Softcat

Updated December 2, 2014
4.6

Peter D Kelly

What a place... Incredible

Current Employee - EUC Consultant in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - EUC Consultant in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started this job just weeks ago, I'm in the EUC department and I think I can count the amount of times I've paid for lunch on one hand, so far. The people are amazing and what really make this company. There's always something going on, sweets, chocolate bars, beers, parties - pretty much a weekly occurrence. I came from a big corporate company and things were so different, at Softcat there is a sense of openness, colleagues share their experiences; managers don't boss you about and overall a very relaxing environment to work in. I find it really excells my learning through the amount of support you get from like minded people and budget for things like training and courses.

The incentives are insane: random games in the office which can attract up to tens of thousands of pounds, cash prize. Themed days in the office where it is compulsory to partake in fancy dress. Along with 5 star trips all paid for, parties big and small, I'm really looking forward to the Christmas ball!

It has so far been a life changing experience for me and I look forward to being there a long time.

Cons

Nothing, oh maybe the amount of hot females in the office, it can't be good for you ;)

Keep it up, just don't lose the personal touch and FUN that has always been an integral part of the business as Softcat grows.

Former Technical Consultant.

Former Employee - Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant

I worked at Softcat

Pros

As I was not office based could not think of any, I am sure if you are in your early 20's fresh out of uni then this is the place for you.

Cons

Worst place I worked for as a Technical Consultant. If I was in sales then this would probably be a 5 star review, but from my point of view I felt like an over used machine.

Do not put new senior tech consultants under the same umbrella as juniors. Be honest about the average working hours. Listen to the concerns of employees.

Project Coordinator

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Marlow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Marlow, England (UK)

I worked at Softcat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good benefits, great parties, good socialising atmosphere

Cons

bad management, no room for progression - too sales oriented.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Sales Support
    Current Employee - Sales Support

I have been working at Softcat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

amazing place, people and job satisfaction!

Cons

no cons come to mind

Running your own life changing business!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having joined Softcat over 6 years ago now, straight out of university I can honestly say that this business has changed my life. From humble roots when I was calling out to the corporate market place and building relationships with SMB clients to now dealing with multinational, enterprise clients and managing sales teams, the progression, incentives, commission and culture that I work within is incredible. I have been to a large number of places around the world on 5* trips (Hawaii, Vegas, Monaco Grand Prix, Cambodia/ Vietnam, West Coast of America, New York… the list goes on) and while there, Softcat try to give back to the local community (cue building a Hawaiian Town Hall and providing all the raw materials for an underprivileged community amongst other projects). What I love most is the ability to be autonomous with “my business”. I choose what clients I work with, what hours I put in and therefore what commission I earn… the power is in my hands to succeed and it is this responsibility, twinned with the support network that Softcat provides that makes this job so enjoyable.

Cons

As is the case in all sales environments - you only get out what you put in. Many people who do not succeed are simply not prepared to go above any beyond and put extra hours in to ensure they are winning business. This is not something that is synonymous with Softcat but in the IT reseller arena in general. That said, when you do work hard and, twinned with the support of Softcat, the rewards are incredible and indicative of a company that is picking up awards left, right and centre (and not just with vendors... with industry HR focused companies).

Keep it going and work hard on getting to number 1 place to work in Europe!

What I've always wanted in a job

Current Employee - Team Leader in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

While we're expected to work hard, Softcat certainly rewards you for doing so. Where else do you have uncapped commission, the opportunity to win incentive trips to amazing places such as New York, Kenya, Antarctica, Hawaii (the list goes on), along with loads of fun in the office too? It isn't unusual to be given a beer on a Friday, or to see crazy things happening to raise money for charity. I don't mind working hard when I'm having fun doing so!

Cons

All that free food and booze adds to the waistline which is hard to keep under control!

Keep doing what you're doing and don't let the fun side of the job change.

Account manager

I have been working at Softcat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think Softcat is a great place to work! it has won so many awards in the past around employee satisfaction and our sat surveys are always full of positives.

I have worked in other companies where senior staff are completely unapproachable, in Softcat you sit within 5 feet of the chairman, MD and sales director in the middle of the sales floor. Everyone here is really friendly and happy to help out, the massive amount of internal expertise makes life so much easier for account managers and is a real selling point to customers.

The earning potential here is boundless as the commision is completely uncapped, so you can earn lots of money very quickly! the incentives are brilliant going all over the world and there are lots of team nights out and making sure that employees are having fun is paramount.

Cons

most of the cons about working in a palce like Softcat arent a reflection on the company itself but in sales so are to be expected when going into such a competetive environment.

there is pressure to hit targets as in any sales job and the basic salray is quite poor but that is expected in a commission based role and works to motivate you!

the management at Softct is incredibly flexible, managers sit in with the teams and are all approachable and willing to help, even asking for advice of managers from other areas of the business are happy to lend a hand. especially for a sales company the amount of autonomy granted to account managers is incredible and is probably one of the main reasons that softct is going from strength to strength.

Home from Home

Current Employee - Business Manager in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Since the day I started over 8 years ago, I've been well looked after, well remunerated, allowed to grow and flourish as a sales professional and I've had a ton of fun along the way with several parties a year, trips abroad and the workplace culture is fun! Honestly, I'm so fortunate to have started and continued my career here.

Cons

I don't wear a suit everyday (?!!!); I have too many free lunches offered to me; the Directors are approachable and sit with the teams instead of being locked away in ivory towers; everyone is so nice that I can't detest going to work every day!! ;)

Employ more great people to help share this great place to work!! (it's not fair that people have to endure working elsewhere!!) :)

IT can be fun!

Current Employee - Services Operations Manager in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Services Operations Manager in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've never worked at, or visited, an office that has such an amazing buzz and so many friendly faces. It's obvious that the staff at Softcat really care about their jobs and have pride in their employer.

Cons

Its offices are all in the UK... which has rubbish weather. There is a factory that partially obscures my view of green fields from my window seat.

A fun vibrant company which offers great rewards for hard work and results.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Brazil, Jordan, Peru, St Petersburg, Fiji, Hawaii are just some of the incentive trips i've been on. Amazing!

Cons

You have to think smartly, work hard and put in the hours if you want to succeed at Softcat.