Soft Surroundings

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robin Sheldon

Good environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGrowing company, good work-life balance and company culture

Conscan be difficult to move up within

A step above most retail careers

ProsI enjoy the environment and the product we offer. I am glad to see we are growing at a steady buy cautious pace. The store management and personnel are great, and our current DM is wonderful.

ConsWhile I have not had much personal interaction with home office management, I can't say I am looking forward to visits from them. Have not heard much on the positive end regarding their time in stores. I feel pay rates could be higher as well. We all work hard to provide the most pleasant experience for the customer and keeping the store looking to the expectation of our brand standard, and that is not always an easy task.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the growth rate of the company, consider different visual guidelines for different areas of the U.S. Brand standards can still be maintained but allow regions or states to have more input as to what works best for their customer base, season, etc in determining window displays and product placement. Pay rates can be more competitive, and/or consider higher rates of pay for F/T people who do not need the benefits provided.

I drank the juice!

ProsI can't say enough good things about Soft, the people I've met, what I have learned and have been able to teach others. Great place to start your career or fabulous to finish your career working part time retail sales with our fabulous discount.

ConsWhen employees and former employees can get on sites like this and try to taint our name. It does take a certain person to fit in here, they must be hardworking, determined and willing to take ownership, sky is the limit!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Thank you-

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I LOVE my Job!

ProsI was never aware that Soft Surroundings had retail stores until I joined the organization. I was a little hesitant at first only because they had only a few stores at the time. Now we are on a very strategic growth plan which makes a ton of sense and I appreciate the fact that we are not going our and opening a ton of stores at one time.

I was pleasantly overwhelmed with the leadership team and their retail experience. Here, from the top down, they have all worked in stores and completely understand day to day challenges. They actually hold off on tasking during busy peak times and catalog drops! This is a true sign that the retail division is being run by people who "get it." I also feel like I can speak openly about challenges and things that are not working without retribution. I am asked frequently for my opinion.

I joined to further my career and I am completely confident that with the opening of more stores and retail growth, I will be able to move up and make a name for myself. I am excited as I have already been asked to be a part of some special projects and I hope I get to be part of the store openings this year.

ConsI am heartbroken that some individuals have taken the opportunity on Glass Door to take shots at the company I love. Not everyone is cut out for retail, nor are they cut out for being held accountable. At the end of the day, the stores are high volume and there is a lot going on. Not everyone can handle such a fast paced job. The management is fair and consistent. If you do your job well, and you are driven to succeed, this is a perfect place for you! If you want a job to punch a time clock - go somewhere else. Everyone is charge of their own destiny.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for everything that you guys do! I love the fact that you are open and honest when you make a mistake or need to change direction. By telling us the "why's" it makes it so much easier to explain to my staff. Don't let the cheap shots and nasty comments get in the way of what you guys are doing!

Simply Something Special

(Current Employee)

ProsIf you are passionate about what you do and up for a challenge this is place to be. The product and customer loyalty is like no other. There are so many facets to the brand that people comment to me regularly, "I didn't know that Soft Surroundings had beauty or home furnishings".

Every member of the team whether part time or full time, entry level or executive has the opportunity to contribute to the company's success. It's nice to feel valued and have the ability to give input and feedback.

The benefits are competitive with other companies, associate discount generous, annual performance evaluations, a profit share for all employees, and a comfortable work environment.

It seems most of the people that see it differently either don't adapt well to change since the company is growing and you have to be willing to change along with it. I've always felt like the jobs done best aren't the ones that come easily. If you aren't tough enough for a few bumps in the road because you believe in the potential of where Soft Surroundings is headed, there is a simple solution, just don't work here.

ConsThe only con I can think of is one that is self-inflicted and ultimately a personal decision. You have to have patience, everything will happen in its own due time. New employment advancement opportunities, improved processes, and streamlined operations will continue to occur but not always at the rate that an individual may want it to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the course. The vision has gotten us this far and will continue to make us successful. As we grow it's the simple things that keep a company losing its identity like preserving employee benefit packages, prioritizing quality and customer service, and investing in the small details that keep a brand unique from every other competitor.

It's important to maintain the connection that exists between executives and other corporate management with the front line sales center and retail employees since they are closest to the customer.

Simply a retail store

ProsAt the moment, good product line. Loyal on-line customers enjoy coming into a store to actually try on the merchandise. 50% employee discount.

ConsUnreasonable expectations on floor sets. Store Manager plays favorites - blatantly. Very cut throat team members. High amount of turnover (due to store manager). Management either DOES NOT care or chooses to do nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO YOUR WORK!!!! Hold store managers accountable. DM's - "Surprise" visits are not surprise when the store managers tells her employees (or the just her favorites). Really people....the profit sharing is a joke (unless you're management). READ your Check Star surveys - follow up on comments. Take a lesson from Coldwater Creek. Poor management and greed will sink a store faster than the economy.

Expanding faster than they can support.

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat products.. Great sales driver with the catalog, they have a large following of wonderful, loyal customers. The furniture and bedding is exquisite, and the stores are very beautiful. If you love skin care they do carry the best, and the employee discount is great.

Consmicro managing, not leading from above. Going through a lot of change, meaning policy could change daily. unable to keep core product in stock which is frustrating to sales associates that want to please the customer.

Advice to Senior Managementslow the expansion until you have better systems in place.

Underpaid, over worked

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsLots of other under paid employees to share in your woes

ConsPoor management, unskilled and managers with no real experience. No training. No pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to actually manage people. Don't have favorites based on personality or ability to kiss up - promote based on merit and ability.

If Not on Top will take a while to get there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Pseudo- Courage
    Can Sell themselves to themselves
    Great Pay if you are in corporate.

ConsManagers don't Care for lower employees in Call Center
    Expect to have more responsibility than the job entails.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your own Job. Don't Be on your browser shopping and lolligaging and yell at your subornates when they are doing the same!

This company has Great people and lots of talent. The Company has been doing well year over year and continues to grow.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat discounts and sample sales. True vision of the brand.

ConsExpect to work! Expectations are high but you will be rewarded for efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the Brand

Worked for Soft Surroundings? Contribute to the Community!