Soft Surroundings Reviews

Robin Sheldon

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Soft Surroundings (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing! The people who work here are some of the nicest people in the industry! The benefits are good and the pay is above industry standard. I couldn't be happier!

Cons

I have not found any cons to working here.

Management

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Soft Surroundings (Less than a year)

Pros

Great to work for. Customers are amazing

Cons

Nothing bad to say about working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Soft Surroundings (More than 5 years)

Pros

I currently work in the retail group and I love my job. We are one big family! We work hard but we also appreciate each others talents and respect one another. Just like family - there can be tough times, but overall it is one of the best places I have worked. I get to travel, meet new people and experience situations that I might never get a chance to otherwise. I would recommend Soft Surroundings Retail to anyone in the industry who is looking for something different. We are truly a collaborative team and I actually have a "voice", something other retailer were not willing to give me. I get to play a part in the company's future growth - that is something that most retailers are not doing these days. There are some really talented people here, and I hope to learn as much as I can from them! It will only make me a better person in my career.

Cons

The pace is tough, we are opening stores quickly and the expectations are high, but that is what I thrive on. I know that with all of the hard work comes appreciation and hopefully a promotion in my future. I am willing to wait, as I know it won't happen overnight, but my supervisors have a plan for me and I am excited for the opportunity in the future!

Advice to Management

Keep listening. The fact that you guys always want to know what we have to say means a lot. I know it is not what you want to hear sometimes, but it makes us a better team and ultimately more successful.

5. Micro Managed to Death. NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Soft Surroundings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful Environment to work in. Great Discount. Coworkers were awesome.

Cons

This company is one of the worst companies I've worked for in Retail. They are definitely NOT an employee first company and have NO CONCEPT OF WORK LIFE BALANCE. Their benefits are terrible. They pay a little above min wage, which is nice, but for as much load as you take on, it isn't worth it. The environment is very stressful because they use such an old system to do their catalog orders. Management only cares about sales and are HUGE MICROMANAGERS. Honestly you end up doing the same amount of work that the assistant manager does, and get no compensation for it. And there is no where to go in the company unless you move, and even then they ALWAYS bring in outside hires. They are also very concerned with image. Heard my manager once say she wouldn't hire a girl who had worked at McDonalds because " We don't hire those kind of people.".. Wow. They also aren't family friendly. So if you have a family, don't expect that they will give you any less nights or make schedule changes to accommodate field trips/parent teacher conferences..etc.

Advice to Management

Trust your team and stop micro managing. INVEST into your employees so they can invest into their customers.

buyer

Pros

Great opportunity to work in the fashion industry in St Louis, small company so you can weigh in creatively and have your voice heard, 401k match, a good amount of vacation time, great people for the most part, the sample sales and employee discount are good, generous travel per diem

Cons

They say that scheduling is flexible but it is really not, long hours with little compensation, no praise for a job well done, creative decisions are ultimately determined by management's mood that day, cliques in every department, more likely to hire people from outside the company into upper management positions than promote within, morale is low!!

Advice to Management

Most people work incredibly hard, way more than 40 hours a week (staying late, coming in on the weekends, etc just to make a deadline). Either bring in more help to alleviate the work load or pay your employees better. A better salary will help keep employees motivated. Promote from within! There are so many talented people here that go unrecognized and eventually leave.

Full time leadership

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Soft Surroundings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a wonderful company filled with opportunity!!!! I love my life here!!!!! The leadership group is amazing and the culture is so positive.

Cons

Usual growing pains with large growth. Need more clarity around some process. All in all even the cons are positive.

Advice to Management

Keep up with open communication and supporting the field

Merchant

Current Employee - Merchant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Merchant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Growing company, most people are friendly, rollover on PTO

Cons

Terrible benefits (401 & insurance), terrible salaries, insane workload, growing too fast without helping support infrastructure or adding additional people to the workforce to support growth.

Horrible gossipy management team with sense of entitlement

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Soft Surroundings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working environment is very pretty surrounded by beautiful things.

Cons

The upper management is focused on the catalog sales and can't seem to quite grasp that mail order and actual retail are two different business models. Because the company's success is based on mail order, the actual employees and building relationships with them is a very low priority. After many years f retail management- this is one of the worse jobs I've ever had.

Advice to Management

No point in offering advice- they're too set in their ways and resting on the catalog's success.

some good, some bad.

Pros

There are a lot of nice people that work here. You will learn a lot quickly If you are willing to put in the effort and time. Good sample sales and discount.

Cons

Unfortunately there are a some poor managers who are only out for themselves. Only squeaky wheels get promoted. Departments are managed/run separately so time off, compensation, rewards vary greatly depending on budgets/managers in each department.

Advice to Management

Reward employees fairly.

Arrogant company that cares more about creating a high-society image than creativity and talent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Soft Surroundings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great group of coworkers -Sample sales and discounts -Great learning experience if you are new to the industry -Office environment is nice with stocked break rooms -Travel perks: nice accommodations and Per Diem. -Time off policies and flexibility with leaving the office

Cons

-Upper management couldn't recognize talent if it was right under their nose -No appreciation for employees (value and respect matters more than a BBQ in the parking lot!) -Not encouraged to grow creatively or to move into other departments/positions -Pay is below average (and you will work way more than 40 hours a week) -Would rather hire someone cheaper than someone with talent and experience -Will continue to add job responsibility without increasing pay -Will spend more time on company image than on the product itself -Unfortunately, like many companies, you will only succeed here if you are part of their high-society clique. Regardless of your talent, creativity or passion for the brand.

Advice to Management

I highly doubt they would bother to read reviews about their own company, much less listen to anyone below them, but here are my two cents: value your employees! The entry level people you bring in have a lot to offer and may even stay with you until the end if you treat them right. Not encouraging growth, overlooking talent, overworking your employees and having outlandish demands will only cause your employees to find work elsewhere.

RSS Feed </> Embed