Sodexo

www.sodexo.com
Employer Engaged

Ok so far as I've only been working for them since may.

Current Employee - Barista in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, good Co workers, cool management

Cons

Don't like that they hire outside temp workers and pay them more money than me

Overall positive part time job experience.

Former Employee - Cook in New London, NH
    Former Employee - Cook in New London, NH

I worked at Sodexo part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have mixed feelings about Sodexo. I worked in two very different environments that were under Sodexo. My first job with them was at a college dining hall part time. I had a great time there, loved the people and work environment. I flourished and did rather well, though at times I wanted to learn more but didn't get the chance to expand my skills. The supervisors were understanding and easy to get along with. The chefs and cooks had a certain amount of autonomy with how to feed the students. We had to use set menus, but we could also think on our feet and improvise depending on the needs of the students.

Cons

Pay and benefits for a part time person like me weren't great.

My second job with Sodexo was at a hospital in a different part of the country. We were expected to strictly stick to the menus, even if people didn't like them, and it was always understaffed. The supervisors seemed stressed and passed that down to the cooks and food service workers.

So I've had a very mixed experience with the company, It seems to vary because of the industry and environment.

Nov 11, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As you mention, positions and responsibilities may vary between job environments. Campus and health care are very different in nature, but specific ... More

Ok job for a student

Former Employee - Landscaper in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Landscaper in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sodexo part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule was great and I got to learn a lot about how to approach a tough position. It was also great to work outside on most of the days.

Cons

The pay was pretty bad with it being slightly above minimum wage even after 4 years and a promotion.

Understand what the employees are going through a little better.

Great learning platform to prep for the next role outside Sodexo, but not a long term career

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company did great during my first year showering me with training opportunities to grow in my role. But then, when the time came to have the talk, I realized there's really nowhere to go!

I am in a management position.

As of now, Sodexo is a great platform to learn how to work under pressure, adhere to almost impossible timelines and deliverables, realign priorities by the hour while never showing a drop of sweat or trepidation to the customers, and to hit the floor running on your role with no or very little on boarding training (something very few can do, mind you!). Once you have mastered all of the above, then you will be ready to find something else outside the company and get compensated appropriately in a higher position.

Cons

Upper management is completely disengaged from whatever is going on at the site level. Decisions were made based on $ without conducting an assessment to anticipate the effect that was going to have to the operation. Now the operation is suffering and the teams are overstreesed. Those of us in the middle are just leaving the company (like me, who just accepted a position somewhere else with a 40K salary increase; which is what market pays for a role like mine with my level of expertise and education).

Pay is obscenely low when compared to similar roles in the industry. Some specific key positions should be made competitive salary wise, in order to ensure talent retention. If you want top performers with all this great background and experience, specially if you are trying to introduce the pharma market, then it is simple, you need to pay as such. Anything less is just an insult.
    But I thank you thank you thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn so many new skills that I will definitely apply in my new role.

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was sent to several training right away. one in New Jersey and one in Austin Texas. They were both pretty fun. I learned a lot about the company and really like what I was getting into. I have been a chef for many years and this is the first time I am able to have dinner at home with my family. Holidays and weekend off are unheard of as a working chef. But I am abel to have all of these things now.

Cons

Promotion policies only allow a 5% per grade raise, I went through a transfer and went up a pay grade but it did not meet the cost of living adjustment form one city to another. my raise was less than half of the cost of living difference.

When internal transfers happen take more consideration on cost of living differences and not just the grade difference. My house was $600 a month moved to a new city for this opportunity and my rent in the new area for the same house is $1200.

Nov 4, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I'm so happy to hear you've been able to find the work-life balance that you sought as a Chef! Thank you for taking some of your time to write this review, and thank you for your years of service ... More

Good place with active input

I worked at Sodexo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can discuss innovations and be heard. Benefits.

Cons

Units can be spread to thin.

None

Overall good company with experienced and tenured coworkers.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of managers to work with throughout the city not only at at your specific account. Great place to nest for a while.

Cons

Top spots are already taken and there isn't much movement, in order to grow must seriously think about relocated. Must be very active with career development though they say they are hear to help you grow they really don't want you to go.

Most upper management do not promote career growth because it creates an unsteady environment beneath them. Be willing to work a little and support your managers growth with real time less verbiage.

Oct 29, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It's great to hear that you're enjoying your fellow managers and location. As far as growth opportunities go, openings will vary between ... More

My experience at Sodexo was great. Nice people and great culture.

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Sodexo as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This was an awesome experience as a college student. Lots of exposure to all angles of marketing. Corporate structure has lots of marketing materials they provide each of their locations, but you still have the freedom of creativity tailored to the unit you work at. Was involved in everything from the market research, to strategic planning and creation of events, to the implementation of events. Was able to eat in cafeteria for free. Great school/life/softball/work balance. Management is understanding, as long as you can get your task done for the day or in the time frame required. Also was responsible for running the social media platforms. Was able to run that even when not in the office. Had opportunities to be a part of the catering unit for certain events. Well ran by management, great product and services makes the job easier.

Cons

I would not say there were any major con's. The pay for an intern was a little below average at $9.50 per hour. It is reasonable considering you will gain great experience, there is no cost of traveling since it is on campus, and you get to eat for free when you are at work which is a huge savings.

Keep up everything that you are doing.

Oct 22, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your Sodexo internship. I'm happy to hear you've had some great exposure to different areas to the business and hopefully gained some valuable skills and ... More

my experience with sodexo has been pleasant and can't complain

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Foster, RI
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Foster, RI

I have been working at Sodexo part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the food service industry is what i like best

Cons

the raises could be higher,,,especially if your work is above and beyond

Working for Sodexo

Current Employee - General Food Service Worker in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Food Service Worker in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sodexo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay, Breaks, Food, Co workers, and Hours

Cons

Hours, unorganized, No breaks, Management, and Pay Mistakes

Upper level management and lower level management should be on the same page.

Sodexo Photos