Social Security Administration Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Management issues

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

Job security, work hours, some good people

Cons

horrible commute, management was pushy, employees were complainers and bossy

Advice to Management

every one at the job tried to be a boss. Put people in there place.

The worst place I ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time in Manhattan Ks.

Cons

Rude, Mean,Dishonest coworkers. Case workers are rude and sarcastic to the beneficiaries. Most look for ways to kick the beneficiaries off their benefits. They lie to the beneficiaries. We had many they kicked off show up at our office to file complaints, They just call the cops to get rid of them.The cops even said we were really hard to deal with that they was glad they didn't have to deal with us. They have case workers that are in the flint hills tea party and they want to get rid as many beneficiaries as they can .One comes to mind this man came in to try to find out what caused an over payment and they wouldn't tell him so he tried to appeal it and won. So the case worker said I will get him by assigning a representative payee to his claim and that will blank his day up..I think it is just to easy to wreck someone life up.. I know there is many that have a representative payee that don't need one. I know of three cases that the beneficiaries that told us to go to hell that this drama is not worth all this drama and fighting. I think two of them live on the streets.I will be quitting this job here when I find another office that isn't so bad or if all else fails a new career.the beneficiaries deserve Better

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad case workers and clean up your act and serve the public with respect and stop the abuse of power,assigning a representative payee has serious legal consequences for the beneficiary .Stop the few that print out files and handing them to tea party admins. I think the office here should be closed down and cleaned up .The chain of command is really alive. They hate whistle blowers.

Expect the worst here, and maybe then you will like it

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Daly City, CA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Reasonable salary (on the lower end of average)
    • Somewhat flexible hours

Cons

• Management training issues
    • Issues with bias, favoritism, nepotism - mostly with management
    • Employee's lacking basic skills like spelling, many employees never got a college degree
    • Mostly Christian staff, religious favoritism - mostly by employees
    • Outdated computer system
    • Outdated software
    • Desperately need for staff user experience/interface designers at the Baltimore office
    • Salary caps off, no room to grow
    • Employee's with a lot of personal issues (that they bring to work)
    • Bureaucracy, it is not for everyone
    • No praise, no support from management
    • No tele-commuting
    • Lots of sick people in the office (you will get sick often)
    • Stressful situations with customers/clients, sometimes management will not support you as the employee

Advice to Management

Thank your employees that do a good job, remind people why they want to work here daily (because it is a stressful job). Support your employees for career growth and happiness at their jobs. Pressure for better computer software or fix the bugs in the existing software - way too many issues.

Worst years of my life.

Former Employee - Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Claims Representative

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Money and benefits, but it isn't worth it.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Impossible workload. Needlessly complex. Training very poor and incomplete.
    This place will suck your soul dry. Pressure to do things you are not ethically comfortable with.

Employees treated lower than dirt. You only matter to management to the extent that you can be manipulated to make them look good. They couldn't care less about you.

Just because they tell you to do something does not mean they will back you up if an issue arises later. They will throw you under the bus.

Pressure to work overtime. They will make it difficult for you to use your credit hours. Pressure for short lunches/breaks. Relentless stress. You will never be caught up, no matter what you do.

Dealing with angry (and often non-compliant) members of the public, usually over things you have no control over (and often things even the agency has no control over). Inability to help people in the way that you would like to be able to do. No-win situation.

Document everything. Trust no one.

Chaos. Misery. Madness.

Avoid.

If you already work there, transferring to another office may let you get rid of your existing workload. A lateral transfer (transfer to another government agency) might be a possibility.

Advice to Management

Learn to actually care about people. Don't assume you know everything.

Government employment

Former Employee - Telephone Service Representative in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Telephone Service Representative in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

Excellent benefits and not much else.

Cons

Horrible work environment. Micro management. Management operates as a "US vs THEM" system. Never received any encouragement to advance.

Advice to Management

Let the people you hired just do their jobs. BACK OFF !!!

7. Great Company to Work for!

Former Employee - Student Intern in Minden, LA
    Former Employee - Student Intern in Minden, LA

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

Laid back atmosphere and steady flow of work. Great benefits such as PTO and sick leave allowances.

Cons

More of the work is moving to computer database, but there is still alot of paperwork to your job. Work hours have also been cut.

Advice to Management

Great management!

Intense faced paced training with little personal attention sends out partially trained staff doomed to fail.

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Geneva, NY
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Geneva, NY

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

Good pay and benefits lure you in.

Cons

Advice to Management

Give your new hires the full time and attention they need to succeed.

Moving in the right direction

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee friendly, you have to really demonstrate poor performance to be disciplined. Performance apprasals are almost a joke, usually not containing quantifiable metrics. Benefits are great, as can usually be found in a Federal Government job.

Cons

A few years behind in technology with some areas possibly being measured in decades. Management structure could be streamlined. Government processes could be streamlined.

SSA

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

Telework, flexible schedule, overtime, decent pay.

Cons

No room for growth for attorney advisors. Managers play favoritism and are not objective in supervising. They expect to do whatever they please and if challenged on their wrongdoing, or a grievance is filed, they make your life miserable.

Advice to Management

The Agency is only as good as its leaders. Get reviews from workers on how the managers are doing and USE it to train the persons in authority.

Miserable

Former Employee - T2 Claims Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - T2 Claims Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Federal Benefits, Flexible Hours

Cons

Very understaffed to the point of doing a disservice to the public and to the employees. Employees are abused by management and expected to do impossible workloads. Training for new employees is very patchy, many employees are expected to perform duties they've never been trained to do. T2 employees taking disability claims and vice versa.

Advice to Management

Train employees in advanced topics better. Stand up for your employees instead of marginalizing them. Understand that SSA is understaffed and what you expect is impossible.

RSS Feed </> Embed