Society of Actuaries

Add Photos

Tonya B. Manning

Great benefits; Upper management issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsFlex hours, flex spending; 35 hour work week; generous vacation/sick time/holidays; nice campus; close to shopping, many nice coworkers.

ConsSome upper management not standing by their teams and are disengaged and unaware of quantity and the type of work their staff is doing; top leadership not doing enough to correct upper management situations; HR either kowtows to upper management or feels its hands are tied when it comes to conflict resolution between directors and staff/managers. In addition, I see a lack of commitment to long-term employees who have done excellent work. Because of these issues, which I have seen increase in the many years I was at the company, I cannot recommend this company at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more about the culture survey results you receive from staff, which have shown that while directors think things are going great, staff and managers feel there are improvements needed.

Not so bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsGreat work hours, great benefits, great people.

ConsThe senior leadership does tend to micro manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you hire and let the use their education and experience to do their job.

Poor management by direct manager led to unfavorable working conditions and experience.

Foundation Coordinator (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsNice working conditions in a popular area. Easy access to building and parking with lunch area and gym in the building.

ConsPoor communication by all departments. In the nine months I worked at the SOA I was amazed at the lack of interaction between departments and virtually no communication went on during the day with coworkers. Very odd.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more leadership training for managers of departments. Various leaders were in positions that were ill suited for them. Too much micromanaging going on and not enough leading by example.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsGreat place to work. 35 hours per week allows for flexibility in work hours. Easy commute in the northwest suburbs. Genuinely concerned and effective management.

ConsSmaller organization sometimes has overcommitment of staff during times of the year. Not easy to learn about areas of the business outside of job responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the core competencies and hire out to contractors the tasks that that are not the core of the business.

Worked for Society of Actuaries? Contribute to the Community!