Softchoice

Be The First To
Add Photos

Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald

David MacDonald

Pros:
  • "They let you bring your dog into work"
    in 16 reviews
  • "The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others"
    in 13 reviews
  • "poor ethics amongst senior leadership team"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great culture, opportunities, and environment

ProsThe culture is fantastic; from the first day I started working at Softchoice, I was immediately welcomed by everyone, even the Directors and VP's. They gave the sense of a "home sweet home" feel when it came to being at work. Everyone works hard, and most of everybody is very dedicated to actually make a difference in the company. We take an occasional, but quick recess to the break room to play ping pong or just to sit and talk to regroup or to get out of work mode for a few minutes. Some Softchoice buildings have a dog friendly atmosphere, which brings a comfortable feeling knowing that a puppy is waiting for your hand to pet them. Whenever someone needs guidance, the managers/directors/VP's are there to assist you with any questions or just to give insight through experience to help further your career and to be successful.

Softchoice has invested a gargantuan amount of time and money for my career. They have set a path for me to accelerate my knowledge within the field given to me and I am very grateful to have Softchoice lead my career down the right path.

ConsMaybe some communication issues, but that has only happened a couple of times. People get busy and aren't able to respond quickly...understandable.

A great place to start a career, with great people but a lack of corporate vision.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsDogs at work. Youthful, fun environment for new sales reps. Many hardworking, kind-hearted, and well-intentioned people. Honestly, a lot of great people. The ability to sell nearly anything in the IT space. Softchoice also does some great things in terms of charity work with Softchoice Cares. It's a great part of the company. Very nice insurance.

I frequently say Softchoice is a great place to start a career because new hires learn a lot and are exposed to many parts of the industry. They have the opportunity to move into many areas of the business or go elsewhere with a great starting background.

ConsAll the great people in the world can't replace the lack of a cohesive strategy. Softchoice doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up, and in the meantime, it's difficult for sales reps to deliver a value proposition. That makes it hard to sell. Compounding problems, the vast majority of reps have one of the worst compensation plans in the industry. This leads to high turnover among sales, which leads to turnover among presales and engineering, which ultimately leads to client turnover, (and less importantly, middle management turnover.) Senior management will put all the blame on reps and lower level managers for failure to execute, when in reality the sales reps' hands are tied due to lack of resources.

I mentioned earlier that junior reps can move elsewhere in the business. You'd think that they would be motivated to stay and become senior reps, but due to the reasons above, they aren't.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your reps at a rate commensurate with the industry, or go elsewhere. "The machine" that you've built doesn't work anymore, and a lot of customers demand more. Successful sales reps ultimately are the foundation of your firm, and when a CEO deep down believes in capping rep pay, he's not going to attract the best. The best salespeople will go elsewhere, as will the architects, engineers and associated talent that help those reps succeed in the first place.

Great place to start your career.

ProsThe environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc. Softchoice is a company filled with good (smart) people, it provides you with a great opportunity to learn from your peers and share successes.

ConsPlain and simple, the pay sucks. Its a great place to learn but its extremely hard to get a pay increase even if they do promote you. Softchoice is constantly changing, they just cant seem to figure out what works which is unfortunate because they really do have a lot of potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on a company strategy and stick to it for more than a year. It really hurts morale when employee's aren't clear on what they are working towards.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Softchoice has been an incredible foundation for a long career in technology

ProsGreat people, great work/life balance, great products and support

ConsLower compensation than competitors, major shift in business over the last 5 years has been bumpy

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pursuing groundbreaking technologies to support

Semi-Great Leadership, Great Vision, NO Execution

ProsCulture is AMAZING
    Play Hard and Work Harder!

ConsNo clear direction, management says on thing, and you are tasked with another. Focused on one "new thing" to sell each year and other business segments fall to the waste side.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to stop promoting people from within, poison is deadly. We need fresh thinkers, real world people who can bring in real world solutions.

Great culture, evolving organization

Network Engineer (Delivery) (Current Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsYou will be challenged at Softchoice. As long as you're a team player, your career here will continually have an upward trend. The environment is constantly changing, because as an organization, if something we try doesn't work, we adapt. It's definitely something I appreciate. An example of this would be the evolution from a product-only company to a full fledged services/solutions organization. Having been here for four years, the transition has been very evident. We still have a long way to go as a company, but I'm excited about what I've seen so far, and I love being on the ground floor of this transition.

ConsSometimes all the groups that exist to support sales/services seem to get in the way of each other. Communication between groups could be better. Not all engineers that have been at Softchoice are team players. Some are even cowboys, and want to do their own thing. That really detracts from moving the company forward on the services front, and can be really obnoxious for the rest of us trying to evolve our business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild clearer lines of communication between groups.

Boiler Room with a lot of perks for those in the 'loop', Outrageous quotas for everyone else.

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros...can't seem to think of any

ConsWhere do I begin...
    Margin is all they care about.
    Misleading customers is A O K with them.
    Double your quote when you actually hit the crazy quota they have given you.
    Sell services, sell service, sell services, then mislead customers into believing they actually got what they paid for.
    Scare customers into buying from us...
    Did I mention that margin is all they care about?
    Let's play who is my manager today?
    Did you say we can actually sell that or just pretend we can sell that?
    What, we are a services company, that's funny you could have fooled me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBankrupt the company, and go back telling used cars.

Great place to work for sales/marketing

Sales/Marketing (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat atmosphere and totally geared to support career advancement. Lots of perks and benefits. Perfect place to start career straight out of college/Uni.

ConsNot enough money compared to other companies doing the same thing. Everything is geared to push people up (or out), so if you find the right job/level you are happy with you're out of luck because management will not respect you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Ok for first job

ProsGood money for first job

ConsNot a career you make it or your fired

Good working environment with some growth opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYoung and energetic company culture

ConsLow base salary, commission structure could be better

Worked for Softchoice? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Softchoice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Softchoice CEO David MacDonald. All 160 reviews posted anonymously by Softchoice employees.