Sodexo USA

Sodexo USA Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
3.3

Sodexo USA Group Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer, North America, On-site Services George Chavel
George Chavel

Pros
  • Truly endorses work/life balance and offers solid paid time off and separate sick leave (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits with employees who really care about their work (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to learn the job before trying to change how we do it (in 19 reviews)

• There can be long hours and difficult tasks to complete (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great People at Sodexo

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In addition to working with great people, I have benefited from many of the company provided training opportunities. The additional skills and experience have allowed me to be considered for promotions for positions I wasn't qualified for before. I look forward to growing more with Sodexo.

Cons

Being such a huge company, it's easy to feel like a blip on the radar. You have to make an effort to stay connected with what's happening companywide by reading email updates and using the company intranet.

Keep offering training and developement to all level of employees.

Feb 10, 2015Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review and am thrilled to hear you've benefited from the training opportunities available. To your point about Sodexo being so big, you are correct that ... More

This company had left the worst taste in my mouth. I would never recommend working for them.

Current Employee - Cook IV in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Cook IV in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok, the money will pay your bills. They have a 401k. They may give you hours... but it depends.

Cons

The management is clearly not placed properly. They make it very clear you are nothing more than a pawn to do their work for them. My team could barley keep the schedule up to date. Asking for help is a burden to them and they have no problem making you feel as if you're beneath them and incompetent to even have a conversation with them. They demand you take a break but will do nothing to help you obtain one, and still take it out of your check even when you clearly didn't have one. If you want to be belittled and unappreciated this is the right place for you.

There is no advice to give. These are the people they hire and it is apparent that the high turn over is apart of the company's values. I now see why. I've sent a letter to corporate. I highly doubt they will do anything but it's a start. There are better company's to work for and this is not one of them.

Significant disconnect from marketed culture of respect to front line behaviors by management

Former Employee - Entry Level Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Entry Level Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

Great online resources, tools and networking for employees

Cons

Much of the positive culture of work-life balance and "a promise of respect and fair treatment" does NOT translate down to the front line accounts. Lots of talk and training, little done to hold leadership and mid-level management to practice what they preach. The lack of this connectivity results in poor management of staff and even worse service to customers.

Sodexo

Former Employee - Maint in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Maint in Albany, GA

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

It is a pay ck

Cons

They don't care about there people

Find another job

Really bad company

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

Pay was good but now it is being lowered as the company sacrifices worker quality of life for more profits

Cons

Company treats workers as machines and pushes them until it burns them out or injures them. Workers on old pay rates are being pushed out to be replaced by lower paid workers or agency staff in a rush to make more profit. General moral of workers is bad bordering dangerous as most live on site and are isolated so have no opportunity to make Thor life better as they are stuck in the FIFO trap

Managers are conditioned to the Sodexo way and are part of the problem, The global company has recently paid out of court settlements for racism and is continuously in court for unfair dismissal claims, stay away from this company for a career, use it like it uses you

management so unfair

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Geneva, NY
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Geneva, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none except for my weekly paycheck and yearly raise thanks to our union

Cons

very unfair treatment with the workers and not due to job performance but depends on if you "fit in" with middle management. Middle management knows how to pull the wool over the upper managements eyes no matter how many times a grievance is filed. If they don't like you you will be targeted and set up for failure even though you work as a "team" in housekeeping.

Sep 17, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation you're describing, and while it appears you no longer work for Sodexo, I would recommend in scenarios like this that you contact your local HR Director or ... More

Hourly pay is terrible & they cut labor hrs

Current Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At most places where you work you have a boss hovering over you. Where I work I don't have a boss there. Which is nice.

Cons

They expect you to work with a skeleton crew & give you more work. & it all has to be done at a certain time. So you are always rushing from the time you get there, till the time you leave. You feel like you can't even stop long enough to use the restroom.

Quit being so greedy, because the people that work for this Company is not shown any kind of appreciation. For example we did get a raise once a year, if you want to call it that 30cents is a joke. I bet you got a raise was it 30cents? Now this year you decided no raises for us here in Tucson, Az. A company that makes Billions can't even give pay raises.I challenge you up there in sitting in your fancy offices. To do our job & live on the paychecks we get for a 2 week check I bring home 700.00 WOW....Companies used to care about the employees in the day. You might want to think about doing the same.

I worked for Sodexo for four years, and I would not suggest it to anyone.

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

The one thing that was good about working for Sodexo was that it was on a college campus. I was working towards my degree at the time, so it was easy to build a schedule.

Cons

Poor product, lack of support from upper management, after a year of working in a higher position I was only given a 0.16 raise, company will suddenly require hours to be cut, never given positive reinforcement, lack of appreciation, little to no concern for employees well being

My advice to upper management would be to consider treating employees with respect and consideration. I would also suggest that Sodexo should change their food supply source to food that isn't poor quality or spoiled before reaching the distributors.

My experience with Sodexo was a very negative one

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

If you'd like to opportunity to transfer and travel this is a good company to work for

Cons

Long hours no work life balance, pay is not good in the area where I was located. Upper Management very deceitful and arrogant. Backwoods thinking management staff that were in clicks. Company states that the employees are important to them but this philosophy is not carried out by location managers.

Do not run with clicks and pay attention to talent that may development

Jul 28, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and am very sorry to hear about the situation you have described. Employee growth and development is a huge focus at Sodexo, and while you no longer ... More

Not what they claim

Current Employee - Administrative Assist
    Current Employee - Administrative Assist

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is ok; company contribution to 401k is big plus. I have a lot of different types of responsibilities which is giving me new experience to add to my resume.

Cons

No support from management at any level. Training is very, very weak, need to figure things out on my own. Have not had a single performance appraisal, well have been asked to appraise myself but have never sat with superiors to discuss performance. Communication is non-existent. Despite big claims of employee recognition and growth there are few actual opportunities

Management (district and above) needs to know key front line employees. Focus on developing talent from within. Open clear line of communication between unit personnel and corporate support offices, with clear, easily located contact information. This is a very disjointed company and trying to find resources for assistance is extremely difficult.

Jul 15, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and want to help address some of the concerns you've shared. In regards to training, performance reviews and growth opportunities, I highly ... More