Sodexo

Updated December 21, 2014
3.2

Sodexo CEO Michel Landel
Michel Landel

Pros
  • Good benefits work balance is sometimes hard to achieve (in 12 reviews)

• Free meal with every full shift, opportunities for growth (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is completely disengaged from whatever is going on at the site level (in 12 reviews)

• At least there was not a lot of room for advancement in my area (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

satisfying, diversity

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

quality of life, company value, up to date training

Cons

professional contracts, communications of future contracts status

open communication

Overall a great company to work for.

I worked at Sodexo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefit package, training, pay, opportunities. Promotional options, available locations all over the world.

Cons

long hours, expectations are at times nearly impossible to meet. Sometimes assistance is too far away to help. Felt at times I was not gaining personal growth.

Was already in a managerial role

Sodexo employeee

Current Employee - Food Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Food Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sodexo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

employee friendly good leadership good time off policies

Cons

stressful work less training less staff

looking for a home

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have establish great relationships

Cons

24 hour facilities- require long hours

Establish a culture to help employee keep work & life a balance

barista/banquet server

Current Employee - Barista/Banquet Server in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Barista/Banquet Server in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

paid weekly, tips, employee meal. Management was fun to work with.

Cons

have to work all major holidays, high turnover, and not enough opportunities for advancement.

sodexo

I worked at Sodexo

Pros

Awesome company to work for. they want their employees to grow with the company.

Cons

I don't really see any thing bad about this company

Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company's commitment to personal and professional growth is obvious along with their commitment to Quality of Life solutions for our clients and employees.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment. Upper management change has been challenging at times, but change is usually good.

Sodexo Response

Dec 8, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your feedback, and thank you for your many years of service. I'm thrilled to hear you've enjoyed your time with us and hope you have another ... More

Quality Company

I worked at Sodexo

Pros

Large, yet relatively unknown. Quality focus and plenty of room for growth in most major cities in USA and 80+ countries.

Cons

Decentralized company that can loose track of locations in smaller cities due to existing silo's between divisions. Continuous growth not bringing local staffing together.

Continue to develop integration between divisions.

Unit Controller in Corporate Services... It's really a kitchen gig, but they won't tell you that.

Former Employee - Unit Controller in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Unit Controller in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at Sodexo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Three weeks of vacation to start, free lunches, free work shoes.... Wait, free work shoes? For an accountant? What does that mean? See the cons.

Great opportunity to build knowledge handling a multi-restaurant accounting system.

Cons

If you are an accounting/finance person, you don't want this position. You will be expected to do 60+ hours per week of accounting work, and you will be given no time to do it. Most likely during the interview process you will be told that "on rare occasion" you will be expected to help with restaurant operations. That is not true. You will find yourself being roped into kitchen/cashier/catering work ad infinitum and you will be expected to produce the 60-70 hours per week of accounting work on your own time. There is absolutely no training for this position, and you will have to learn the vast array of Sodexo programs on your own. If you like a challenge, then learning the systems will probably be rewarding for you. However, you will never, ever be left undistracted to concentrate on this. Expect to carry a 2-way radio and constantly be interrupted for vendor deliveries, cash register malfunctions, employee complaints, customer complaints, incorrect catering deliveries, etc. Chances are that during the recruiting process you were questioned about your commitment to customer service. Just wait. Expect to be all about service during your work day and have absolutely no time to do any accounting work. You'll be doing that at night and on weekends. When the kitchen staff get fed up and quit, guess who will be filling in when the company doesn't replace them. And yes, you will be provided one pair of non-slip shoes because whether you want to or not, you will end up becoming a kitchen/catering employee. Don't get me wrong, you will obtain some excellent accounting experience that you will be able to cash in on at another company. But you will not see the light of day while you are acquiring that experience. If you are able to put in the hours to self-train on the many different systems, all while dealing with constant employee and customer interruptions, days out of the office on various kitchen operational training, endless and redundant meetings, and working with a management team that borders on the abusive with their hourly employees, then this is the place for you. I found the Unit Controller position to be a churn and burn, and I certainly wouldn't recommend this company to an accounting colleague. However, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a culinary or Chef career.

This would never happen, but having the unit controllers report to a financial director outside of the units instead of the GM might actually work.

Decent...but only because of the pay.

Current Employee - Club Attendant/Server in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Club Attendant/Server in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sodexo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Probably the easiest job in existence for what they pay.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to care much about the big picture. They don't communicate to the employees very well, and when they do, they only present a list/paper.

It can be so easy to make these employee have faith in you. All you have to do is talk to them. Get out of your bathroom of an office and walk the floor more.

Sodexo Photos