Softchoice Reviews

230 reviews filtered by

Great culture, evolving organization

Current Employee - Network Engineer (Delivery) in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer (Delivery) in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will be challenged at Softchoice. As long as you're a team player, your career here will continually have an upward trend. The environment is constantly changing, because as an organization, if something we try doesn't work, we adapt. It's definitely something I appreciate. An example of this would be the evolution from a product-only company to a full fledged services/solutions organization. Having been here for four years, the transition has been very evident. We still have a long way to go as a company, but I'm excited about what I've seen so far, and I love being on the ground floor of this transition.

Cons

Sometimes all the groups that exist to support sales/services seem to get in the way of each other. Communication between groups could be better. Not all engineers that have been at Softchoice are team players. Some are even cowboys, and want to do their own thing. That really detracts from moving the company forward on the services front, and can be really obnoxious for the rest of us trying to evolve our business.

Build clearer lines of communication between groups.

Semi-Great Leadership, Great Vision, NO Execution

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is AMAZING
    Play Hard and Work Harder!

Cons

No clear direction, management says on thing, and you are tasked with another. Focused on one "new thing" to sell each year and other business segments fall to the waste side.

Time to stop promoting people from within, poison is deadly. We need fresh thinkers, real world people who can bring in real world solutions.

Great place to work for sales/marketing

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and totally geared to support career advancement. Lots of perks and benefits. Perfect place to start career straight out of college/Uni.

Cons

Not enough money compared to other companies doing the same thing. Everything is geared to push people up (or out), so if you find the right job/level you are happy with you're out of luck because management will not respect you.

Pay more

Ok for first job

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Good money for first job

Cons

Not a career you make it or your fired

For you if you like a frathouse/boiler room environment

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Canadian company provides excellent health benefits and many paid holidays. Volunteer days are paid. Many employee meal perks and lavish sales conferences twice a year. Generous sales incentives and bonuses for presidents club

Cons

Horrendously bureaucratic. Too many chefs in the kitchen, via middle management. Unless you are in the "boys club" you are an outsider. If you aren't an alcoholic you are a nobody. most offices hire extremely young fresh out of college, if not younger, candidates. Tons of beautiful women hired strictly on looks and favored because of it, regardless of skill level in any capacity. Management techniques are boiler room driven and are levels (micro managers). Lots of chatter not enough action. Not minority friendly environment (race/gender/disability). Preach team based strategies, but in reality, an "Every man for himself" environment. Sales approaches are borderline auto sales tactics. Known to fire customer accounts with little hesitation due to lack of profit extraction. Managerial level support is absolutely non-existent. Customers are only treated properly if they are a large source of gross profit. Services organization is a complete mess. Services division, Licensing, and Hardware divisions communicate very little and work against teamwork in counterproductive ways due to egos/territories overlapping. Team work is non existent. District managers are lazy and feel entitled. Absolutely the worst place for someone to work with any level of intelligence whatsoever. Base salary is a joke. commission structure is purposefully vague and misleading. Unless you look like a cast member for the Jersey Shore, you can forget about fitting in. Only hire Caucasian, slender, highschool/college level frat/sorority types. Drug use is rampant at sales conferences. Middle Management/Specialists/Vendor Reps are offensively unqualified and are only rewarded their positions based on favoritism and brown nosing.

Clean house of middle management and rebuild a solid foundation of real professionals. Listen to employee feedback. Change the boiler room culture and used car sales/copier rep atmosphere. Treat customers and employees with dignity and respect.

Good working environment with some growth opportunity

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Young and energetic company culture

Cons

Low base salary, commission structure could be better

Worst place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

health insurance from day one (this is the only real pro)
    vendor sponsored breakfast & lunches
    beer cart Friday
    met some nice people
    OK place to work while looking for a real job, or if you enjoy working for free lunch and beer

Cons

horrible commission...questionable calculations
    they over promise and under deliver
    resources spread very thin
    high school antics/pranks ALL DAY, EVERY DAY
    micromanagement stops just short of lining up in hall to go to lunch and bathroom passes

management should stop promoting this frat house unprofessional work environment

Work hard and play hard environment.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for a sales or marketing professional. Lots of free food and a fun office environment. Lots of recognition. Not cubeland. I would recommend to someone just starting out in their career.

Cons

Lots of changes in management. Very numbers focused. Lots of pressure from management, if in sales. High turnover as usual in sales office.

Vision without execution is just hallucination

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

- Casual downtown office
    - Opportunity to network with large vendors
    - Bring dogs to work
    - Great place to kick-start your career after college/university

Cons

The strategic direction of the organization is set every year during their annual kick-off. During my last year, the focus on services made complete sense...in theory. Unfortunately, the company lacked the vision, tools, resources and management talent required to carry-out the strategy. It wasn't until half way through the year until we all received a PowerPoint slide with a few fluffy value propositions that were intended to be an aid for all things services. Needless to say, the strategy wasn't executed. As the end of the year neared with the strategy hanging in the air without anything to support it, the company did what they needed to do: conduct layoffs and reorganize individual contributors. Management, of course, was left unscathed.
    The culture is very challenging. At the onset, it appears like a vibrant, social, work hard/play hard environment, but behind the thin layer of "drinks after work" lies a corporate culture seeded with arrogance. In the end, there were far too many "this doesn't feel right in my stomach" moments that finally prompted me to leave.

Stop pointing fingers at individual contributors and take a long hard look at your decisions and behaviours.

An excellent place to start a sales career.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun working environment
    Vendor sponsored team events
    Good to very good training

Cons

Low pay
    Not enough diversity amongst employees
    Feels like a frat house at times

Cut back on the numerous, fluffy goals and focus on a few key goals