SoftLayer Reviews

Reset

No Vision

Current Employee - Server Build Technician
    Current Employee - Server Build Technician

I have been working at SoftLayer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet some really amazing people who are interested in the growing technology field, and will generally work well with you. Free snacks too.

Cons

No competitive pay or significant pay raises, there is no sense of accomplishment, the upper management has no vision or goals for the employees to rally under, constant complaining on every level in the company, and employees are leaving the company for stronger paying jobs in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

The bottom line keeps providing solutions to help keep employees to stay in the company, it's about time you listen and try implementing solutions instead of providing excuses.

From small company to IBM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time

Pros

There are still many smart, hard-working people working at SoftLayer. I enjoyed my time there for the first 5 years.

Cons

It was not for me. I resigned after IBM got involved, and it became difficult to accomplish even simple tasks.

Advice to Management

The company eventually just got too big, management too complacent. Communication between departments became non-existent, and there were too many managers competing for clout.

Worst job ever worked

Current Employee - Customer Service Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at SoftLayer (More than a year)

Pros

Manager and team lead are about the only people in the company who even care. Some really smart people here who don't get challenged enough and are burned out and just give up.

Cons

Pay is well below average No incentives to do better No raises no matter how hard you work (unless you count the joke of a yearly raise that took two years to get after over 9000 excuses by IBM) No evaluations for raises (unless you count the worthless yearly eval) No room to advance as other departments just sit on things forever playing the blame game. IBM proper treats us like trash and is EXTREMELY disrespectful to us. No one does anything about it though because no one cares. Benefits are a joke You'll never be taken seriously People who don't deserve anything will always get something, while you get swept under the covers for no apparent reason. Anyone higher than your immediate manager doesn't care about you or your problems at all, and they are too afraid to talk to anyone higher up because no one in this company has a backbone. Everyone just steps on everyone. Timelines are always promised and never met. Lies upon lies upon lies constantly by higher up the food chain, with an excuse for literally EVERYTHING. Been here two years and still haven't seen a CoL raise...never worked in a place that didn't give one. Priorities are beyond backwards. Apparently it's more important to put new carpeting in the office than pay us proper wages. Or at least make sure the men's in-office bathroom works for longer than a few days at a time. None of the departments work together, they all argue with each other and no one every knows what's going on. Do not waste your time working here....seriously. Just find something else to do. Seriously....you could stand on a corner begging for change and make more money than you'll be paid here.

Advice to Management

Selling out to IBM was hands down the worst decision ever. This company has gone down the toilet since.

Lots of experience, free snacks!!

Current Employee - Server Build Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SoftLayer full-time

Pros

Working at Softlayer has been pretty awesome to be my first IT job. There is a lot to learn and you always learn something new everyday. Free snacks and drinks are a plus! Plenty of OT if your up for it!

Cons

I do not like the hours because I currently work Tuesday through Saturday from 3pm to 12am, I wish I had a Monday through Friday job. There's not much room for advancement if you start as a Server Build Technician.

Advice to Management

Praise your workers, we don't really get much of it and would enjoy the compliments. We've always just been addressed the cons.

Great place to learn

Pros

If you just know Linux this is a great place to learn about networking, NAS, Cloud Computing, gateways and backup solutions. Yes the company was bought out by IBM and we now get all the IBM perks. Great vacation packages good health benefits. Free snacks and energy drinks. And the people there are some of the sharpest people I have met. Everybody pitches in and if you have any questions about anything they do not look down on you for not knowing it. They are a great group of people.

Cons

Most of the customers do not understand we are not a web hosting company. We are a .server provider. We support the hardware and the basic OS. There is many time people will come in and ask us to help with their wordpress site or their IIS sites and we have to tell them no, that is your System Administrators job. Pay could be better, I do know it is sub-par to the national average.

Advice to Management

Look at upping the pay to keep the better workers so we do not turn in to a resume entry of someone just looking to put IBM on resume.

pay sucks so all your really getting is experience

Current Employee - Data Center Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Center Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SoftLayer (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers are helpful and its a job that looks good on your resume.

Cons

no training and school sucks

Advice to Management

if you were to raise the pay to industry standards employees wouldn't quit so often and treat other datacenters as well as dallas

Depends on what team you land in..it can be great or really bad !

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

There is lot of new stuff to learn if you are int he right group. Sharp people to work with.

Cons

benefits not so great , Office politics is very rampant and difficult to deal with. If you can butter the people who are at the right place ..you are fine but if not then you might be thrown in to things you do not want/like.

Advice to Management

value what your employees want to do ..rather then force them to do things you need to get done. Hire the right people who want to do those jobs.

9. A year at softlayer

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SoftLayer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

freedom , support and great learning experience . CBNO :"Challenging But Not Overwhelming"

Cons

Might require staff (undergoing process)

The best in the business. Not for the employee though

Former Employee - Server Build Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Server Build Technician in Dallas, TX

Pros

Already working with DDR4. Learning fast Go live

Cons

Bad management. Hard to move up quickly without being kissass

Advice to Management

Listen to the SBTs

SBT

Current Employee - Server Build Technician in Dallas, TX

Pros

Descent pay and all the goodies you want.

Cons

Job description showes entrylevel, but they expect you to know way more than entrylevel. Managers/leads won't assist with anything. No training what so ever!!!!

Advice to Management

Train the new employees so there are less errors.

RSS Feed </> Embed