Softchoice

Updated November 5, 2014
3.5

Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald
David MacDonald

Pros
  • It is really cool to be able to bring your dog to work (in 18 reviews)

• The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others (in 17 reviews)

• You have to wonder about the vision of the organization when a revolving door at senior leadership positions (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

106 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Diverse opportunities good work life balance

Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like all of the different programs I am involved with, lots of opportunity to learn and contribute to exciting work. They also have great flexibility - ability to work from home - anytime, anywhere - but it may depend on your manager and your role. Great benefits and RRSP matching!

Cons

large organization sometimes it takes longer than necessary to complete tasks. Lot's of approvers, less agile. Also needs more focus - focused on too many objectives/areas of business.

Find a focus to keep attention and stick to it/support it.

Great people. Weak leadership.

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

This was, once upon a time, a great place to work. Not so much anymore. The people are great for the most part. The leadership is rapidly showing signs of decay.

Cons

Too much noise all around by people desperate to be noticed by management that manages by perception. Decision making stifled by a top-heavy bureaucracy.

Think through the long term consequences of your decisions instead of blindly bulldozing through the short sighted agenda of the purse string holders.

Follow the latest shiny object

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Supportive Culture and Values
    - Training budget

Cons

Too short term sales focused - talk about becoming a services organization but have failed to realize that the sales cycle for services can be 6 months or more for large deals - causes sales to to focus on small deals because the pressure is always on this month.

Too many people that do not fit their future state but are still here.

Great company for anyone starting out

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture here is fantastic. Some of the friendliest and smartest people you'll ever come across.
    Started working for Softchoice right out of school and over the 3.5 years I was there, I never stopped learning and growing. Made friends along the way too, which was a great bonus.

The Toronto Office is great. Amazing building and dogs all round!

Cons

There's a lot of approvals you have to go through if you ever need to get anything done. Other than that, I can't say there's many negatives about working here, especially if you're just starting out.

Give more responsibility. Don't be afraid to let employees make decisions, or try new ideas.

Challenging, but very rewarding.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The physical space is excellent. The people are brilliant. I never had a "personnel" issue in 8 years. Occasional disagreements sure, but nothing that lasted the day. Lots of new stuff to deal with and training to help but you had to push for it. I started in a moderate position and was promoted to Director so career opportunity is there. Executives make every opportunity to communicate to employees about company events.

Cons

Changes to benefits and parking costs were not positive. Not terrible - benefits are still good just not as good. Old fashioned performance review process is a complete pain.

Formal training process would be good for non-sales staff. I would prefer to see heads of department when hired to be hired either from the department or from qualified external candidates. At a senior level, hiring from other internal departments can work but it is possible that favoritism can become apparent.

Sky's the limit but you have to make your path

Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People, people, people! The company has core values that the employees really live by on a daily basis. There is a real opportunity to grow and move within the organization into differnt areas as long as you want it and are willing to work for it. The people who work hard/play hard are the ones that are successful in this company, which is how it shold be in my opinion.

Cons

The company is short on resources and therefore people are pulled in many directions and work/life balance can sometimes be a challenge.

Get more input from your employees - your real shareholders. There are some great ideas out there in your teams that you might not be aware of.

Mid-level employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the reasons are obvious. Bring your dogs to work, great social environment etc. Other Pros are a little more sutble. It's refreshing working for a company that works hard to put alll their employees on the same page. It's easy to communicate to other when we are all striving for the same goal. I've worked at other IT companies where they create a culture of divisiveness. Softchoice goes out of their way to promote togetherness. It seems to be working.

Change can be both a Pro and a Con. It's very exciting to be working for such a dynamic company. If you're bored at Softchoice, wait 5 minutes, things will change.

I like being surrounded by other that are professional. We all know what our jobs are and we work to get to our goals.
    Softchoice gives you the environment to learn and grow. One of Softchoice yearly themes was "Unleashing Our Potential". SLT (Senior Leadership Team) geneuinely lives by that motto. We are given every opportunity to prove our worth not only to our teams and leaders but most importanly to ourselves. It is very rare to find a company so invested in personal growth.

Currently there is very little politics on my team. Overall I couldn't see myselft working anywhere else.

Cons

Our benefits package was resently downgraded. It feels like it's one of the worst beneifts package i've ever had in my career. I can easily see past the lower end salaries if the benefits are good but this made a lot of people question their loyalties.

Salaries tend to be a the lower end of the spectrum at Softchoice but Softchoice does however invest is a number of employee resources that our competators don't. (ie the amount of licensing resourses is stagering). It's a mixed bag. I think this creates a brain drain that causes alot of people to get the training from Softchoice and then leave for a better salaries. .

Sometimes change is too much. Plenty okay, too much no good.

For the average family, having our benefits package downgraded is the worst. Most of us can live with all the changes we are expected to manage but our benefits plan is still a real sore spot for most.

Great Culture, Great People, Tons of Opportunity

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- amazing culture
    - free employee gym
    - lots of team fundraising events throughout the year (dodgeball, golf, poker, bowling, curling, karaokee,)
    - great location in Toronto (Liberty Village)
    - dog friendly environment
    - always working with new technology

Cons

- sometimes feel a little too metric-driven, but I suppose necessary in a sales environoment
    - depending on your department, compensation could be better

- more career pathing, letting employees know the best way to get to certain positions
    - focus more on the positives
    - communicate clearer vision of where the company is heading, and how different groups would be impacted

People and culture make the difference!

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere and energetic vibe. Lots of community involvement and fun events (beer cart, poker tournaments etc). Very focused on their people and personal growth and development. Can't say enough positive things about Softchoice.

Cons

Training budgets could use some bolstering.

On a whole a great experience

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best I have ever worked with in my career, I can bring my dog to work, in 10 years all three managers I have had have been great- fair and approachable. The space is in liberty village and is quite nice.

Cons

The pay is lower then I would like and I would love to see OPs get a larger share of the pie money wise

We are going through a lot of changes right now, please make sure you have the right people in place to take us into 2015

Softchoice Photos

Cool meeting rooms with lots of tech
Tie-Jacket - one of our top awards
A canine member of the team

+ Add Photo