Sodexo USA

Sodexo USA Reviews

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.3

Sodexo USA Group Chief Operating Officer, Chief Executive Officer, North America, On-site Services George Chavel
George Chavel

Pros
  • Truly endorses work/life balance and offers solid paid time off and separate sick leave (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits with employees who really care about their work (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to learn the job before trying to change how we do it (in 19 reviews)

• There can be long hours and difficult tasks to complete (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Work experience

Current Employee - General Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good support from senior management

Cons

too much scripts to follows, too many programs you have to follows. feels like there is not much freedom

management so unfair

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Geneva, NY
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Geneva, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none except for my weekly paycheck and yearly raise thanks to our union

Cons

very unfair treatment with the workers and not due to job performance but depends on if you "fit in" with middle management. Middle management knows how to pull the wool over the upper managements eyes no matter how many times a grievance is filed. If they don't like you you will be targeted and set up for failure even though you work as a "team" in housekeeping.

Sep 17, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation you're describing, and while it appears you no longer work for Sodexo, I would recommend in scenarios like this that you contact your local HR Director or ... More

Hourly pay is terrible & they cut labor hrs

Current Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Kitchen Supervisor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At most places where you work you have a boss hovering over you. Where I work I don't have a boss there. Which is nice.

Cons

They expect you to work with a skeleton crew & give you more work. & it all has to be done at a certain time. So you are always rushing from the time you get there, till the time you leave. You feel like you can't even stop long enough to use the restroom.

Quit being so greedy, because the people that work for this Company is not shown any kind of appreciation. For example we did get a raise once a year, if you want to call it that 30cents is a joke. I bet you got a raise was it 30cents? Now this year you decided no raises for us here in Tucson, Az. A company that makes Billions can't even give pay raises.I challenge you up there in sitting in your fancy offices. To do our job & live on the paychecks we get for a 2 week check I bring home 700.00 WOW....Companies used to care about the employees in the day. You might want to think about doing the same.

Team Lead

I worked at Sodexo USA

Pros

Good people to work for

Cons

lack of growth in some areas.

be transparent with upward growth with the hourly workers.

Sep 2, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I'm very sorry to hear you struggled with growth during your time at Sodexo. Internal promotion and development are part of our culture, and many of our managers began as frontline/hourly employees ... More

Good Co-workers, Poor Company

Current Employee - Food Service Manager in Clarksburg, WV
    Current Employee - Food Service Manager in Clarksburg, WV

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were always awesome people to work with. The customers were great as well. I enjoyed my time with this company before everything went down hill. I had a lot of fun and learned everyday. I didn't mind being on call or having to mandate people. I really truly was happy with this company for over a decade.

Cons

I worked with this company for 20+ years. I was loyal to them, however, they weren't loyal to me. I saw my first job with them get phased out for no reason even though I increased food sales every year along with customer satisfaction ratings that increased. My second job with them, I was promoted to GM and then demoted down to Food Supervisor which was just a fancy title for a cashier. I went from 50,000/yr to 12.50/hr. I don't see how that is fair to a veteran employee. I'm really just disappointed in them.

Aug 26, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm sorry to hear about the situation you have described, as it sounds like you have been a loyal employee for many years. While I cannot speak to this ... More

Not really the expectation i had for a hospital.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sodexo USA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Pros, getting the experience and in my profession

Cons

Very political and every man for him self, there is no room for growth and pay does not make up for what you have to put up with.

Change everyone in Mngt.

Aug 26, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Hi there- Thank you for posting your review. While it's great to hear you feel you're gaining experience in your profession, I want to make sure you are familiar with our advancement opportunities ... More

Not good for healthcare

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time

Pros

Work experience for future job hunting.

Cons

Really don't provide clients with cost savings so contracts come and go along with employment. Very heavily marketed top heavy company with lots of dishonest sales people out to score a bonus. Try to act like a family business but don't follow thru. People in my area are like robots. Very routine and unrewarding work. Jobs in healthcare lack opportunity for individual expression and satisfaction.

Honesty and integrity are more valuable then money. Cut the high cost of high paid upper and middle management and show clients a true savings to retain contracts. Better transparency is crucial. Treat long term committed employees better by offering severance or bridges to new jobs.

Aug 18, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I'm sorry to hear about the experiences you have described. While every unit is different, our management positions in healthcare and our other job environments provide the opportunity to make a ... More

management sucks , no room for advancement

Current Employee - Line Server in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Line Server in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

met some great people that i will continue to build a friendship with....

Cons

Hours suck during slow time of year might get 20 hours per week , pay sucks for all that's entitled to be done....

keep your personal life at home and listen to your employees, lower prices

College Job

Former Employee - Production in Steubenville, OH
    Former Employee - Production in Steubenville, OH

I worked at Sodexo USA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

it was nice to find a job in the Field of Specialty being loaded with chef experience. jumped right in without extensive training

Cons

Schedule mainly the same as required classes. The level of production they they bang out requires some employees to be graduated

It would be a win-win for all if internships would be available so students can get the experience while focusing on their main vocation being their education...The student get the hours require and the facility gets free labor.

Aug 18, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I'm happy to hear you gained some experience in your field during college but do want to note that we have many paid internship opportunities ... More

So-so

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Education division is great for working parents as summers have reduced workload (or seasonal lay-off). Benefits offered are actually pretty good relative to the area lived/worked in.

Cons

Company policy is subject to management interpretation at each account location, so fair treatment of employees is not always consistent. Annual wage increases are a joke, just enough to patronize an already disenfranchised employee.

Closing the gap between management and employees by treating people like people, and not like numbers on a dashboard.