Softchoice

Updated December 16, 2014
3.7

Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald
David MacDonald

Pros
  • It is really cool to be able to bring your dog to work (in 18 reviews)

• The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others (in 17 reviews)

• You have to wonder about the vision of the organization when a revolving door at senior leadership positions (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

111 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A company in transition ...

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- friendly people and great culture
    - Training and personal development
    - flexible work schedules if results are shown
    - great vendor partner relationships
    - dogs, dogs, dogs

Cons

- short term focus of sales, they need more focus on long term services sales
    - sales tends to have a bratty culture that the rest of the org. is asked to bow down to
    - although a culture of engineering is wanted in the S&S BU the investments that are needed to support this are not always made
    - too much focus on PS when Keystone is the real recurring revenue generator

Let's create a real culture of engineering!!! Invest in R&D and lets get some IP developed that can make us a real differentiator in the marketplace

Best workplace experienced

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Great perks at work and good work life balance

Cons

Should hire more full-time to retain talent and knowledge.

They are awesome !

Great corporate culture and motivated employees

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Warm and welcoming office environment, dogs at the office, supportive management team, monthly company wide meetings, monthly beer cart, volunteer opportunities

Cons

Could look at how other organizations offer flexible work hours (summer hours), starting with 3 weeks vacation. Not a lot of cons to say!

Continue being supportive and keeping the staff group in the loop with company progress.

Good Experience for IT industry

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

-Great introduction to IT industry.
    -Working with lots of different vendors, selling through the entire sales cycle.
    -Great Culture
    -Looks good on a resume for IT sales jobs in the future

Cons

-Big learning curve
    -Could pay better

-Fix back end, so sales teams can just sell.
    -Higher pay for sales reps, or you'll continue to see high turnover as Toronto is competitive market.

Diverse opportunities good work life balance

Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like all of the different programs I am involved with, lots of opportunity to learn and contribute to exciting work. They also have great flexibility - ability to work from home - anytime, anywhere - but it may depend on your manager and your role. Great benefits and RRSP matching!

Cons

large organization sometimes it takes longer than necessary to complete tasks. Lot's of approvers, less agile. Also needs more focus - focused on too many objectives/areas of business.

Find a focus to keep attention and stick to it/support it.

Great company for anyone starting out

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture here is fantastic. Some of the friendliest and smartest people you'll ever come across.
    Started working for Softchoice right out of school and over the 3.5 years I was there, I never stopped learning and growing. Made friends along the way too, which was a great bonus.

The Toronto Office is great. Amazing building and dogs all round!

Cons

There's a lot of approvals you have to go through if you ever need to get anything done. Other than that, I can't say there's many negatives about working here, especially if you're just starting out.

Give more responsibility. Don't be afraid to let employees make decisions, or try new ideas.

Follow the latest shiny object

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Supportive Culture and Values
    - Training budget

Cons

Too short term sales focused - talk about becoming a services organization but have failed to realize that the sales cycle for services can be 6 months or more for large deals - causes sales to to focus on small deals because the pressure is always on this month.

Too many people that do not fit their future state but are still here.

Great people. Weak leadership.

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

This was, once upon a time, a great place to work. Not so much anymore. The people are great for the most part. The leadership is rapidly showing signs of decay.

Cons

Too much noise all around by people desperate to be noticed by management that manages by perception. Decision making stifled by a top-heavy bureaucracy.

Think through the long term consequences of your decisions instead of blindly bulldozing through the short sighted agenda of the purse string holders.

Sky's the limit but you have to make your path

Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People, people, people! The company has core values that the employees really live by on a daily basis. There is a real opportunity to grow and move within the organization into differnt areas as long as you want it and are willing to work for it. The people who work hard/play hard are the ones that are successful in this company, which is how it shold be in my opinion.

Cons

The company is short on resources and therefore people are pulled in many directions and work/life balance can sometimes be a challenge.

Get more input from your employees - your real shareholders. There are some great ideas out there in your teams that you might not be aware of.

Mid-level employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the reasons are obvious. Bring your dogs to work, great social environment etc. Other Pros are a little more sutble. It's refreshing working for a company that works hard to put alll their employees on the same page. It's easy to communicate to other when we are all striving for the same goal. I've worked at other IT companies where they create a culture of divisiveness. Softchoice goes out of their way to promote togetherness. It seems to be working.

Change can be both a Pro and a Con. It's very exciting to be working for such a dynamic company. If you're bored at Softchoice, wait 5 minutes, things will change.

I like being surrounded by other that are professional. We all know what our jobs are and we work to get to our goals.
    Softchoice gives you the environment to learn and grow. One of Softchoice yearly themes was "Unleashing Our Potential". SLT (Senior Leadership Team) geneuinely lives by that motto. We are given every opportunity to prove our worth not only to our teams and leaders but most importanly to ourselves. It is very rare to find a company so invested in personal growth.

Currently there is very little politics on my team. Overall I couldn't see myselft working anywhere else.

Cons

Our benefits package was resently downgraded. It feels like it's one of the worst beneifts package i've ever had in my career. I can easily see past the lower end salaries if the benefits are good but this made a lot of people question their loyalties.

Salaries tend to be a the lower end of the spectrum at Softchoice but Softchoice does however invest is a number of employee resources that our competators don't. (ie the amount of licensing resourses is stagering). It's a mixed bag. I think this creates a brain drain that causes alot of people to get the training from Softchoice and then leave for a better salaries. .

Sometimes change is too much. Plenty okay, too much no good.

For the average family, having our benefits package downgraded is the worst. Most of us can live with all the changes we are expected to manage but our benefits plan is still a real sore spot for most.

Softchoice Photos

Cool meeting rooms with lots of tech
Tie-Jacket - one of our top awards
A canine member of the team

+ Add Photo