Softchoice

Updated November 25, 2014
3.5

Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald
David MacDonald

Pros
  • It is really cool to be able to bring your dog to work (in 18 reviews)

• The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others (in 17 reviews)

• You have to wonder about the vision of the organization when a revolving door at senior leadership positions (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Insight from Professional Services

Current Employee - Professional Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Softchoice is a company that is trying to grow
    We can bring our dog into the office. It is cool to meet other workers pets.

Cons

I am a billable PS resource. I need to respond to the outbound rep that said that the sales people do not have confidence in the services organization to deliver if they sell our internal services. A service engagement that is "less than successful" is often not the fault of the technical person. Our managers feel such pressure from the top to hit unreasonable ultization numbers, that they often send us on projects where the right thing to do would be to use a partner that has the exact skills necessary to hit a home run. There is a general lack of concern for our customers in senior leadership and in some of our services leadership. PS and Pre-sale technical resources have had enough of the current direction and many have already left. I will not be far behind.

Learned a lot at Mid Year Event

Current Employee - Outbound Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Outbound Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beer Cart Friday is fun, but surprised the company wants the liability associated with us hitting the streets afterwards :)
    Bring Dog to work is unique and great if you have a dog.

Cons

We just came back from our Mid Year event in Chicago. I am a fairly new empIoyee and learned a lot. Softchoice had modified our commission program to incent us to sell services. However, zero percent of my peers from around the country feel comfortable with our ability to deliver on the services if we sell them. Too many projects all over the country have been less than successful. We have a choice - (1) maximize our commision by selling something that puts our customer at risk or (2) jepordize our relationship with customers that trust us. I have sold services successfully before at another company, but can not in good conscience do that here. After the mid year trip to Chicago with many conversations with my peers, I now understand how services sales can be flat when that is such a focus this year. I have decided that I need to just chalk this up as momentary lack of judgement when I accepted a job at Softchoice and move on.

The board needs to seriously consider if they believe that current senior leadership has the ability to transform Softchoice from a company that does more than just sell product. Fresh talent at the top with leadship skills and an understanding of the solutions business could pay huge dividends to stockholders.

A great starting company.

Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vendor Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Coming out of college, a great compnay to get your feet wet with. Young people, young manager, easy going work environment. Dogs in the office and casual dress. They will train you and let you learn the business.

Cons

Growth isn't always based on ability, but also your ability to join the gossip group. It feels a bit like high school or an episode of the office at times. They make it tough to seperate work and family while still growing. They endorse unprofessional behavior at times as long as those individuals are hitting numbers. They build a culture of work hard, play hard. The same mentality is going to limit their high end growth potential in the industry.

Stay connected to day to day sales activity and don't focus on the bottom line. Grow yourself by doing and leading, not just managing.

Long Distance Micro Management with No Direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

The place had amazing benefits.

Cons

Extreme micro-management. No communication from management of how they expected the job to be done, just how it wasn't done right. No consistency across departments (some departments would come in at 9:30 and leave at 4:00, while others were expected to be in the office from 8:00 until 6:00). No positive feedback, only negative.

I would make sure that all management is on the same page when it came to the employee experience. I would also encourage a little positive feedback from time to time. It's nice to be told when you're doing a job right, and not how horrible you're doing.

Wear blinders if you work here, so you don't know your underpaid.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Decent place to learn about techology sales, but it's a 12 to 18 month job at most. Sales people used to have a good reputation, but there's a lot of turnover.

Cons

Company has a lot of debt, and makes poor decisions or necessary decisions to keep it a float. They acquired companies to foster growth, and it's not panned out right. Expectations and growth rates that management has for it's reps are too aggressive, and most importantly compensation is low. Especially comparing it to some of their competitors.

Pay the employees fairly and people may stay longer than 1 to 2 years. There are more talented options for leaders with good management skills / prospects besides those with a background at Xerox.

Fun place to start a career

Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

The people and the training are great. For people that work hard and do their jobs well there are many opportunities for advancement. The work is easy but the pay is good and if you can sell the pay is great.

Cons

Their yearend is at the end Dec 31st so you have to work through the holidays.

Compared to my previous employer the management at Softchoice is great and realy seems to care. I think there could be improvement in communication around operational issues and companywide changes.

Great and fun place to work and start your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

great training - fun office - bring your dog to work

Cons

management could be better - younf company and young managers - growing pains

provide your managers with better management training

Great place to work

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

People & Perks are great

Cons

Sometimes felt a little too micromanaged

The leadership there was, for the most part, really good

Great place to start, but best to move on

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

-fun hip environment
    -mostly down to earth people
    -lots to learn

Cons

-compensation is severly lacking, far below average
    -inexperienced managers
    -loss of identity, people were creative and driven but have been replaced with yes men/corporate drones

Clean house at the top level, promote based on experience, pay a respectable wage.

Softchoice used to be something great... (pay was always low though)

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Softchoice treats their employees extremely well. It was my first job out of college like most, and you don't realize how great it is until you move on to different companies.

Cons

I wanted to work in marketing, and the only positions available at my office were all sales based.

Launch and Rally were always very motivating and I wish other companies took as much pride in their employees as Softchoice does.

Softchoice Photos

Cool meeting rooms with lots of tech
Tie-Jacket - one of our top awards
A canine member of the team

+ Add Photo