Softchoice Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Talented, high character people passionate about a great culture

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I imagine there are few companies of this size (~1500 employees) where anyone can share their thoughts openly about how things are handled internally. Upper management is very open to feedback; it's only those that choose to be quiet that aren't heard. The company is serious about its people and ensuring the unique culture is protected. The work/life balance is great--people bring their dogs into the office, workout together at lunch, and spouses/significant others are always welcome at company events. Personal development is a serious commitment, so much so that personal goals are tracked and figured into annual reviews.

Cons

Just as it's exciting to work for a company that feels like it's constantly evolving, it can also be frustrating. Often it's apparent when strategic initiatives are put in place and fizzle because they aren't as effective as anticipated. Sellers have to endure some difficult outcomes with projects because the organization has to stumble before it can find its stride as a true professional services company.

Advice to Management

Don't take Softchoice's culture for granted as the company grows and expands in solutions/services. Revenue growth and metrics are important but what really makes this place special is the quality of people who show up every day. Continue to celebrate Softchoice's uniqueness and "soul," don't let its character mirror that of the larger competitors.

Dynamic company, career path options, strong industry reputation

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Softchoice has a strong culture, is agressive in the market, and is highly ethical with its clients. After working at a few other places, it is nice to land at a place where people are actually proud to work So far, it truly seems to value its people ...while being super focused on growth over the long term. Open door policy definitely helps.

Cons

Not much to report currently.

Advice to Management

Really apprecaite the all-in-company calls each month, lets keep those going. Want to see us continue to develop the technical career path options as well. Cloud, etc.

One of the best companies to work for!!!

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Softchoice is an incredible organization that puts it's people first, setting them up for success, and providing vast resources to support the business. Work hard, play hard mentality. I'm a better person today, personally and professionally, because of Softchoice. Always had it's best interest in it's people, investing in personal growth and development. From the very first day of employment, you feel well taken care of and part of something unique and special. Benefits are incredible and leadership is always open ears!

Cons

Career development and promotion may be limited if you're not located in a call center. Very rare executive sponsorship in the local branches. Compensation is fair. Breadth of products and services are almost too much... focus on everything, focus on nothing.

5. Company has good culture but lacks execution.

Current Employee - Outbound Account Executive
    Current Employee - Outbound Account Executive

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work/life balance. Good training program for those new to technology sales.

Cons

Compensation rate below others in industry.

6. Friendly people but senior leadership is clueless

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Great people and safe environment.

Cons

Lack of direction. Senior leadership can't decide whether to be full service or be a CDW. Can't keep employees once they get experience. Lots of talk about being a professional services company but no commitment to actually becoming one. The inability to keep senior sales people has locked out strategic opportunity to the company keeping it in the realm of transactional business. Sorely in need of a change at the C level.

Advice to Management

The board needs to clean house at the top. New leadership.

A great place to start a career, with great people but a lack of corporate vision.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dogs at work. Youthful, fun environment for new sales reps. Many hardworking, kind-hearted, and well-intentioned people. Honestly, a lot of great people. The ability to sell nearly anything in the IT space. Softchoice also does some great things in terms of charity work with Softchoice Cares. It's a great part of the company. Very nice insurance. I frequently say Softchoice is a great place to start a career because new hires learn a lot and are exposed to many parts of the industry. They have the opportunity to move into many areas of the business or go elsewhere with a great starting background.

Cons

All the great people in the world can't replace the lack of a cohesive strategy. Softchoice doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up, and in the meantime, it's difficult for sales reps to deliver a value proposition. That makes it hard to sell. Compounding problems, the vast majority of reps have one of the worst compensation plans in the industry. This leads to high turnover among sales, which leads to turnover among presales and engineering, which ultimately leads to client turnover, (and less importantly, middle management turnover.) Senior management will put all the blame on reps and lower level managers for failure to execute, when in reality the sales reps' hands are tied due to lack of resources. I mentioned earlier that junior reps can move elsewhere in the business. You'd think that they would be motivated to stay and become senior reps, but due to the reasons above, they aren't.

Advice to Management

Pay your reps at a rate commensurate with the industry, or go elsewhere. "The machine" that you've built doesn't work anymore, and a lot of customers demand more. Successful sales reps ultimately are the foundation of your firm, and when a CEO deep down believes in capping rep pay, he's not going to attract the best. The best salespeople will go elsewhere, as will the architects, engineers and associated talent that help those reps succeed in the first place.

Great culture, opportunities, and environment

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

The culture is fantastic; from the first day I started working at Softchoice, I was immediately welcomed by everyone, even the Directors and VP's. They gave the sense of a "home sweet home" feel when it came to being at work. Everyone works hard, and most of everybody is very dedicated to actually make a difference in the company. We take an occasional, but quick recess to the break room to play ping pong or just to sit and talk to regroup or to get out of work mode for a few minutes. Some Softchoice buildings have a dog friendly atmosphere, which brings a comfortable feeling knowing that a puppy is waiting for your hand to pet them. Whenever someone needs guidance, the managers/directors/VP's are there to assist you with any questions or just to give insight through experience to help further your career and to be successful. Softchoice has invested a gargantuan amount of time and money for my career. They have set a path for me to accelerate my knowledge within the field given to me and I am very grateful to have Softchoice lead my career down the right path.

Cons

Maybe some communication issues, but that has only happened a couple of times. People get busy and aren't able to respond quickly...understandable.

Great place to start your career.

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc. Softchoice is a company filled with good (smart) people, it provides you with a great opportunity to learn from your peers and share successes.

Cons

Plain and simple, the pay sucks. Its a great place to learn but its extremely hard to get a pay increase even if they do promote you. Softchoice is constantly changing, they just cant seem to figure out what works which is unfortunate because they really do have a lot of potential.

Advice to Management

Decide on a company strategy and stick to it for more than a year. It really hurts morale when employee's aren't clear on what they are working towards.

Softchoice has been an incredible foundation for a long career in technology

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Great people, great work/life balance, great products and support

Cons

Lower compensation than competitors, major shift in business over the last 5 years has been bumpy

Advice to Management

Keep pursuing groundbreaking technologies to support

Great culture, evolving organization

Current Employee - Network Engineer (Delivery) in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer (Delivery) in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will be challenged at Softchoice. As long as you're a team player, your career here will continually have an upward trend. The environment is constantly changing, because as an organization, if something we try doesn't work, we adapt. It's definitely something I appreciate. An example of this would be the evolution from a product-only company to a full fledged services/solutions organization. Having been here for four years, the transition has been very evident. We still have a long way to go as a company, but I'm excited about what I've seen so far, and I love being on the ground floor of this transition.

Cons

Sometimes all the groups that exist to support sales/services seem to get in the way of each other. Communication between groups could be better. Not all engineers that have been at Softchoice are team players. Some are even cowboys, and want to do their own thing. That really detracts from moving the company forward on the services front, and can be really obnoxious for the rest of us trying to evolve our business.

Advice to Management

Build clearer lines of communication between groups.

RSS Feed </> Embed