Softchoice Reviews in United States

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

Softchoice President, CEO, and Director David MacDonald
David MacDonald

Pros
  • They let you bring your dog into work (in 16 reviews)

• The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems good for some roles and bad for others (in 14 reviews)

• poor ethics amongst senior leadership team (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly people but senior leadership is clueless

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Great people and safe environment.

Cons

Lack of direction. Senior leadership can't decide whether to be full service or be a CDW. Can't keep employees once they get experience. Lots of talk about being a professional services company but no commitment to actually becoming one. The inability to keep senior sales people has locked out strategic opportunity to the company keeping it in the realm of transactional business. Sorely in need of a change at the C level.

The board needs to clean house at the top. New leadership.

Not enough external influence

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great for first or second job. Most of the people are great to work with. Dogs in the office is a plus.

Cons

Senior management/ Directors have all been at SC for years and are stuck in their ways. The longer people are there, the clickier they seem to be. The company says their employees are important but their actions say otherwise. Pay is well below market average for all positions under the director level. The company hasn't hit plan for 2 years after going private. This year they decided not to follow through on merit increases after announcing that this is the first year sales would be eligible for an increase. They are however, ahead of schedule for paying off debt which sends a horrible message to the employees. They are trying to be a services partner but has trouble delivering because they don't know what they're doing and the processes are flawed. The sales model between inside and outside sales is flawed where in most outside sales offices they have less industry experience than their counterpart on the inside who does all the work and makes no money. Senior management asks for more dials but doesn't understand the workload so you're faced with sacrificing customer experience so you can hit a check mark stat to make it look like you're doing your job.

invest in your people who are the reason for any success you have. Talk is cheap, so take the annual employee feedback and make changes instead of collecting the feedback and saying things will change without follow through. Get rid of the micro managers and start instilling trust and empowerment for employees.

A great place to start a career, with great people but a lack of corporate vision.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Softchoice full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Dogs at work. Youthful, fun environment for new sales reps. Many hardworking, kind-hearted, and well-intentioned people. Honestly, a lot of great people. The ability to sell nearly anything in the IT space. Softchoice also does some great things in terms of charity work with Softchoice Cares. It's a great part of the company. Very nice insurance.

I frequently say Softchoice is a great place to start a career because new hires learn a lot and are exposed to many parts of the industry. They have the opportunity to move into many areas of the business or go elsewhere with a great starting background.

Cons

All the great people in the world can't replace the lack of a cohesive strategy. Softchoice doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up, and in the meantime, it's difficult for sales reps to deliver a value proposition. That makes it hard to sell. Compounding problems, the vast majority of reps have one of the worst compensation plans in the industry. This leads to high turnover among sales, which leads to turnover among presales and engineering, which ultimately leads to client turnover, (and less importantly, middle management turnover.) Senior management will put all the blame on reps and lower level managers for failure to execute, when in reality the sales reps' hands are tied due to lack of resources.

I mentioned earlier that junior reps can move elsewhere in the business. You'd think that they would be motivated to stay and become senior reps, but due to the reasons above, they aren't.

Pay your reps at a rate commensurate with the industry, or go elsewhere. "The machine" that you've built doesn't work anymore, and a lot of customers demand more. Successful sales reps ultimately are the foundation of your firm, and when a CEO deep down believes in capping rep pay, he's not going to attract the best. The best salespeople will go elsewhere, as will the architects, engineers and associated talent that help those reps succeed in the first place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career.

I have been working at Softchoice full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The environment is great from the perspective that you get to bring dogs, have a game room, once a month beer cart, etc. Softchoice is a company filled with good (smart) people, it provides you with a great opportunity to learn from your peers and share successes.

Cons

Plain and simple, the pay sucks. Its a great place to learn but its extremely hard to get a pay increase even if they do promote you. Softchoice is constantly changing, they just cant seem to figure out what works which is unfortunate because they really do have a lot of potential.

Decide on a company strategy and stick to it for more than a year. It really hurts morale when employee's aren't clear on what they are working towards.

Great culture, opportunities, and environment

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

The culture is fantastic; from the first day I started working at Softchoice, I was immediately welcomed by everyone, even the Directors and VP's. They gave the sense of a "home sweet home" feel when it came to being at work. Everyone works hard, and most of everybody is very dedicated to actually make a difference in the company. We take an occasional, but quick recess to the break room to play ping pong or just to sit and talk to regroup or to get out of work mode for a few minutes. Some Softchoice buildings have a dog friendly atmosphere, which brings a comfortable feeling knowing that a puppy is waiting for your hand to pet them. Whenever someone needs guidance, the managers/directors/VP's are there to assist you with any questions or just to give insight through experience to help further your career and to be successful.

Softchoice has invested a gargantuan amount of time and money for my career. They have set a path for me to accelerate my knowledge within the field given to me and I am very grateful to have Softchoice lead my career down the right path.

Cons

Maybe some communication issues, but that has only happened a couple of times. People get busy and aren't able to respond quickly...understandable.

Softchoice has been an incredible foundation for a long career in technology

I have been working at Softchoice

Pros

Great people, great work/life balance, great products and support

Cons

Lower compensation than competitors, major shift in business over the last 5 years has been bumpy

Keep pursuing groundbreaking technologies to support

Semi-Great Leadership, Great Vision, NO Execution

I have been working at Softchoice full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture is AMAZING
    Play Hard and Work Harder!

Cons

No clear direction, management says on thing, and you are tasked with another. Focused on one "new thing" to sell each year and other business segments fall to the waste side.

Time to stop promoting people from within, poison is deadly. We need fresh thinkers, real world people who can bring in real world solutions.

Great culture, evolving organization

Current Employee - Network Engineer (Delivery)  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer (Delivery) in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will be challenged at Softchoice. As long as you're a team player, your career here will continually have an upward trend. The environment is constantly changing, because as an organization, if something we try doesn't work, we adapt. It's definitely something I appreciate. An example of this would be the evolution from a product-only company to a full fledged services/solutions organization. Having been here for four years, the transition has been very evident. We still have a long way to go as a company, but I'm excited about what I've seen so far, and I love being on the ground floor of this transition.

Cons

Sometimes all the groups that exist to support sales/services seem to get in the way of each other. Communication between groups could be better. Not all engineers that have been at Softchoice are team players. Some are even cowboys, and want to do their own thing. That really detracts from moving the company forward on the services front, and can be really obnoxious for the rest of us trying to evolve our business.

Build clearer lines of communication between groups.

Great place to work for sales/marketing

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great atmosphere and totally geared to support career advancement. Lots of perks and benefits. Perfect place to start career straight out of college/Uni.

Cons

Not enough money compared to other companies doing the same thing. Everything is geared to push people up (or out), so if you find the right job/level you are happy with you're out of luck because management will not respect you.

Pay more

Boiler Room with a lot of perks for those in the 'loop', Outrageous quotas for everyone else.

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

...can't seem to think of any

Cons

Where do I begin...
    Margin is all they care about.
    Misleading customers is A O K with them.
    Double your quote when you actually hit the crazy quota they have given you.
    Sell services, sell service, sell services, then mislead customers into believing they actually got what they paid for.
    Scare customers into buying from us...
    Did I mention that margin is all they care about?
    Let's play who is my manager today?
    Did you say we can actually sell that or just pretend we can sell that?
    What, we are a services company, that's funny you could have fooled me.

Bankrupt the company, and go back telling used cars.

Worked for Softchoice? Contribute to the Community!