Sodexo USA Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Sodexo USA Group Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer, North America, On-site Services George Chavel
George Chavel

Pros
  • Work life balance is great at Sodexo (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits with employees who really care about their work (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor support for upper management (in 19 reviews)

• There can be long hours and difficult tasks to complete (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great People at Sodexo

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In addition to working with great people, I have benefited from many of the company provided training opportunities. The additional skills and experience have allowed me to be considered for promotions for positions I wasn't qualified for before. I look forward to growing more with Sodexo.

Cons

Being such a huge company, it's easy to feel like a blip on the radar. You have to make an effort to stay connected with what's happening companywide by reading email updates and using the company intranet.

Advice to Management

Keep offering training and developement to all level of employees.

Feb 10, 2015 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review and am thrilled to hear you've benefited from the training opportunities available. To your point about Sodexo being so big, you are correct that ... More

2. line cook

Current Employee - Line Cook in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I consider my self a people's person helping positive great atmosphere and I'm a hard worker all I want is a chance to be very productive to this company and if you need to speak to me you can reach at (817)696-7203 thank you so much.

Cons

this is a job I love because I love to cook its in my heart.

Advice to Management

This is to erica at tcu in the kitchen I am so looking forward to meeting you very soon.

3. Corporate environment

Current Employee - Culinary Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Culinary Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sodexo USA (Less than a year)

Pros

Corporate environment and the organization has a number of tools to assist with ensuring that you can excel at your position.

Cons

Hospitality is riddled with personnel issues due to the nature of the industry.

5. Director of Culinary/Executive Chef

Former Employee - Executive Chef/Restaurant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Executive Chef/Restaurant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, good benefits and awesome team support.

Cons

22 million dollar account with 16 hour shifts, sometimes 3 to 4 weeks with no days off. But did arrange comp days for extra days worked, so made it up in Summer and Christmas:)

Advice to Management

Apply for this company, for it has the best certified team with excellent management growth in company.

Supervisor (Cafe)

Current Employee - Supervisor I in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor I in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Even for introductory level employees, the pay and benefits are crazy good assuming you work full time, and position pay rates are competitively reevaluated every few years. I've been with the company 2 years, and working full time plus some overtime I get over 2 weeks of paid vacation a year, more sick time than I'll ever use, 401k matching, health insurance, etc. Diversity is a huge priority for the company and Human Resources actually does try to be a resource, and is very approachable.

Cons

High employee turnover rates means you're constantly having to train new people and biting your nails about how much staff you can keep on hand. Management varies widely from being incredibly anal and unpleasant to very approachable and understanding. Trainings are completely useless and have no application to your day to day activities whatsoever because the company is so large. If you work at a college campus, your unit may be suspended during the summer, forcing you to take vacation time or apply for unemployment. The health insurance plan (Cigna) is crap compared to some other options I've had elsewhere. Getting promoted from within can be tricky and wages are only re-evaluated once a year on your hiring anniversary, with no other assessments given of your work. Wage increases are usually quite minimal (10-40 cents).

Advice to Management

If we hired more full time workers and less student workers maybe we wouldn't have such high turnover.

7. Positive Experience

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

It seems they are resistant to change

Advice to Management

Consider more input from your employees

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager III in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - General Manager III in Madison, WI

Pros

Great pay benefits, loved working with my peers, meet a lot of great people, that work hard and do a fantastic job. Great place to climb the ladder and make this a career.

Cons

Contract ended after 10 years, was transferred out of state for 6 months (even though there were plenty of in-state jobs available), being married this was a very trying time on my family. They wouldn't support me in finding a job closer to home, so very unfortunately for Sodexo; I found employment with another company only 30 minutes from my home. I take pride in my abilities to perform my functions as a manager, but being at home with my family is more important than not.

Advice to Management

I have seen many valuable employees leave this company and in the long run, it has to hurt them as I see contract after contract being lost. If they can not retain great people, the loss is on them and that is sad.

Aug 25, 2015 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It's great that you enjoyed your time at Sodexo, as well as your coworkers and the opportunities we offer. As you mention, unfortunately some of our ... More

9. Custodial Operational Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Sodexo USA (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is nice when star to work, but after the situation is hard depend what is the manager activities.

Cons

Most the salary employees stared with minimum wages and after a year increase very little.

Advice to Management

Depend the manager some they' are nice but another not.

Operations Manager

Former Employee - Job Seeker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Job Seeker in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions possibilities for those who want to succeed

Cons

Stressful environment from day to day operations

Advice to Management

Listen to managers

Aug 25, 2015 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. In regards to your comments about promotions, a big part of our culture is internal mobility and advancement, so it's very true that a ... More

Operations Accountant

Current Employee - Operations Accountant in Williamsville, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Accountant in Williamsville, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good vacation & sick time policy - right from start. There are opportunities for advancement within the company - given the chance. The company is always seeking to upgrade its systems for efficiency.

Cons

Some managers/directors are driven by fear and insecurity, thus, if you appear too smart for their liking, you risk being kept in a "box." Be wise enough to manage your career, so you are not restraint.

Advice to Management

"Walk the talk" - it's not enough to have good policy in terms of meritorious promotion and such, but much more to execute it fairly. Authenticity and trust is key to keeping employees loyal.

RSS Feed </> Embed