Softscape

Be The First To
Add Photos

Softscape Chief Executive Officer of SumTotal Systems John Borgerding

John Borgerding

Fast Pace and requires to be a quick learner

Wayland, MA

ProsAbility to do a lot of things

Consneed to be a self starter and be able to figure things out on your own

Advice to Senior Managementset up training structure

hopefully it's better now

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe team I worked with was smart and collaborative.

ConsUpper management didn't value employees at all and morale was extremely low. Culture was somewhat oppressive. Product was proprietary but training was a joke. No real opportunity for advancement. Turnover extremely high.

Good Job for the Economy

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros- Good salary for my grade
    - Boss was good to work with, provided Good environment
    - Allowed to work on many different kinds of projects

Cons- Privately owned, which came with some inside baseball
    - Not good at sharing information that might have been useful
    - Facilities were not that nice, made it kind of hard to work sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff more and reach out more to discuss and collaborate on major decisions. The better bought in the employees, the greater the chances of success.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful Place to work

Wayland, MA

ProsThis company totally treats their employees horribly. The building itself is not managed well, the owners only care about the money that ends up in their pockets. They have recently just been bought over and I hope things turn out right for the people left there. In all fairness all the employees were great and knowledge able but upper management did not manage the company well at all

Consbuilding needs extreme care. Even office supplies were limited to old and used. Building probably has mold in it. Management only cared about money. They keep on fur-lowing people instead of lay off

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the company and not the owners pockets. Looking out for the people your employees should be what a corporate company does. Especially one that is looking into HR talent.

It's a shame...

Wayland, MA

ProsThe product. There is a massive opportunity in the product that is being squandered by poor management. There are few competitive products that have the breadth and depth that Softscape has hands down.

ConsThe company is not well managed. It is run like a family business instead of a legitimate software company. Being a family business is not always a bad thing, but when you compound that with a lack of ethics and poor employment practices and you have a terrible work environment. The product is not marketed AT ALL and there is no brand to speak of. This is all by design so that the 'founders' can maintain control. It is like they are trying to keep a child from growing up.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen a nice shoe company in Puerto Rico, enjoy the weather and let someone else run your company. You'd make MUCH more money that way.

Softscape is missing the mark

ProsGood Product. Great People who are dedicated to the product success

Cons1. ruthless management style. They find any reason to terminate someone. Abuse the employees with "unspoken" expectations of working extremely long days. No pay raises.
    2, Poor money management.- they have cut pay "temporarily" but never paid any of those employees back. They furloughed 20-25% of the company. Can't afford to pay them. Told that they may be called back but they were told that "It hasn't happened so to look for a job"
    3. Ingore product quality. QA team is understaffed and overworked. They have furloughed all the QA Engineers. No one to test the product.
    4. Signifigantly understaffed. A consultant was hired to come in and look for ways to improve production. They were told to hire more staff. They fired the consultant.
    5. Employee morale continues to worsen. We all worry that we will not have a job. Having a junk food party does not improve morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart seeing the Talent that you have! Stop abusing everyone. We all work hard and our efforts are treated with disregard.

Great Opportunity, Great Global Company

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Wayland, MA

ProsGreat opportunity to support global initiatives and work with smart people.

ConsThere are no cons. I enjoy being part of the Softscape team.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

The positive team environment at Softscape helps to promote the company as a market leader in the Human Talent industry.

Wayland, MA

ProsEveryone is encouraged to be a thought leader and the positive team environment fuels the company's growth. There is a lot of creative energy at Softscape and it is a great place to work.

ConsThe benefit plan could be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement communicates to the employees on a consistent basis.

PR Campaign to cleanse poor image is lame. A family run business that spends more on lawyers/legal issues than sales.

Wayland, MA

ProsThe new sales VP is awesome and credible.

ConsCommission payments are a battle with finance. The company has worse than typical contributions for benefits. The culture is "we pay you ok, so we will treat you the way we want." Employee turnover is the highest I have ever experienced. Ask what happened to the person in your role prior to you. And how long they lasted in the role. HR and marketing forces people to make positive posts on sites like this and linked-in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running this place like a second tier family business. Hire a real CEO who has real experience in the role. Dilute all of the family influences -- the family is over its head. And move to a real office park or spend some money on the ancient building we're in -- paint some walls, clean some windows, replace the broken window blinds, repave the crappy parking lot -- make the place a place we want to show up to work everyday, not some North Korean bunker.

It's a Great Place to Work!

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsAll employee voices are heard. Softscape has a culture of trust. There is a feeling here of being part of a team. And that your individual contribution makes a difference.

ConsIf you do not like a fast pace and exciting company to work at then you should not consider working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be this is a special place, you can trust the executive management to make good decisions. So don't change it!!

Worked for Softscape? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Softscape reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Softscape CEO John Borgerding. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Softscape employees.