SoftLayer

www.softlayer.com

SoftLayer Reviews

Updated May 8, 2014
SoftLayer – US – “Couch in between cubicles at SoftLayer”

SoftLayer CEO Lance Crosby

Lance Crosby

Pros
  • More free snacks than is probably healthy(in 10 reviews)

• great benefits and compensation package(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Open door policy with upper management is not really open door(in 8 reviews)

• HR tells employees right during new hire orientation that no raises will be given for tenure, and that increases are based on performance only(in 3 reviews)

The inmates are running this asylum.

Server Build Technician (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsMore free snacks than is probably healthy. Many intelligent and knowledgeable people in the lower levels of Operations that you can and will learn from. Good entry level into data center/IT work...

Cons...but DO NOT expect anything further than that. Poor compensation based on Texas wages, even if you are at any of the remote sites located in the far more expensive areas. Any raises are entirely "performance" based which without fail no one ever seems to meet. (Or in our case the only substantial raise occurred when literally half of the site quit at once)

Ultimately it is the middle and upper management that is the real death knell. Rampant cronyism has lead to departments with far too many redundant managers who contradict and fail to communicate with each other. This creates confusion and bedlam on everything from simple projects to the large scale build outs. The IBM acquisition has only increased the scope and scale of this problem as they fight tooth and nail to prove their value to keep their positions in fear of the dreaded IBM blue wash. This, naturally, leaves the people under them holding the bag on resulting messes, subsequently clean them up, and to do so with a smile and a 'thank you sir'.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Softlayer management, none... wouldn't listen to it anyways. To IBM, Blue wash. Clean house. For the sake of your customers and Softlayer employees. You could not possibly put in place a worse management structure than the existing one.

Everyday casual with overrun behind the scenes corporate culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCheap minimum health insurance. Very casual work environment. Flexibility.

ConsManagers that operate by what ever I'm told from above goes - limited freedom of thought.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe people before being a cash register.

cst

Cst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosnone that I can remember

ConsA lot, too many for me to list

Advice to Senior Managementclose

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It used to be fun.

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGrowing company. Lots of opportunities.

ConsYour future could very well depend on your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. Educate employees that being arrogant doesn't help build a good company culture.

Don't expect any reward for hard work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree energy drinks, and other snacks detrimental to human health. If you don't like Red Bull, there is really nothing else to say.

ConsThere is room for advancement exclusively for Texas employees, and only then if you're a family member of management, or attended high school with management. The compensation is fitting if this is your first job and you still live at home with Mom and Dad. Management is too busy congratulating themselves on being "bad ass" while ignoring the problems that need attention in both personnel and infrastructure. Rampant illiteracy shouldn't be accepted in upper management, but it is somehow encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Keep it up; I'm sure IBM will clean house before 2016.

Awesome company to start your IT career.

Server Build Technicnian (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat benefits, nice knowledgeable co-workers, great learning experience you can take anywhere in the IT world, challenging work and free snacks.

ConsMoving up can be tough..

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see more encouragement and recognition come from upper management to better motivate and increase moral of the front line employees who make it all happen.

Great place to take your programming skills to the next level.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat place to lear the proper way to do OOP PHP.

ConsCode reviews, must code by their set of standards.

Great company to start in IT

Server Build Technician (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, nice coworkers, good learning experience, challenging work

Consit started to had bad management once they get bigger, you can not move up unless you are willing to relocate to the headquarter (Texas)

Advice to Senior ManagementLow level employees need more motivation (other than free snacks and energy drinks). They need to feel that you care about them in order for them to work more efficiently

Management doesn't care

Systems Administrator, Managed Hosting (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsStepping stone to better jobs
    Potential to learn a lot
    Decent benefits
    Free drinks
    Christmas party
    Not much else

ConsNO Raises
    Average or below average pay
    Management (lower, middle, and upper) don't care about the employees; only shift leads do, and they have no influence
    They also don't care about their customers; although managed hosting tries to make it look like they at least do, none of them actually do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a lesson from Google and Rackspace and start treating your employees and customers like you actually care about them.

Jack of all Datacenter trades

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat entry level job, can move fast if you are in the right location.

ConsLow pay for most areas, very demanding work( con for some people)

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!