Softchoice

Updated January 28, 2015
3.7

Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald
David MacDonald

Pros
  • It is really cool to be able to bring your dog to work (in 18 reviews)

• The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others (in 17 reviews)

• You have to wonder about the vision of the organization when a revolving door at senior leadership positions (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Softchoice is not sure what they want to be

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Most of the employees in the services area want to be effective, but the leadership does not seem to know what they want to do.

Cons

I was in services. In 2 years, I had 5 managers. Each one wanted to do something different. In fact, at the top of the services organization, there were 4 leaders in the period of time. The first one was removed by the others in senior leadership. I did not know him well, but it appeared that they felt intimidated since he was probably the only true leader in the company and had quite a following. He definitely had positive qualities that they don't. Then they brought in a good friend of theirs to run services who had been successful at a previous company. He said that it did not take him long to realize that he was sold a bill of goods and that he could not be successful at Softchoice. The third one was pretty sharp and seemed to understand the business very well. He had been successful in building a strong services practice at a company that Softchoice acquired. He said that Softchoice was breaking everything that he had created before the company was sold and left. The one that I am assuming is still currently leading the practice seems like a nice person. I do not know much about him since I left shortly after he took over. He was running IT previously before this move with, shall we say, mixed results.

The top executives say that they want to transform the business, but seem to have a lack of direction and are not interested in learning from those that have been successful at other organizations.

Nothing - The already know best and are not interested in advice.

No training, too much work for very low pay

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Good benefits that start day one, beercart fridays, laid back work environment.

Cons

Absolute worse training program ever, you're told the training is 3 months but all you do is transfer calls and administrative tasks for other reps, nothing that has to do with selling or the actual job. As a result you know nothing when you finish "training" very low pay

Good Culture

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Softchoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good sales training, opportunity for advancement, good work culture

Cons

lack of leadership, etc etc

Move to privatization may be a good thing

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Nice people, social company with lots of good activity with charities
    Lots of communication to employees like all-in-company calls and company events
    Good Company with strong financial results and a solid reputation

We were just bought by a private equity firm and from what I can see, I think that the move to privatization will allow the management team to make long term investments and allow the employees some time to digest and execute on these investments before rushing off to the next idea. This may help people settle in, focus on what they need to do and stay longer.

We heard this week that employees will have the chance to invest in the company. I want to know more details...but this sounds like it could be a great opportunity and one that few other companies can offer.

Cons

Lots of change...the pace can be very hectic
    Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others.

Keep asking employees for ideas or suggestions on how we can be better and communicate back to us what we are doing with this feedback.

Services Problems

Current Employee - Outbound Representative
    Current Employee - Outbound Representative

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

It is really cool to be able to bring your dog to work. Those that are allergic to dogs or do not like dogs know the policy so they can choose whether to accept employment if that bothers them.

Cons

I do not work in one of the large offices, such at Toronto, Seattle, Atlanta... As such, Softchoice has not really invested in technical talent where I work. However, we are still supposed to be selling professional services. Travel makes out of state resources expensive. We do most of our services using partners. From what I hear from other cities is that the partners tend to be easier to work with than Softchoice employees.

The problem is that most of the good subcontractors do not want to work with us any more. We mark up their rate, sometimes excessively, then add project management and do not provide no value to the customer for the charges. On top of that we may take months to pay the partner. The partner can not find anyone at Softchoice that can explain why there is a delay or what happened when checks do not arrive when promised. No one seems to know anything or to care. If a partner is good, why would they put up with all of this?

There are few people in the company that value customers, employees or partners. It appears that most people outside of sales view their job as making Sofchoice hard to do business with. It is amazing to me that a business that counts on sales people selling things to stay in business, would have such a low disregard for sales people, customers and partners.

Our leaders did a good job when we were selling just Microsoft licenses, but they are clearly over their head at this stage. The private investors will probably bring in their own team, but I do not expect I will be around long enough to enjoy the benefits of that change. I will be getting in the huge revolving door with all the others soon and exiting.

Fear Uncertainty and Doubt

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

I have made lots of friends. Softchoice cares invests in those that need help.

Cons

I just returned from a mid year event. The event this year was different than previous years in that only leadership and some technical resources attended. Fear uncertainty and doubt was the mood. A couple VP’s have recently retired. From conversations at the midyear, more leaders are expecting to leave in the near future.

We have recently been acquired by a private equity firm. Private equity firms rarely sink money into organizations that are doing great. They are looking to quickly improve the value of their investment, often by making radical changes.

While no one publicly talked about it, the Softchoice track record is not good. Last year we were around 30% of plan for services. This year, we realized that we could not hit the aggressive growth that we wanted without redefining the term. Now we are counting software titles that happen to be deployed via a web browser as a service, thereby increasing our services revenue. As a result of the new definition, we are around 80% of our services plan. ESSN revenue (storage servers and networking) has declined by about 20% over last year while that segment of the market is growing at our competitors.

That is why the consensus is that the senior leadership at Softchoice does not have the ability to take us to the next level and that the new investors will recognize that soon if they do not already. Of course, the public comments were all what they thought that we wanted to hear , which was that the senior leadership was on board for the next 5 years. In my opinion, that would be a disaster.

Life as a TSR-Overworked-Underpaid & all the beer you can drink

Current Employee - TSR in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - TSR in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health insurance

Casual attire

There are some genuinely nice people that work here

Ping Ping Table

EL stop at front door

Commuter stipend

Ok for VERY FIRST job

Regular feedback on performance

Its not horrible,but they should call it what it is... Customer Service-Order
    Taker

Cons

Very immature frat house environment, charading as start-up culture

Management in full suppot of culture in hopes that you will be distracted from the fact that you're not making money.

Compensation-Commission is very vague and calculation is questionable.

Free breakfast/lurches & beer on Friday because you won't be able to afford it on your own

50% of your time is spent as audience to any vendor willing to pay the the price of admission.

Micromanagement rivaled only by that of inmates

Alumni reps are paid to tell you how great it is, but in reality they hate it too

Technical resources are spread so thin that they constantly deadlines. Commission is lost so dig in on those free lunches.

Burnout

None- I'm sure this is a very profitable business model

Great People, great leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Softchoice hires great people that fit well in to the work hard play hard culture. You need to prove you can handle the work load, quotas and time management. If you're doing what you need to be doing then you'll do well, if you're not willing or able to perform then you won't...pretty simple. It's a fun culture of experienced and inexperienced people who are all learning from each other and taking care of each other. The dogs in the office is a plus! Softchoice tends to hire from with in so there are lots of opportunities if you're successful in your current role.

Cons

Growth targets are aggressive YOY

Not for the experienced...... great for entry level employees

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Some friendly people; great place for new college graduates to learn business and sales etiquette..... and that would be that....

Cons

No employee loyalty, less than industry average pay; cheap, arrogant, typicall "reseller", high turnover, immature management teams, churn and burn mentality, anything to make a buck, margin, margin, margin and simply no true direction other than "GP, GP, GP....".

Just the feedback on the cons .... if they would only read this feedback......

Good training investments in their employees

Current Employee - Enterprise Solution Architect in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Solution Architect in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good training investments in their employees. Lots of opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

The sales force can tend to be a bit young. This can cause some generational related clashes.

Softchoice Photos