Society Consulting Reviews

Chad Richeson

overall positive experience

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not sure where all the negativity is coming from for other reviewers - I've been working at Society almost two years and it's actually pretty great!

There is a sincere (and recently re-invigorated) effort to value employees, to keep people informed about what's going on in terms of company growth, financials, etc, and to have a good time whenever possible. It's a true consultancy firm in the sense that things are always in flux - business relationships, contracts, projects etc. So that kind of shifting ground has to be something individuals are comfortable with to flourish here, but if you can roll with a lot of change, you can really go places.

What I appreciate most is the sense of being part of a company and a culture, even though so many of us work off-site. That is tough to accomplish but I real feel it at Society.

Cons

Salaries are solid but benefits are not. The leadership team has been made painfully aware of employee dissatisfaction around this and is taking (baby) steps to enhance things like vacation time and 401k matching, but there's a long way to go.

There is always a push for the rank and file to do business development. Admittedly, a lot of business growth happens organically from the roots up and consultants out in the field are the best source of leads. However, an effective sales team is also required, and the emphasis on non-sales people doing bus dev is unfortunate - I've known at least one awesome colleague who left specifically because he got tired of that push.

Advice to Management

Let the people who are comfortable doing bus dev do it, and don't push others who are great at their jobs do things they don't want to participate in - it's a great way to lose good talent.

Balance the recent focus on time tracking and forecasting by reminding people how much they're valued as humans, not just resources.

Focus less on geo-expansion, or at least reduce the concentration to 1 other office rather than 3. Bring the CEO home to be a leader at HQ - his absence is definitely felt.

Sr. Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work atmosphere, decent level of transparency within teams, owners and executive leadership seem to be strong (no obvious in-fighting amongst the upper ranks). Society is very generous and flexible about work arrangements, as long as you are a strong producer and your client is happy. It's a great place for self-motivated and self-directed people.

Cons

Compared to the other top firms in the industry, benefits are average at best. But they are very transparent about them and have had many honest, open discussion with employees about it. The 401k match is only 1% with 3yr vesting, and the health plan basically discourages you from insuring your dependents. But there is an HSA and Society contributes $1,000k per year, which is nice. Maternity leave is unpaid and only 1 month above FMLA (so 4 months total), which is the lowest of any place I've worked.

Meh

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Society Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, social events, some interesting projects.

Cons

Poor communication, no career growth opportunities.

An exceedingly mediocre place to work for talented, open-source technologists

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Society Consulting (Less than a year)

Pros

* Decent work-life balance
    * Fundraising events for noble causes
    * Reasonably well-stocked kitchen

Cons

* Exceedingly poor strategy - they're focused only on the MS space
    * They accept any and every project that comes their way even if they don't have the right folks
       to work on it. If you like working on 1 - 2 month short term gigs that will really fragment your
       resume then it may not be too bad.
    * Virtually non-existent career path for solid technical folks with an open-source background.

Advice to Management

Focus on strategy and providing a career path for talented employees. With the current status quo, it's just another big revolving door for talented technologists. Also, don't try and build products since the company has no marketing and sales strategy. Folks with an open-source background will quickly realize that this is not the place for them.

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time

Pros

Appear to have good visibility into company. Fun atmosphere. Many avenues for support. Cross functional learning. Focus on company growth.

Cons

Excess processes for full-time consultants for other companies. Zero visibility into what your billable rate is compared to what the company is billing for your work.

Advice to Management

Could use performance reviews from consultant for engagement managers, leads and practice managers. As company goes through growing pains, more explanation of big business decisions would be helpful.

Principal consultant

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Society Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible on schedule
    Frequent management meetings
    Good work mates
    Diverse work environment
    Free coffee and soda
    Free parking
    Showers if you pike to work

Cons

Poor benefits, over promising , total dependency on Microsoft
    Poor work environment as it is mainly an open space
    Hard to have conference calls
    Poor and stinky bathrooms
    Poor trading benefit, they require you to work for at least a year after any training

lack of leadership and hostile work environment

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time

Pros

food, location, bathrooms, lunch room, water

Cons

A real lack of overall team work. We are all broken up into seperate teams but none of the teams talk to each other. The group I'm in has a lot of arrogant rude people... I'm currently looking for a different job.

Advice to Management

be more careful on who you hire for business desk

Pretty on the outside, not on the inside.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time

Pros

Hip office, free lunches (**sometimes**), company events, people are generally nice.

Cons

First off, let me start off by saying that Society really says one thing, but means another. The benefits here are terrible and a joke. The 401K match is 25% of your yearly salary, then 4% of that 25%....aka 1% match, a joke! So, why even have a 401K? If you don't stay for three years, they take it all back anyway! Next, the wages here are below market rate. If you are looking for a place to grow your career, Society is not it! Next, they hire **clowns** to the job, instead of people that are actually qualified for their role. They say you can move around the company, which is not true. Unless you are in the "Good Ol Boys Club" this is not going to happen. Raises here are bad. People are already overworked in their roles. No OT, terrible benefits, below market rate salary. There is also a big disconnect between Society 1.0 and Society 2.0. Management seems to not know, or care what their employees even do. How can you manage people if you don't know what they actually do? If you're on the project great, if not you are just another sheep!

Advice to Management

Ad hear to what you say, or why even say it? Also, I would suggest you start paying people market rate, or good people will continue to leave! Instead of talking about how much money you are going to make, why not talk about how you can improve company culture. If that does not improve, expansion will not exist.

Great place , flexible schedule, responsible leadership

I have been working at Society Consulting

Pros

I have been with Society since 2014, it is a great place to work for, the leadership is smart, focus and they are sincere to build a great community.
    good salaries, great snacks, coffee, soda,..etc

Cons

you have to work really hard and sometimes late evenings and few times weekends
    Expensive health care for families

#WeAreTeamSociety!

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The executive and leadership team is thoughtful, authentic, positive, open and visionary. The company culture is that company culture I've always dreamed of experiencing but never did until I came to work here - it's high energy, creative, supportive, rewarding and TONS of fun!

Cons

I can't think of anything worth mentioning for this section. No company is perfect but Society Consulting comes so close to perfect that I'm going to call it that and keep on going.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

RSS Feed </> Embed