Softchoice Reviews

3.7
Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald
David MacDonald

1. Great Place to start your career

Current Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A lot of room for growth
    - Great people and culture
    - Good work / life balance

Cons

- Poor management- A lot of great Sales Reps that were promoted to managers. Great Sales Reps don't make Great Managers

2. Good company to work for with a very up beat, positive workplace.

Current Employee - Sales Focused in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Focused in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

I've been with the company for less than one year and overall my experience had been very good. The people are typically very nice to work with any the company works hard to entice their employees to feel good about themselves, both at work and in their person lives. Softchoice has been around for a while and it's growing at a rapid pace.

Cons

Due to changes in the market, like many companies Softchoice is shifting focus from purely a product company to selling professional services. This change is not easy for all individuals and as a result there are growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keeping the employees happy is obviously an ongoing challenge and management does an exceptional job in energizing the rank and file. One aspect which is important and needs some work is a consistent message across the management landscape.

3. Territory Sales Rep Review

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Company Values and Corporate Culture were fantastic. Great activities and charitable programs. Nice tangible perks like catered breakfasts and lunches.

Cons

Management can vary drastically from team to team and your compensation is linked to your manager because the manager decides on your target for each quarter and year. This can either greatly benefit your or give you a disadvantage financially.

5. Great company to work for. . . if you are a dog!

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Certain teams are fun, mostly the people who deal with the clients, and there is real camaraderie among them.

Cons

Some of the senior leaders are not realy flexible and adaptable to change, and if they do bring change, it has to be on their own terms and only what they believe is worth trying. The company is struggling to establish a more mature image, however, because the leaders are not interested in listening to anybody but themselves, they don't know which way to go, and they are slow to adopt things that have been proven to work great for so many other companies.
    Don't believe them if they tell you they help you develop and progress in your career! This is just lip service. The company doesn't even have a tuition reimbursement benefit, so people cannot really educate themselves and prepare themselves for a higher role. The excuse is that people learn 70% of a job on the job. BUt how do you get there if you are lacking some formal education, for instance leadership courses, and cannot afford to take them on your own? You're stuck. The company does not invest in ts people and their education. Instead, it spends money on the so- called "beer cart" event each month. What a waste! Who cares about a bottle of beer at the end of the day on a Friday once a month, when the day-to-day work environment is not rewarding and motivating? The bottom line is: the company has very little money to really grow, and its senior leaders lack the vision to make it into a great company.

The culture is unbeatable

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Softchoice are truly the best. There are so many smart, caring and driven individuals who truly want to help eachother. The leadership team is approachable and supportive.

Cons

I do not have any cons. I have been at Softchoice for over 4 years and my experience has remained positive with each new role I have taken on.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating the strategy and how we will get there. We all need to understand it clearly and fully to continue to grow.

7. great company

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

not sure what i can say here as i was with the company for 8 months only

Cons

lots of problems with mgmt in my role

Advice to Management

know how to manager your staff

A great place to work with some challenges

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Architect
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Architect

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

- Great work environment. Softchoice is really a fun place to work thinking about the human element. Regardless of the sale's floors general knowledge of technology or the enthusiasm to learn from other Pre-Sales Architects, softchoice has incredible spirit. Almost comparable to what you felt when you went to college/university (You have to work a 9 to 5 now so it's tempered. But definitely present.)
    You WILL have fun at softchoice, young or old (from what I see).

- As a large Reseller Softchoice often has great relationships with various vendors and as a pre-sale architect, I received thousands of dollars of free courses and training from my Vendor

- I had a great boss. An okay to good boss seems to be the norm across the board, very few actually bad ones on the PreSales Business Development side

- Most successful "open door policy" I have seen. While I did not interact much with the executive staff, within a month of working there I had been introduced to and was meeting with Directors, SVPs and the like who were happy to answer questions. There does not seem to be much inherit pompousness with titles which is good

- Slower work pace. This one is a little strange for me because I came from as close as a PreSales can get to a sweat shop to much, MUCH slower pace. My idea of "normal" might be a bit warped.

- Fast. As a company Softchoice moves much faster than my previous work environments. If they say they are going to do something, expect it done next quarter rather than in the next 2 years. Allows them to adapt

I could go on, but these are some of the top of mind issuses

Cons

- Silos. Oh the silos. Sales is siloed from PreSales, PreSales is siloed from Services, hell PreSales are siloed from OTHER PreSales resources (which make building complete solutions more challenging than it needs to be.) Now as I mentioned, softchoice is fast so there is already moves to fix this. Now how that will turn out? We shall see.

- For a PreSales resource, the progression path is not clear. There seem to be a lot of BUs and orgs around but no defined path of entry. They may exisit, but I have not been made aware of them and I am the type to nose around.

- Technical Sellers and resources don't lead deal. I had gotten used to the idea of as long as you are decent on the phone with a customer and we are talking about solutions, the technical sellers and resources should lead the engagement (not the relationship mind you. The Particular solution.)

- The company seemed to have already bet on it's horses, which is usually required as a reseller, however it still tries to have a far a reach as possible with all technologies which confuses the sales force a bit.

- Sales enablement while plentiful does not seem particularly, functionally effective.

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you are doing with softchoice culture
    - Inside PreSales resources are slight below market rate @ the lower level and better at the highest level. That's a problem. Culture is great but does not compensate for everything
    - Highlight progression paths for the technical resources. Some have been in the same position for over half a decade.
    - Create a culture of technical excellence. Expect technical resources to lead solutions, not sales, but HOLD them to that. They cannot simply go in with technical knowledge and call it a day.

Softchoice Response

Feb 26, 2015HR Business Partner

We’re so glad you’re enjoying your time at Softchoice. Thanks for sharing your experience!

A great company to work for

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Softchoice is an excellent company to work for. The environment is friendly, fast-paced and challenging. Very work-hard, play-hard. There are plenty of opportunities for growth whether in your current role, looking for a new role or something else like participating in our corporate philanthropic effort, Softchoice Cares, or on one of our new Diversity Commitees. I've been with the organization for 10+ years and really do believe that Softchoice puts people first. I've benefited from that value first hand!

Cons

Softchoice is an organization undergoing a transformation. We're transitioning from a software/hardware business to being a full solution provider. This is very exciting because there are a lot of changes and growth opportunites but change isn't without it's challenges. You've got to see the forest for the trees! Because I've been with the organization for 10+ years, I've seen Softchoice through several changes and we've always come through better and stronger then before.

A company in transition ...

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- friendly people and great culture
    - Training and personal development
    - flexible work schedules if results are shown
    - great vendor partner relationships
    - dogs, dogs, dogs

Cons

- short term focus of sales, they need more focus on long term services sales
    - sales tends to have a bratty culture that the rest of the org. is asked to bow down to
    - although a culture of engineering is wanted in the S&S BU the investments that are needed to support this are not always made
    - too much focus on PS when Keystone is the real recurring revenue generator

Advice to Management

Let's create a real culture of engineering!!! Invest in R&D and lets get some IP developed that can make us a real differentiator in the marketplace

11. Sales Manager

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Young Culture in Toronto Office

Cons

-Low salary based on industry averages