Social Security Administration Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Most degrading place to work ever !!!

Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid decently. That is about it.

Cons

People here are weird. Managers are total failures in life but because of seniority they become managers. Workers are lazy and anti social. Most of interactions between workers are fake and superficial at most, with entrenched hatred for each other under neath the surface. I work here for 6 years and I have never met someone who I want to hang out with outside of work. The place also instills a culture of intimidation and sexual harassment. If you are a guy, which I am, you are subjected to abuses behaviors by top staff. I was told to be more productive even though I have the top cases counts process per day. I was yelled at by a random manager who is not in charge of me but another mod in front of fellow employees. If you are a woman, it is very casual for men in the build to solicit "dates" from you. Also there is no way to block emails from perverted male co workers at work so most women ended up just suffering in silence. Managers won't do anything and that is the norm. Opportunity for advancement is very small unless your relatives are in upper management. But even if you advanced, you are bound to perform below the level and ends up dragging the institution down.

Advice to Management

Just disband this place.

Wouldn't recommend

Former Employee - Attorney Adviser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney Adviser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked in three different ODARs (hearing offices), two ok, one abysmal. Good benefits, predictable hours, some decent people work here.

Cons

Some really messed up people work in some ODARs in positions of control, and can make your life miserable. Other offices have people in control who are just plain incompetent. My understanding is the good offices are ok to work at, but anywhere you work the writing is dull and you're only working toward retirement.

Advice to Management

Upper management: come visit your ODARs, talk with the writers and support staff. You'll get a much better picture of what's going on than just listening to local admin's sugar coating.

If SSA is a representative of other government agencies, then our country is screwed!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodlawn, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodlawn, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is absolutely nothing good to say about this place.

Cons

Lack of any proper management. Corrupt higher management has created a hostile work environment. If you can't accept their judgement, then you will be bullied and harassed. No one wants to take responsibility for their lack of proper management and will always blame the other person. This agency needs to be audited and completely restructured, otherwise there will be nothing left for the working class today.

Advice to Management

Too many old school managers who lack any vision or forward thinking. The entire agency is years behind the main stream business sector in technology and proper management skills. The employees and the public who they serve are suffering from all of the waste this agency is causing.

5. Great.

Current Employee - Hearing Monitor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Hearing Monitor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It pays really well. Scheduling is done easily as long as you can get a contract. You get to work with some really renown Admin Law Judges and attorneys.

Cons

Because Im under contract, there's no upward mobility. Its often times really dull. The work is repetitive. It's a great job for someone like me who is in college.

6. My experience was great

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

The pay was great and the hours were flexible

Cons

The production were sometime impossible to meet

Advice to Management

Judge on a case by case

7. Great government agency if you wan to go into civil service.

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

People, training, working for the government gives a sense of safety. Work-life balance good.

Cons

growth difficult in government hierarchy, salary based on time not potential. Reason work-life balance is so good is that you cannot bring much work home. Sometimes that is undesirable.

Advice to Management

Break down old ways of doing things. Adopt newer workplace practices to attract younger candidates.

SSA

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

There is generous paid time off.

Cons

Budget issues. No room to grow or advance anymore.

Advice to Management

Stop using the excess money at the end of the fiscal year on useless items just so you claim all the money was spent and needed. The government needs to find a better way to use this money rather than going on a shopping spree on the taxpayer's dime. Employee evaluation system also needs to be updated.

You get out of it what you put into it. It can be a good career, if you want it to be.

Former Employee - Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Claims Representative

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Number one reason is the pay--claims reps are well compensated for their work. They start off well paid and have regular scheduled raises. Very generous leave as well. Good health care benefits.

Cons

Over the past 8 years, SSA seems to believe that replacing people with computers is the solution to all its problems. The workforce is demoralized. Pension is not so good now that all new employees (since 1983) are under Social Security--I guess that is only fair but even the employees know that Social Security is a rip-off pension. Heavy workloads is most offices (but still some employees do very little work--they will never get fired, so why bother?)

Advice to Management

I personally think the creation of " technical expert" job was a mistake. I never wanted to be in management but I did get a lot of satisfaction out of mentoring new employees and conducting training--once we got a "technical expert" I was never given these opportunities again because that was the "tech expert" job.

10. DDS

Current Employee - Disability Examiner in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Disability Examiner in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours; there is extensive training

Cons

a lot of writing all day. answers or assessments are not black and white and are often gray.

High Levels of Employee Despair

Former Employee - Social Insurance Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Social Insurance Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good place for those without high levels of education who just want a paycheck without working too hard. Flexible work hours, guaranteed time off, high salaries for non-professionals, guaranteed employment.

Cons

Very disfunctional. Poor management. Culture of low expectations and achievement. Limited promotional potential. Quality work not expected or recognized. Just a very sad work environment. High levels of employee despair. Employees not empowered. Not a good option for professionals who want to satisfy thier potential. Management promotes poor performers just to get them out of that department.

Advice to Management

Employees should be promoted based on merit, not "time in grade" or who they know. Should share information and authority down the line and not ignore employee advice.

RSS Feed </> Embed