Softchoice

Be The First To
Add Photos

Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald

David MacDonald

Pros:
  • "They let you bring your dog into work"
    in 16 reviews
  • "The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others"
    in 13 reviews
  • "poor ethics amongst senior leadership team"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Services Problems

Outbound Representative (Current Employee)

ProsIt is really cool to be able to bring your dog to work. Those that are allergic to dogs or do not like dogs know the policy so they can choose whether to accept employment if that bothers them.

ConsI do not work in one of the large offices, such at Toronto, Seattle, Atlanta... As such, Softchoice has not really invested in technical talent where I work. However, we are still supposed to be selling professional services. Travel makes out of state resources expensive. We do most of our services using partners. From what I hear from other cities is that the partners tend to be easier to work with than Softchoice employees.

The problem is that most of the good subcontractors do not want to work with us any more. We mark up their rate, sometimes excessively, then add project management and do not provide no value to the customer for the charges. On top of that we may take months to pay the partner. The partner can not find anyone at Softchoice that can explain why there is a delay or what happened when checks do not arrive when promised. No one seems to know anything or to care. If a partner is good, why would they put up with all of this?

There are few people in the company that value customers, employees or partners. It appears that most people outside of sales view their job as making Sofchoice hard to do business with. It is amazing to me that a business that counts on sales people selling things to stay in business, would have such a low disregard for sales people, customers and partners.

Our leaders did a good job when we were selling just Microsoft licenses, but they are clearly over their head at this stage. The private investors will probably bring in their own team, but I do not expect I will be around long enough to enjoy the benefits of that change. I will be getting in the huge revolving door with all the others soon and exiting.

Fear Uncertainty and Doubt

ProsI have made lots of friends. Softchoice cares invests in those that need help.

ConsI just returned from a mid year event. The event this year was different than previous years in that only leadership and some technical resources attended. Fear uncertainty and doubt was the mood. A couple VP’s have recently retired. From conversations at the midyear, more leaders are expecting to leave in the near future.

We have recently been acquired by a private equity firm. Private equity firms rarely sink money into organizations that are doing great. They are looking to quickly improve the value of their investment, often by making radical changes.

While no one publicly talked about it, the Softchoice track record is not good. Last year we were around 30% of plan for services. This year, we realized that we could not hit the aggressive growth that we wanted without redefining the term. Now we are counting software titles that happen to be deployed via a web browser as a service, thereby increasing our services revenue. As a result of the new definition, we are around 80% of our services plan. ESSN revenue (storage servers and networking) has declined by about 20% over last year while that segment of the market is growing at our competitors.

That is why the consensus is that the senior leadership at Softchoice does not have the ability to take us to the next level and that the new investors will recognize that soon if they do not already. Of course, the public comments were all what they thought that we wanted to hear , which was that the senior leadership was on board for the next 5 years. In my opinion, that would be a disaster.

Life as a TSR-Overworked-Underpaid & all the beer you can drink

TSR (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsHealth insurance

Casual attire

There are some genuinely nice people that work here

Ping Ping Table

EL stop at front door

Commuter stipend

Ok for VERY FIRST job

Regular feedback on performance

Its not horrible,but they should call it what it is... Customer Service-Order
    Taker

ConsVery immature frat house environment, charading as start-up culture

Management in full suppot of culture in hopes that you will be distracted from the fact that you're not making money.

Compensation-Commission is very vague and calculation is questionable.

Free breakfast/lurches & beer on Friday because you won't be able to afford it on your own

50% of your time is spent as audience to any vendor willing to pay the the price of admission.

Micromanagement rivaled only by that of inmates

Alumni reps are paid to tell you how great it is, but in reality they hate it too

Technical resources are spread so thin that they constantly deadlines. Commission is lost so dig in on those free lunches.

Burnout

Advice to Senior ManagementNone- I'm sure this is a very profitable business model

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, great leadership

Seattle, WA

ProsSoftchoice hires great people that fit well in to the work hard play hard culture. You need to prove you can handle the work load, quotas and time management. If you're doing what you need to be doing then you'll do well, if you're not willing or able to perform then you won't...pretty simple. It's a fun culture of experienced and inexperienced people who are all learning from each other and taking care of each other. The dogs in the office is a plus! Softchoice tends to hire from with in so there are lots of opportunities if you're successful in your current role.

ConsGrowth targets are aggressive YOY

Not for the experienced...... great for entry level employees

ProsSome friendly people; great place for new college graduates to learn business and sales etiquette..... and that would be that....

ConsNo employee loyalty, less than industry average pay; cheap, arrogant, typicall "reseller", high turnover, immature management teams, churn and burn mentality, anything to make a buck, margin, margin, margin and simply no true direction other than "GP, GP, GP....".

Advice to Senior ManagementJust the feedback on the cons .... if they would only read this feedback......

Good training investments in their employees

Enterprise Solution Architect (Current Employee)
    North Atlanta, GA

ProsVery good training investments in their employees. Lots of opportunities for career advancement.

ConsThe sales force can tend to be a bit young. This can cause some generational related clashes.

So-So

Computer Guy (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood People to work with. Beer cart fridays!!!

ConsFreakin dogs allowed at work, also employees in Seattle office dressed and acted like it was first job out of college or one of their first jobs, not a professional workplace where people dress nicely.

Advice to Senior ManagementDress like you are the boss.

Not a good place to work.

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsBeer Cart Fridays. Benefits start on day 1.

ConsManagement doesn't care about your development. There's absolutely no training for new employees. They expect you to sell every single thing on earth. Hours are terrible. They treat Inside Sales Reps like dogs.

Softchoice Wins Award

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsSoftchoice cares is a great program that possitively effects the lives of people around the world.

ConsEach year a number of companies have a third party company survey their employees to determine how much they like working there. A few years ago, employees responses rated us as one of the top places to work. Early 2012, they conducted the survey again, however Softchoice is now rated in the lower 25% of places to work. One of the most negative responses were in relation to a basic distrust of and lack of confidence in senior leadership. One of the senior leadership team members flew around the company to conduct round table discussions with employees. One of the most hilarious moments was when an employee asked an honest question, having only been at Softchoice for a short while. This employee wanted to know if we just resell product that other companies make, what makes us different than other organizations that resell. This leader appeared to be caught offguard and responded, "uh, we like to think that we do things better." This is "leadership" at Softchoice :).

Elitest attitudes in a sub-par working environment

Network Engineer (Former Employee)
    Norcross, GA

ProsPay is slightly above average for the same job eslewhere

ConsCompany cut salaries by 10% accross the board so there would be no lay-offs, then two weeks later, laid-off a huge amount of people

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say you are going to do, don't get peoples hopes up, then kick them to the curb

Worked for Softchoice? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Softchoice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Softchoice CEO David MacDonald. All 159 reviews posted anonymously by Softchoice employees.