SocialMedia.org

www.socialmedia.org

SocialMedia.org Reviews

Updated May 22, 2014

Andy Sernovitz

Where the grass truly is greener

Prosthe crew: Amazing, Inspiring, Talented, and Caring. There isn't anything that your colleague won't do for you and the collaboration here is great. You can speak freely about your ideas without feeling like you're putting someone else ideas down; it mostly turns to evolving the project at hand into greatness.

the work: you get to work in/on/for a community that is focus on doing the right thing in social. Showcasing their successes and helping people help each other be better.

the culture: positive, creative, open. For a group so dedicated on getting things done, making it happen and all at 130%, you'd think that the hours would be long and weekends expected. Honestly, I've never had a better work/life balance.

ConsWe work between 2 offices, Austin and Chicago. While communication is great, it's a bummer that you can't just hang out with everyone you work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being transparent and focused on the big picture

A rewarding, challenging, and fun place to work with some really smart people

ProsThe people: Every co-worker is talented, passionate, and the type of person you'd want to get a beer with after work (seriously -- everyone from senior leadership down to the folks just starting their careers).

The business: We've got a great product that truly helps companies be more successful, and every day we focus on making it a little bit better.

The lifestyle: We work hard and we really care about building a great company -- but we're also great at not working late, not losing our weekends, and taking vacations when we need to. Family actually comes first here.

ConsIt's a unique company that openly admits it's not for everyone. Some things to keep in mind:

We collaborate (a lot): We push and poke and rework things until they're great. This almost always involves a lot of collaboration, brainstorming, editing, and refining until we get it just right.

We're transparent: There are no quarterly reviews, no layers of management to hide behind, and the results of our work are often out in the open for everyone to see.

Things move fast: While bigger companies may have elaborate training programs -- new hires here are expected to contribute right away. We're friendly (you won't be thrown into the deep end without a life preserver) but you will be expected to be a contributing teammate from day one.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith growth comes the challenge of maintaining the value, culture, and focus that got you there. Keep working to keep it great.

Great mission, great values and great people.

ProsOpen, honest, transparent communication from leadership about where we're going. The leadership doesn't go away for a weekend and come back and tell everybody what we're doing next. They share what they're thinking, welcome input (collaboration is huge here), and admit they don't have it all figured out. Very refreshing. If you're looking to get off the corporate/IPO train and have some work/life balance, this is a good place to check out. And we have a pretty awesome mission: helping the good guys win.

ConsNot sure if this is a con. More of a suggestion. You can't coast here. You have to bring your A game everyday or you won't last long. Wish the family insurance was a little more affordable (I know this is harder with a smaller company).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the honest and transparent communication. Hire the right people to keep the great culture we have as we grow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great work, open environment and creativity

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI'm working with SocialMedia.org as part of a school internship and have been really please with what I've been able to do. I rotate within all teams every two weeks and not only get a chance to get to know the people in each department (via Skype, since HQ is in Austin), but I get to contribute to work that they would do themselves. Most exciting is writing content for their newsletter or tweeting; it allows a lot of creativity. They'll send you right home if you're feeling sick and everyone is more than friendly. They all care a great amount about the work that they're doing. Very positive environment.

ConsI feel I could do more work. Chicago office is a little quiet/not as much group interaction, though this may be because they have focus time in the mornings T/Th, when I work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove that you're being transparent and that it's all about the bigger picture.

Great people. Great product. Exciting future.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe people who work here are awesome and care about their work and each other. The "product" is an amazing community of good people and it's fun to see how much value they get out of the service. It's also super cool to be working with the biggest brands on the planet specifically around social media (possibly the hottest topic).

ConsThe company can occasionally suffer from ADD and most of your friends won't have ever heard of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Beware! They will treat you like you're expendable! RUN!!!

Community Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsUnfortunately none! Lots of unfulfilled promises and micromanagement!

ConsThey cycle through employees and don't feel bad about it. Once they decide you "are no longer a fit", which happens often and can happen anytime (usually within first 3 months), they will fire you. You are always on a probationary period here. They will hire new employees with lots of promises and not deliver.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with yourselves. There's a reason why A LOT of people are no longer there. You want the best but you have no employee loyalty and you lie to prospective employees about why the position is open. The people that are still there are just stuck there.

Worked for SocialMedia.org? Contribute to the Community!