Sodexo USA
www.sodexo.jobs Gaithersburg, MD 5000+ Employees

Sodexo USA Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jan 28, 2014

Sodexo USA Group Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer, North America, On-site Services George Chavel

George Chavel

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Student promotional coordinator position was alright but not too exciting.

Student Promotional Coordinator (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA part-time for more than a year

ProsFreedom to express ideas
My ideas were valued and taken seriously

Consterrible pay- $8/hr, but this was essentially equivalent to a work-study position at my university

not so good

Part Time (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA part-time for less than a year

Prostime slot available, for student to get a job, good

Consthey make you work overtime with minmum pay, exploit student's in the USA

It was very exciting, I learned a lot and the staff was very helpful.

Catering Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time for more than a year

ProsPros- Great HR Team. Took care of you and helped integrate you into their culture effortlessly. Had a great support team in management.

ConsMy immediate manager was a new hire as well and resisted many of the Sodexo culture which made it hard working directly for him. I was sure that he was confused as to what my role was supposed to be and he kept changing it. His supervisor was amazing and made up for my direct supervisor's incompetence.

Much like watching the world fall apart into anarchy.

Catering Assistant (Current Employee)
Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA

ProsSteady work, amazing location, decent benefits, clothing coverages, discounts on various programs, ability to progress quickly, assistance with educational costs

ConsLack of supervision, lack of adherence to state and federal laws, inability to fulfill corporate obligations, failure to provide accurate records of pay and time worked

Advice to Senior ManagementThroughout my tenure at this organization, I have learned that by simply raising the pay scale, the less efficient and effective labor units would slowly be faded out whereby a productive and beneficial work force could be implemented. This would mean that management would have actual time to complete tasks assigned to them, while knowing that their work force was not inebriated or simply, sleeping.

Received good guidance and direction

Marketing Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Sodexo USA

ProsWorking for Sodexo helped me refine my marketing skills while still studying at school. I was involved and various campaigns across campus.

ConsI had to do a lot of grunt work and was limited creatively. There was not a lot of freedom in designing the advertisements.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees more freedom to be creative and to think for themselves. This will get the best productivity out of their employees.

Stay away from Sodexo unless you have no other alternatives

Line Cook (Former Employee)
Warren, NJ

I worked at Sodexo USA

ProsSome of the good points of working at Sodexo were: decent benefits, paid holidays, weekends and holidays off, steady hours

ConsIn 3 years of working there I never once saw someone get promoted from hourly to management. Work environment was frantic and disorganized at best. Management used scare tactics (threatening job security to keep employees in line). Low pay, and many of my former co-workers complained of not getting raises ever. Management forced people to take days off to make labor goals. It seemed to me that management didn't really care a bit about their workers, and generally viewed them as expendable and replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better for starters. Give talented people some recognition. There was very low morale at my account, and maybe if the company did more to provide a positive work environment their employees would be much more productive?

Mixed reviews for Sodexo USA

Line Cook (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sodexo USA

ProsSodexo USA is a large company with steady employment and benefits that only a large company can offer. They are strong in diversity in hiring and promotion both in management and hourly staff, at least at the units themselves. The upper management that I have encountered are mostly Caucasian, but I haven't been at their corporate headquarters to see for myself. The shop I work in is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. It is difficult for me to determine how company policies may affect those units that are non-union. Sodexo maintains a high-quality facility and good standards in their food service operations.

ConsSalary levels are low, especially for New York City. A large company looks only at averages, and too often does not consider the real cost of living in an expensive city such as New York. When management changes, people are brought in from other locations. I have only seen one promotion from hourly staff to management in three and one half years. With the current economic crisis, cuts and layoffs were necessary. Laid off employees were not counseled and advised of other positions in the company. I believe that this is due to anti-union discrimination. Sodexo mostly operates in a top-down management model; most of the menus and marketing strategies coming from upper management, with little development at the unit level. This stifles creativity, and makes poor use of talented individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe role of corporate dining is rapidly changing from an employee benefit to a competitive retail environment. We are not feeding a captive audience. We are no longer directly subsidized by the company we serve, and we need to learn to compete. We need to assess the competition in our market, and how to best use our facilities and the talents and abilities of all employees to generate business in our current recession. We need to lead, follow or get out of the way.

Sodexo, we'll treat you well just don't ask questions.

General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sodexo USA

ProsWith Sodexo I am afforded a great quality of life, I am well compensated for what I do and feel good about it.

ConsThe career growth is not what I expected. No matter what position becomes available there is someone selected for the position before the position is even posted. Everyone will deny this but not only have I seen it in my own account but I have heard about it in others.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose the right person for the right position- it is a relection on you when you choose the wrong person for all the wrong reason.

The good and the bad of Sodexo

Cook (Current Employee)
Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA

ProsGood benefits from the start of employment . Monday through Friday , daytime hours for a job that is typically a nights and weekends situation . Accomodating if you need time as long as you give them some notice . Genrerally good people.

ConsVery little acknoledgement of the typical workers from managment . Tend to not find out what is going on until it has already happened . Pay is not great for the amount of work done . Senior managment would be better served paying more attention to the people who make the kitchens work, not the middle managers .

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the people who make the kitchen run, not the middle managers.

Little employee recognition, good benefits

Cook (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sodexo USA

ProsMonday through Friday, 9 to 5 schedule for cooking is rare , allows you to spend time with your friends and family while cooking for a living. My previous jobs at retaurants did not allow for that. The benefits are great and they don't cost a lot.

ConsThe pay is poor , that is the price you pay for tyring to be a cook and living a normal family life , I feel like they know they have you right where they want you, so they see no reason to give anything but the bare minimum. little recognition or respect from managment, not much to look forward to in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees, you can't find lots of people to do what you are looking for for the alaries you pay.

Worked for Sodexo USA? Contribute to the Community!

Sodexo USA Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sodexo USA reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sodexo USA CEO George Chavel . All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Sodexo USA employees.