Softcat Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
38 reviews filtered by
4.5
Peter D Kelly

1. Former Technical Consultant.

Former Employee - Technical Consultant
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant

I worked at Softcat

Pros

As I was not office based could not think of any, I am sure if you are in your early 20's fresh out of uni then this is the place for you.

Cons

Worst place I worked for as a Technical Consultant. If I was in sales then this would probably be a 5 star review, but from my point of view I felt like an over used machine.

Advice to Management

Do not put new senior tech consultants under the same umbrella as juniors. Be honest about the average working hours. Listen to the concerns of employees.

2. A great company but it is tough

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) A wonderful place to work if you are in your early 20s and still live at home, so can survive on £1200 a month for the first few months. It really suits, a young energetic and ambitious crowd
    2) The company will help you find another role within the business if your current role is not working out.
    3) Give all types of people, a chance to cut it in sales, regardless of previous career or degree.
    4) Friendly and sociable company

Cons

1) This is not a 9-6 job. Expect to come in early and leave late in order to see results. Not a good job if you have kids or other commitments
    2) Glossy marketing and recruitment campaign ("The best place to work i the UK") masks the high turnover rate.
    3) There is the potential to earn big money, but you will not really see the results for about a year. Hence the high turnover. People starting dont realise how hard it is, anf most drop out within 2 years.
    4) You will get fat with all the food

3. Incredible company to work for

Current Employee - Technical Graduate in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Graduate in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, fun filled work environment

Cons

None that enter my mind

Advice to Management

Carry on!

5. Great company with fantastic room for growth

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commission & bonus structure is very competitive; and in line with the fantastic perks offered (Christmas Hampers, Incentive trips, Health & Dental cover, Birthday Lunch and half day, Lunch of the quarter, Pool cars, Boat party . . . the list is endless!) makes for a great balance in "work hard, play hard!".

Cons

The initial few months entering your career in sales can be very daunting as there is a massive mountain to climb. As long as you get your head down, persevere, and put in the time you will certainly be able to reap the rewards!

Advice to Management

Keep attention on the ongoing "Employee Satisfaction Surveys" and continue to pick up on the things that need changing and action them accordingly.

Just make sure as we continue growing we don't lose focus on what makes us who we are today!

6. Project Coordinator

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Marlow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Marlow, England (UK)

I worked at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, great parties, good socialising atmosphere

Cons

bad management, no room for progression - too sales oriented.

7. What a place... Incredible

Current Employee - EUC Consultant in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - EUC Consultant in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started this job just weeks ago, I'm in the EUC department and I think I can count the amount of times I've paid for lunch on one hand, so far. The people are amazing and what really make this company. There's always something going on, sweets, chocolate bars, beers, parties - pretty much a weekly occurrence. I came from a big corporate company and things were so different, at Softcat there is a sense of openness, colleagues share their experiences; managers don't boss you about and overall a very relaxing environment to work in. I find it really excells my learning through the amount of support you get from like minded people and budget for things like training and courses.

The incentives are insane: random games in the office which can attract up to tens of thousands of pounds, cash prize. Themed days in the office where it is compulsory to partake in fancy dress. Along with 5 star trips all paid for, parties big and small, I'm really looking forward to the Christmas ball!

It has so far been a life changing experience for me and I look forward to being there a long time.

Cons

Nothing, oh maybe the amount of hot females in the office, it can't be good for you ;)

Advice to Management

Keep it up, just don't lose the personal touch and FUN that has always been an integral part of the business as Softcat grows.

8. Amazing!

Current Employee - Sales Support
    Current Employee - Sales Support

I have been working at Softcat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing place, people and job satisfaction!

Cons

no cons come to mind

Running your own life changing business!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having joined Softcat over 6 years ago now, straight out of university I can honestly say that this business has changed my life. From humble roots when I was calling out to the corporate market place and building relationships with SMB clients to now dealing with multinational, enterprise clients and managing sales teams, the progression, incentives, commission and culture that I work within is incredible. I have been to a large number of places around the world on 5* trips (Hawaii, Vegas, Monaco Grand Prix, Cambodia/ Vietnam, West Coast of America, New York… the list goes on) and while there, Softcat try to give back to the local community (cue building a Hawaiian Town Hall and providing all the raw materials for an underprivileged community amongst other projects). What I love most is the ability to be autonomous with “my business”. I choose what clients I work with, what hours I put in and therefore what commission I earn… the power is in my hands to succeed and it is this responsibility, twinned with the support network that Softcat provides that makes this job so enjoyable.

Cons

As is the case in all sales environments - you only get out what you put in. Many people who do not succeed are simply not prepared to go above any beyond and put extra hours in to ensure they are winning business. This is not something that is synonymous with Softcat but in the IT reseller arena in general. That said, when you do work hard and, twinned with the support of Softcat, the rewards are incredible and indicative of a company that is picking up awards left, right and centre (and not just with vendors... with industry HR focused companies).

Advice to Management

Keep it going and work hard on getting to number 1 place to work in Europe!

What I've always wanted in a job

Current Employee - Team Leader in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While we're expected to work hard, Softcat certainly rewards you for doing so. Where else do you have uncapped commission, the opportunity to win incentive trips to amazing places such as New York, Kenya, Antarctica, Hawaii (the list goes on), along with loads of fun in the office too? It isn't unusual to be given a beer on a Friday, or to see crazy things happening to raise money for charity. I don't mind working hard when I'm having fun doing so!

Cons

All that free food and booze adds to the waistline which is hard to keep under control!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and don't let the fun side of the job change.

11. Home from Home

Current Employee - Business Manager in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Softcat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Since the day I started over 8 years ago, I've been well looked after, well remunerated, allowed to grow and flourish as a sales professional and I've had a ton of fun along the way with several parties a year, trips abroad and the workplace culture is fun! Honestly, I'm so fortunate to have started and continued my career here.

Cons

I don't wear a suit everyday (?!!!); I have too many free lunches offered to me; the Directors are approachable and sit with the teams instead of being locked away in ivory towers; everyone is so nice that I can't detest going to work every day!! ;)

Advice to Management

Employ more great people to help share this great place to work!! (it's not fair that people have to endure working elsewhere!!) :)