Softchoice Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.9

Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald
David MacDonald

Pros
  • They let you bring your dog into work (in 16 reviews)

• The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others (in 14 reviews)

• poor ethics amongst senior leadership team (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to get your feet wet in technology sales.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

It's a great place to get your feet wet in the Technology world. A job here can open doors to great companies like Microsoft, IBM, Symantec etc...

Cons

It's a churn and burn operation. High attrition rate which is to be expected at any entry level sales organization.

It's tough to say. They run a pretty tight ship but it's definitely sink or swim if you're working in a sales capacity. The model seems to be working pretty well for them. As a sales rep there is very limited opportunity for advancement. Figure out a way to retain your employees.

It could be worse

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Good place to gain entry to the IT industry without being technical.

Cons

Compensation is lacking and the calculation of your commission is vague and it's accuracy is questionable.

Inside Sales Account Managers are treated with little respect. The determination of your plan is shrouded in mystery which leads to employee dissatisfaction and speculation of wrongdoing by upper management. Bringing a dog to work is great but you still have to have the money to pay your landlord when you get home.

Great place to start a career, but you will have to move on to make $$$

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Softchoice did provide solid training for new employees. In addition, I greatly enjoyed my fellow co-workers. I found them to be smart, passionate, and focused on developing and evloving thier careers. In addition, Softchoice has a casual workplace with many social opportunities.

Cons

Softchoice hires great people and trains them well but fails to provide opportunities for advancement. This is a big problem, and leads to significant issues are around morale. In addition, Senior management has a small group of people who consistently get the propmotions and raises. This is extremely frustrating as many people are stymied in a effort move up within the organization. Senior management has a short term view which creates a constant rollercoaster of praise and scorn.

Softchoice senior management should really focus on retaining the many talented people who are looking for work outside the company. The three areas that senior management needs to focus on include:

1. Compensation
    2. Culture
    3. Focus on Senior sales leadership adding value in the people coaching and development process

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hit it then quit it

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Great place to start but beyone a year it's a bad career move to stay. Come for the training and leave before you're taken advantage of...and remember, a promotion is normally more responsibility for more pay, not more responsibility for less money.

Cons

bad pay. terrible middle management (I can only speak for my experienc with one manager). Major disconnect between remote offices and central office. Telesales is seen as expendable and our value is either not recognized or ignored. Also, be sure to check you're comp pay...I know I'm not the only one that has been short payed for a significant amount of money.

Better lines of communication down through the company...and back up

Softchoice is fun but still going through growing pains!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Great people in a great office. Lot of little perks; free food, gifts,bring your dog to work and other spiffs. Not micromanaged a lot of autonomy, get to run your own business. Relaxed work environment allows for some good times. Very accommodating to vacation and personal time off. Limited rules on dress and attire.

Cons

Limited growth potential. Poor management from a support role. Infrastructure not in place to grow as fast as they would want. High turnover. Low salary compared to competitors and other jobs in the same field. Keep acquiring companies with out proper resources. Goals increase faster than industry standards. 401k not very good.

Increase salary, give more support, and change the structure of roles.

Fun place to start out after college

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Softchoice, when I was there, was a fun, young company with great learning potential in technology and sales. They hire young managers and move inside sales to outside sales or to inside sales managers regularly. There is opportunity to negotiate large orders and travel to headquarters for annual meetings and training events. They really strive to be the best and make it a fun place to work. Their motto is work hard play hard.

Cons

There are high expectations to meet your sales quota and understand (i.e. be able to quote) a wide variety of products. You are constantly monitored through various statistics that the wily are able to manipulate to make themselves seem more productive than they are in reality. The managers are young and say what they think they are supposed to say than to truly connect with their employees. There is a high turnover because inside sales is an entry level position, and for those who make it to the next level, there is a high standard and they have no problem letting you go if you can't meet the numbers. They strive for excellent customer service and if you can't meet those standards you'll be let go as well.

Hire experienced managers instead of the oldest person on the team.

Come learn channel sales and marketing from one of the best, then evaluate your options which will be many.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

The company looks to each employee to figure out how to make an impact on the bottom line, which is actually quite possible [as an individual contributor]. This can be empowering, and a key factor in learning about the larger, business as a whole.

Cons

Since everyone has quite a bit on their plate, it can be at times difficult integrating new people, especially when they do not "get it" out of the gate. This is NOT a place for someone who can't figure things out on their own from time to time (or more often..).

For the most part; kudos. Softchoice's pay is competitive, but a disproportionate dollar amount comes in bonuses and commission, and very difficult metrics make achieving these bonuses very difficult, which leads to the impression that pay is quite below industry standard. So while the company works extremely hard to be a great place to work for its employees, the aforementioned compensation issue is constantly the single contributing factor that leads to dissatisfaction.

Not technical, but want to get into the IT industry? Come use Softchoice as a stepping stone like everyone else!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

The people here are wonderful - intelligent, hard-working and fun. It's a rather young crowd - you'd be considered "old" if you're in your thirties. It's a great place to learn about channel sales and get exposure to many different vendors. If you lack technical background but want to get your foot in the door in the IT world, this is the place. Most employees use Softchoice as a stepping stone in order to gain enough experience to go elsewhere in the techonolgy sector. Pay is good if you're hitting your plan. On the flipside, if you're not hitting your plan I hope you enjoy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner and not saving for any sort of future!

Cons

It's strange to me that Softchoice would rather not increase base salaries of tenured sales reps in leiu of just hiring new grads out of college. Because of this, most employees are gone at their 2-year mark because they can make much more with another employer. Here's what happens to good sales reps - the first year you're with Softchoice, you make a good deal of money. The next year, they raise your plan by roughly 40% (but barely increase your base). So, you have to work twice as hard to hit your numbers and you ultimately end up making less. This is why everyone jumps ship after their second year.

You preach that "we're in it for the growth" but it seems like 75% of the company leaves because growth opportunies aren't there at the end of the second year. Even the best sales reps hit a wall due to grossly inflated plans. At this point, they take stock and utilize all the contacts they've made to get a better paying job. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to give good reps a raise than to tell them "good-luck" and simply retrain fresh 22-year olds?

Solid place to build early job experience

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

Good place to build up experience,

Cons

Compensation is low, but balnced with experience of work force probably not out of band

build up pate for high performers that is more substantial than "Morpheus"

Great place to succeed & grow - for the right type of person

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

• We work hard and we play hard. My colleagues at work are my friends in life
    • This is a great place to grow a career in tech - for the right kind of person
    • We use the latest and greatest technology to do our work - for a geek like me, this is awesome
    • Volunteering and helping people is baked into the culture of the company

Cons

• Depending on the department, you may wear (too) many hats at once. There are a lot of folks who are spread too thin, which means they don't always have the time to get great at a few things
    • If you're not a natural learner, you're going to struggle to be successful - especially in sales
    • This is not a good place for people who want to punch in and punch out- expect to be challenged, and to perform
    • Depending on your role, it may be tough to advance as quickly as you'd like - this is particularly true for non-sales, niche roles in the organization

• The old-school Softchoice mantra of getting things done "cheap and cheerful" needs to be retired - we're too big for that now
    • Spend more $$ in training to keep high-performers engaged
    • Greater focus on a few key strategic priorities. This will give us the opportunity to get great at a few things - instead of trying to be good at everything

Worked for Softchoice? Contribute to the Community!