Sodexo USA Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. May have been the better of two evils

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time

Pros

Set work schedule, decent benefit package for full time employees. Decent time off/ paid holiday system. Depending on department, flexible scheduling. Many over time/catering opportunities.

Cons

Upper management oblivious to the plight of the hourlies. Always at the mercy of supervisors that just didn't get it. Management didn't care what they did or how they supervised as long as we opened and closed every day and nobody died! Too much playing favorites and no one to talk to about it. Management was a "Do as I say, not as I do." The worst supervisors I have ever come across. Sodexo is usually a contractor and thus can lose their contract. Employees have no control over that.

Advice to Management

It's a new century, your 1970 style of management is no longer valid, get with the times. You gave us the hand book, follow it! You read the mission statement, live by it! Our unit was the 4th major contract loss in the last 5 years.

2. Student Crew

Current Employee - Student Worker in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Binghamton, NY

I have been working at Sodexo USA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place to learn customer service, positive work environment

Cons

Less salary, and more of labour work

Advice to Management

I like the way Sodexo is operating at present

3. Review

Former Employee - Dining Room Attendant in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Dining Room Attendant in Mankato, MN

I worked at Sodexo USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

relatively easy place to work in if you know your tasks. And many opportunities for work.

Cons

Would be nice to have equipment for employees

5. Not a great company

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Ripon, WI
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Ripon, WI

I worked at Sodexo USA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free meals while working. It was an alright job to have during school. Since, I worked in the cafeteria the hours were really good since I didn't have to work really late or really early.

Cons

Management was really disorganized. Head chef was mean and over-dramatic. Once, you see the food being made you lose interest in eating it. The kitchen was not very clean.

Advice to Management

There should be more guidelines on food and service standards. I think lower management could also use a refresher course on workplace harassment.

6. Meh..can't complain

Former Employee - Barista in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Barista in Appleton, WI

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

The flexibility and free food is a major bonus here. That and the fact that it just isn't all that difficult.

Cons

Seriously, why can't we take tips? It's not like we're making an arm and then a leg, nor do we have benefits like Starbucks employees...tips should be a-okay

Advice to Management

Don't expect stellar employees when upper management continuously piles it on downhill.

7. My Location Had Some Issues

Former Employee - Student Worker in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Sodexo USA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My manager worked around my class schedule very easily and almost all of the staff was friendly. My work consisted mostly of waitressing, manning a register, general kitchen cleaning, and slight food prep (despite having previous food experience, they chose not to train me further). It was never that challenging and catering events were busy but fun to do. I would still recommend this job despite some of the cons just for the fact that it was easy enough work so long as you were timely and in my case it was on the same campus I was studying at, so very convenient.

Cons

They really over-hire students, which I realize is also a plus because they can't work students in the same shifts as a regular worker. However, this meant hunting for hours. I remember going to my scheduling manager and asking again and again if she just needed someone to mop a floor or do some dishes and still had only a few days a week to work. While it varies from location to location I'm sure, my location was EXTREMELY disorganized, there was no set standard for anything, and none of the several managers communicated to each other or the staff well. Despite having experience in food, my managers would have never known had I not directly told them as applications and resumes were a joke. My application was never reviewed and I was never actually interviewed. I found odd but I was fine with it. I was not fine however with the lack of training. I would be scheduled into a different place and would not know how to do it or even receive the uniform for it. And while this isn't directly my location's fault, they still hired this department so I cannot go without complaining about it. The finance department is mostly run by two people who are far too overworked. And for whatever reason, despite following procedure for it, I could not get my paychecks direct deposit. While this wasn't such a big deal to many, my bank was not in this area (as I am just studying in this area) making it pretty inconvenient for me to deposit for a fee or wait until I was home.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you put as a higher up. We had a VERY inexperienced marketing manager that would price things far too high only to slowly lower the price over time and still not sell items. She often made menus that made no sense and when we started small deliveries, she muddled up the menu restrictions on that along with not giving employees an incentive for making deliveries.

8. Bartender

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time

Pros

busy work, meet CEOS, doctors, football player, people from all over the world

Cons

Management ruins the job. They have NO experience, racist against white people, lack of communication.

Advice to Management

If someone has never worked in a bar DONT hire someone to manage a bar, especially if they CANT speak english

9. Half hearted try

Current Employee - Lead Worker in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Worker in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security, worldwide company, transfer opportunities, schedule flexibility

Cons

Advancement opportunities based on who you know, not what you know or how well you do your job. Since the company is so large, there is no true company culture. There is a revolving door for newer employees (5 yrs or less) because most people can't handle the constantly changing policies and procedures.

Advice to Management

Evaluate employee performance more than once a year

10. Decent Company to work for.

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Work from home option. Decent start salary.

Cons

Depending on what level you come in at, and what department you're in, it may take some time for you to move into other positions.

Advice to Management

Try focusing on providing additional training for staff at all levels. Not just management.

Sodexo USA Response

Jun 1, 2015 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While it appears you are no longer with Sodexo, I do want to note for others that internal promotion and advancement is a huge part of our culture. We ... More

Great Place. Great People

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Stable. Work/life balance is a priority. Co-workers are great

Cons

Health Insurance leaves much to be desired.

RSS Feed </> Embed