Sodexo USA

www.sodexo.jobs
  www.sodexo.jobs

Sodexo USA Reviews in New York City, NY

3.3

Sodexo USA Group Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer, North America, On-site Services George Chavel
George Chavel

Pros
  • Truly endorses work/life balance and offers solid paid time off and separate sick leave (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits with employees who really care about their work (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to learn the job before trying to change how we do it (in 19 reviews)

• There can be long hours and difficult tasks to complete (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

its been ok management could be better

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

if you work in the right place there are ways to move up in the company

Cons

the management they hire do not meet there job requirements

Poor Leadership, Way to many hours

Current Employee - Unit Controller in East Rutherford, NJ
    Current Employee - Unit Controller in East Rutherford, NJ

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits where decent. The Chef was excellent

Cons

Work 80+ hours a week. General Manager had no clue what she was doing. Concessions manager clueless as well.

Hold someone responsible. Sodexo lost the contract over the incompetency of management.

not so good

Current Employee - Part Time in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time in New York, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

time slot available, for student to get a job, good

Cons

they make you work overtime with minmum pay, exploit student's in the USA

Student promotional coordinator position was alright but not too exciting.

Former Employee - Student Promotional Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Student Promotional Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom to express ideas
    My ideas were valued and taken seriously

Cons

terrible pay- $8/hr, but this was essentially equivalent to a work-study position at my university

It was very exciting, I learned a lot and the staff was very helpful.

Former Employee - Catering Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Catering Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros- Great HR Team. Took care of you and helped integrate you into their culture effortlessly. Had a great support team in management.

Cons

My immediate manager was a new hire as well and resisted many of the Sodexo culture which made it hard working directly for him. I was sure that he was confused as to what my role was supposed to be and he kept changing it. His supervisor was amazing and made up for my direct supervisor's incompetence.

Much like watching the world fall apart into anarchy.

Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA

Pros

Steady work, amazing location, decent benefits, clothing coverages, discounts on various programs, ability to progress quickly, assistance with educational costs

Cons

Lack of supervision, lack of adherence to state and federal laws, inability to fulfill corporate obligations, failure to provide accurate records of pay and time worked

Throughout my tenure at this organization, I have learned that by simply raising the pay scale, the less efficient and effective labor units would slowly be faded out whereby a productive and beneficial work force could be implemented. This would mean that management would have actual time to complete tasks assigned to them, while knowing that their work force was not inebriated or simply, sleeping.

Received good guidance and direction

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

Working for Sodexo helped me refine my marketing skills while still studying at school. I was involved and various campaigns across campus.

Cons

I had to do a lot of grunt work and was limited creatively. There was not a lot of freedom in designing the advertisements.

Allow employees more freedom to be creative and to think for themselves. This will get the best productivity out of their employees.

Stay away from Sodexo unless you have no other alternatives

Former Employee - Line Cook in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Warren, NJ

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

Some of the good points of working at Sodexo were: decent benefits, paid holidays, weekends and holidays off, steady hours

Cons

In 3 years of working there I never once saw someone get promoted from hourly to management. Work environment was frantic and disorganized at best. Management used scare tactics (threatening job security to keep employees in line). Low pay, and many of my former co-workers complained of not getting raises ever. Management forced people to take days off to make labor goals. It seemed to me that management didn't really care a bit about their workers, and generally viewed them as expendable and replaceable.

Pay your employees better for starters. Give talented people some recognition. There was very low morale at my account, and maybe if the company did more to provide a positive work environment their employees would be much more productive?

Mixed reviews for Sodexo USA

Current Employee - Line Cook in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Line Cook in New York, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA

Pros

Sodexo USA is a large company with steady employment and benefits that only a large company can offer. They are strong in diversity in hiring and promotion both in management and hourly staff, at least at the units themselves. The upper management that I have encountered are mostly Caucasian, but I haven't been at their corporate headquarters to see for myself. The shop I work in is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. It is difficult for me to determine how company policies may affect those units that are non-union. Sodexo maintains a high-quality facility and good standards in their food service operations.

Cons

Salary levels are low, especially for New York City. A large company looks only at averages, and too often does not consider the real cost of living in an expensive city such as New York. When management changes, people are brought in from other locations. I have only seen one promotion from hourly staff to management in three and one half years. With the current economic crisis, cuts and layoffs were necessary. Laid off employees were not counseled and advised of other positions in the company. I believe that this is due to anti-union discrimination. Sodexo mostly operates in a top-down management model; most of the menus and marketing strategies coming from upper management, with little development at the unit level. This stifles creativity, and makes poor use of talented individuals.

The role of corporate dining is rapidly changing from an employee benefit to a competitive retail environment. We are not feeding a captive audience. We are no longer directly subsidized by the company we serve, and we need to learn to compete. We need to assess the competition in our market, and how to best use our facilities and the talents and abilities of all employees to generate business in our current recession. We need to lead, follow or get out of the way.

Sodexo, we'll treat you well just don't ask questions.

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA

Pros

With Sodexo I am afforded a great quality of life, I am well compensated for what I do and feel good about it.

Cons

The career growth is not what I expected. No matter what position becomes available there is someone selected for the position before the position is even posted. Everyone will deny this but not only have I seen it in my own account but I have heard about it in others.

Choose the right person for the right position- it is a relection on you when you choose the wrong person for all the wrong reason.