Society Consulting

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.5

Chad Richeson

Best Place I Have Ever Worked!

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, training available to all employees, fair, personable and fun culture. This is a fast paced company that has aggressive goals but clearly makes the employees a priority.

Cons

There is nothing significant to identify as a Con for working at Society

Used to be a great place to work

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of project variation, decent morale events, ability to network with multiple different tech companies. If you are a dog person, you can bring your dog to work.

Cons

No 401k match, no bonus structure, ownership is greedy and elitist. This company has grown to a point that the current regime is no longer able to manage.

If you transition into a new contract, you will not get a raise. They rationalize this by stating that raises come at annual review time. It doesn't matter if you are "promoting" into a new role with increased responsibilities and challenges, they will use any and all angles to avoid a pay raise. They also gouge employees on bill rate, and justify this because the ownership has chosen to HQ out of a high end retail location as opposed to an actual office.

Start working to retain talent as opposed to increasing profit.

High Turnover of Management and Consultants

Current Employee - Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They get that corporate culture matters. Fun Happy Hours, Wine Tastings, Brown Bags.

Cons

Those lucky few who continue to get promoted are the ones who work on internal projects or more than one client or threaten to leave the company. For the remaining 90% of us that work with just one client, there is no room for growth. Turnover is incredibly high and nobody acknowledges it!

Execs should try to get to know us all, not just the ones who are helping them with internal work.

Fun culture, great pay, great benefits.

Current Employee - SCCM Support Engineer Tier III in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - SCCM Support Engineer Tier III in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Society is awesome. They frequently host happy hour events at local restaurants, and overall maintain a fun, happy environment. Shorts and t-shirts are normal attire even for the CEO. There are dogs running around the office most of the time, and likely someone having a drink. The pay is highly competitive, and the structure works. It's a very fast growing company with endless opportunities in the near future.

Cons

If you are used to a more professional, rigid atmosphere, society might be a bit of a tough transition.

Cannot be Trusted

Current Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee incentive programs rewarding those who bring in new business and hire friends.

Cons

At the last company meeting, an employee asked when the company is going to start matching 401k due to the fact that we have tripled in revenue in the past two years. The whole room starting clapping. Employees are angry and it's starting to show. Other questions included why there was no follow up to an employee incentive program which generated hundreds of leads. Are they considering a buy out? Will they create an ESOP program? When will they provide more vacation days? Are they doing anything to promote growth from within? Their answers were that revenue was being spent to promote growth outside of Seattle and hiring of new employees. They explicitly said they are not going to reinvest in existing employees. These owners are slimy. They chew up their consultants and spit them out. If you are considering a job at Society, don't be fooled by the awards they are winning. Turnover is at an all time high. Beware.

Perhaps my worst professional experience

I worked at Society Consulting as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Charity work
    Great food
    Good engineering leadership
    A few individual team members provide tremendous spirit

Cons

Poor hiring and promotion practices - so many people unqualified for the work they are doing
    Complete lack of program management
    Absentee upper management, abysmal lower management
    Small company with cumbersome operating overhead of a much larger company
    Dishonesty taints too many interactions and relationships
    Egos regularly overtake sensibility and fairness
    Lack of female leadership is strongly felt

It's time for some serious house cleaning. Evaluate people based on skills and track record, not based on how well they fit into the boys' club. Train your management team. Hire some women in leadership positions. You've gained a reputation for being strong on technology but weak on business and professionalism. Work to fix that. All the charity drives in the world can't make up for abusing your employees.

Mixed

I have been working at Society Consulting

Pros

Smart people, casual atmosphere, nice office design.

Cons

If you're a woman, you'll do fine here. Unless you are a serious IT type, in which case, you will be in a secondary role to "the boys".

It's nice that people are allowed to bring their pooches to work, but please clean up the p**p outside! Seriously! :(

Great direction at a company with a bright future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Society Consulting full-time

Pros

- Smart people
    - Strategic leadership
    - Good client opportunities

Cons

- Very localized; few markets to move to
    - Most interesting projects are only for the top of the boys club
    - No advancement structure for lowly consultants

Focus on building out the junior leaders you already have rather than the big name additions at the top. Tread carefully on propagating the culture of revenue generation above all else.

Fantastic

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easily the best company I've worked for. Everything that should be in line, is. Leadership is knowledge, forward thinking, and knows when to let others do their work instead of micromanaging. Great training provided periodically, and lots of social events to network both inside and outside the company.

I came from a much larger (Big 4) company and can say Society blows my previous one out of the water. Management really cares about your career progression and goes out of their way to support you and make sure you have what you need - which is how it should be.

Fair pay and honest negotiation.

Cons

Unsure about promotion system, but honestly I'm happy enough here that I couldn't care less about my title. Days off could be better - the standard offer of 10 isn't very many, especially for senior employees.

Keep it up! Continue looking out for your employees and make sure everyone has fun!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Probably one of the best companies I've ever worked for,especially compared to my last company. The company as a whole truly cares about its employees and their success. They want to make sure that you are happy with your projects and bend over backwards to make sure you have everything you need.

Society also has many events and trainings that employees can take advantage of.

Cons

While the majority of the benefits are fantastic, the time off benefit and insurance can really use some work. The average time off at most companies is 4 weeks in your first year (2 weeks vacation, 1 week PTO and 1 week sick). Society combines these into one bucket, which is great! And you can borrow against your bucket (with limits), but you only get 10 days your first year.

Society does provide health coverage for the employee at no cost (depending on the plan). Dependent coverage is available, but you pay 100% of the premium. The insurance plan is also not very good - I've see better plans at other companies that had higher coverage amounts for lower cost (even taking into account the company paid 50% of dependent coverage). My advice - if you don't need dependent coverage, don't worry about it. But if you do, take that into consideration when negotiating salary.

Keep up the great work! You are doing fantastic things and your employees are loving it. But please consider making the time off and health insurance a bit more competitive. If those were improved, this would be the perfect company!