Society of Actuaries

Interesting company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Society of Actuaries

Pros

Great place to work. 35 hours per week allows for flexibility in work hours. Easy commute in the northwest suburbs. Genuinely concerned and effective management.

Cons

Smaller organization sometimes has overcommitment of staff during times of the year. Not easy to learn about areas of the business outside of job responsibilities.

Focus on the core competencies and hire out to contractors the tasks that that are not the core of the business.

Great benefits; Upper management issues

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Society of Actuaries full-time

Pros

Flex hours, flex spending; 35 hour work week; generous vacation/sick time/holidays; nice campus; close to shopping, many nice coworkers.

Cons

Some upper management not standing by their teams and are disengaged and unaware of quantity and the type of work their staff is doing; top leadership not doing enough to correct upper management situations; HR either kowtows to upper management or feels its hands are tied when it comes to conflict resolution between directors and staff/managers. In addition, I see a lack of commitment to long-term employees who have done excellent work. Because of these issues, which I have seen increase in the many years I was at the company, I cannot recommend this company at this time.

Do more about the culture survey results you receive from staff, which have shown that while directors think things are going great, staff and managers feel there are improvements needed.

Not so bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Society of Actuaries full-time

Pros

Great work hours, great benefits, great people.

Cons

The senior leadership does tend to micro manage.

Trust the people you hire and let the use their education and experience to do their job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management by direct manager led to unfavorable working conditions and experience.

Former Employee - Foundation Coordinator  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Foundation Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Society of Actuaries

Pros

Nice working conditions in a popular area. Easy access to building and parking with lunch area and gym in the building.

Cons

Poor communication by all departments. In the nine months I worked at the SOA I was amazed at the lack of interaction between departments and virtually no communication went on during the day with coworkers. Very odd.

Provide more leadership training for managers of departments. Various leaders were in positions that were ill suited for them. Too much micromanaging going on and not enough leading by example.

Worked for Society of Actuaries? Contribute to the Community!