SocialKaty
www.socialkaty.com Chicago, IL 16 to 50 Employees

SocialKaty Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014
SocialKaty – Chicago – “Work Space”

Craig Ulliott

Great place to gain out-of-college experience

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at SocialKaty full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, young and fun, social environment with lots of happy hours and after-work hangouts, good hands-on experience

ConsDifficult to move up, not much variety in positions, lack of structure with upper management, disorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementSegment roles and create more opportunities to advance

Loved working here!

Social Media Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at SocialKaty as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people at SK really make everything worth it. Everyone's general attitude is to help each other. Upper management makes sure that employees don't give you mindless tasks. The internship is highly educational, and used as a recruiting/initiating process for the company. "Learning Fridays" provides continuing education for employees

ConsThere is no place for employees to talk on the phone with clients, so you constantly get shushed, even though it is lunch time and you are in the lunch room (which is not enclosed). Poor communication from upper management regarding when clients leave. Interns have to bring their own computers. Seems like there is a general disconnect between what upper management wants and what employees want.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more approachable.

Great learning environment and fun to come into work each day!

I have been working at SocialKaty full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees are smart, motivated, creative, and all extremely hard workers. It makes coming into work each day very rewarding to know that you're part of a top notch team. The openness of the office is also great for collaborating and brainstorming amongst teams. Since I've been here, the office has doubled in size which is very exciting for being such a young company! Management is genuinely interested in keeping the team up to date with training and always being able to provide their clients with the highest quality of work.

ConsDepending on your client, work loads can be heavy at times. Social media is always on, so you must always be aware of what's trending and how it could affect your client. I think this is something that makes the job exciting and different each day, but some people may get stressed with always being "on."

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep signing bigger and better clients!

Amazing culture. Amazing company.

I have been working at SocialKaty full-time for more than a year

ProsFun, open, collaborative culture. Great clients, great people.

ConsThe agency is somewhat small. They are getting beyond the startup phase, but not all of their clients are big companies.

Advice to Senior Managementsign bigger clients.

A Culture That Breeds Creativity

I have been working at SocialKaty full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company has an amazing culture that rewards hard work and sparks creativity. The organization's passion for the work and the clients we work with really made me fall in love with this company. Although there is always a lot going on, management does a great job balancing accounts, making sure account managers are not over booked, and all clients get proper time and attention. Senior managers are also effective at guiding my engagements and overseeing the work that I am doing. It is always great to have that team support. Finally, if you want to work in the social media industry you need to stay on the cutting edge. The frequent continued education is great for me to keep up with new trends, platforms, features, and techniques in the industry.

ConsThis is a fast paced agency environment where everyone has a good amount of responsibilities. If you are not organized, motivated, and passionate you will not be able to keep up. I actually like this type of structure, but it is definitely not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep bringing in new and exciting clients!

Social Media Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SocialKaty as an intern

ProsYou go through a mini, intense training your first week. It introduces you to all social platforms and some of the best practices. Think of it like a one week crash course on social media you never had in college (super helpful!). After that, you get on the floor with the rest of the team and dip your hands in different projects: day-to-day messaging, writing blogs, creating competitive analyses and other tasks for a wide array of clients. The staff are really great and can you easily get along with everyone. The organizational culture is pretty relaxed and your assigned team is very accommodating to your working hours. The company really tries to do fun activities every two weeks or so. It's a very young environment.

ConsYou don't always get the chance to work on a project from concept to completion. You tend to just jump in and help the account managers on your team. You really have to stress any particular project you would like to work on and remind your team. For instance: if you want to learn more about Google Analytics or Facebook Ads, remind your team constantly that you want to learn more about that otherwise, you spend your days pinning on Pinterest or doing Twitter bundles.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work a bit more on the internship program. It was hard to get feedback on interns' work since the team leaders were juggling their handful. It was a bit unclear who we could go to for feedback, middle management or upper management. Having clear goals for the expectations from both sides at the start of the program and committing to them would be helpful.

Business Development Internship - Not What I Expected :(

Business Development Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at SocialKaty as an intern for less than a year

Pros- You have the opportunity to see the sales process from beginning to end, and you do get hands on training such as leading the sales calls with clients & creating proposals.
- The employees are great people. Hard workers.
- The office is located in River North, a really nice area.

Cons- This is primarily an outbound sales internship. You sit in a chair all day sending out emails to businesses in hopes to secure an introductory meeting. Also, you are in the back office room, isolated from everyone and everything else. The majority of the time, everyone has their headphones in so there isn't a lot of chatting or laughing.
- Going out to lunch was ill-advised, so expect to bring your lunch everyday and to eat WHILE you work at your computer. Upper management explicitly stated, "my team works while they eat."
- Hopefully you have an unlimited calling plan because you will be using your cell phone minutes with no reimbursement. You also have to bring in your own personal laptop.
- Upper management is under-qualified when it comes to training interns. I expected constant feedback throughout the internship, but received very little.
- Communication throughout the internship was poor. At the halfway point of the internship was a review session. We were asked what else we wanted to learn. I gave 4-5 ideas, but none were followed through with. Just more outbound emails every day.
- Make sure you sit up right in your chair and purchase a wrist supporter or else you back pain and tendonitis may occur in the wrist from clicking & typing all day.
- Upper management is young, and some seemed to be on a power trip.

Advice to Senior Management- Hold yourself accountable. You asked us for advice, but dismissed it. You asked for our strongest work ethic, but neglected our training after the initial few weeks. How does this motivate us to work harder?
- Get to know your own interns. How many times did I have to initiate conversation? Most days I would walk into the room and not even receive so much as a "Hi" or "How was your weekend?" Take interest in getting to know your interns on a personal level.

Low morale, high-stress

Community Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at SocialKaty full-time for less than a year

ProsThe actual staff members (community managers, middle management) are great -- everyone treats each other like close friends and everyone enjoys each other's company and has fun together. The company also have an unlimited vacation day policy.

ConsThe number of clients per community manager makes it impossible to deliver quality results to clients. As a result, account managers have to choose between doing sub-par work for their clients OR sacrificing their personal life just to maintain a fair standard of client work. Bad business model means that management continues to pile clients onto already overworked community managers with little regard to client satisfaction or community manger happiness.

The pay rate is low based on the fact that most employees work over 60 hours per week. It's impossible to be remotely successful in this job without working nights and weekends.

While the company is very lax w. vacation and personal days, you'll never actually be able to rest. 101 fever? Too bad, you have client work to get done and there's no one there that can pick up the slack when someone is out sick. You'll just end up working from home/working through your entire vacation.

Social Katy does not offer benefits. Promises of benefits are continaully made but never kept. Many employees accepted the position under the promise that insurance would be provided within "a few weeks", then were extremely upset when months went by with no follow-through.

Employee morale is very, very low. Staff is overworked, underpaid, underappreciated. The only joy in this position are the staff themselves. This company HEMORRHAGES employees. Their turnover rate is laughable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany great employees have been driven out. You are losing your best assets and the people that are making YOU money.

Respect your employees and think about how YOU would want to be treated.

Quit making false promises that you have no intention of keeping.

The veil has been lifted-- SocialKaty is going downhill and fast

Social Media Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at SocialKaty full-time for less than a year

ProsMost of the account managers that work there are great people and it's really the only thing that makes the entire experience bearable.

ConsNo benefits program despite numerous promises
50-60 hours are expected and needed in order for the accounts to prove worth to their clients-- although only a 40 hour work week is compensated for
New clients keep on being brought on and expected to be picked up by the already stressed out and overworked managers

Advice to Senior ManagementWith managers being overloaded, the content and attention is only going to continue to dwindle. This will continue to lead to accounts dropping from the program and more hard-working individuals to be let go for no reason.

Worked for SocialKaty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SocialKaty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SocialKaty CEO Craig Ulliott. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by SocialKaty employees.