, and with little room for advancement in the attorney position, there is not much to look forward to unless you want to enter a management role.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You've created a nice work environment. On a broader, agency-wide scale, I would suggest performance bonuses for employees in non-decision-making positions.

9. Meaningful work, but can wear you down.

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

You really get to help some people. It's touching.

Cons

You never lose a claimant. You'll be answering questions from them for years. Every week you get 30 more claimants. It adds up, and eventually you can't keep up with the follow-ups.

Advice to Management

Employees need more time to catch up with their backlog.

10. Westcoast Metropolitan Patrol

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

Awesome staff Very flexible Great locations Organized Caring Competitive pay opportunity for growth

Cons

A lot of locations do not have microwaves to bring your own food a lot of locations does not have a security office

Advice to Management

You guys are doing an amazing job, only thing is maybe when company grows more and more, try to get security guard offices

11. Seniro Case Technician

Current Employee - Senior Case Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Case Technician in Dallas, TX

Pros

Flex time Paid Training self management

Cons

slow upward mobility Few opportunities Constant changing of management

Advice to Management

engage employees

RSS Feed </> Embed