Software AG Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014

Software AG CEO Karl-Heinz Streibich
Karl-Heinz Streibich

Pros
  • There is a good work-life balance, the pay is good, and the environment is not overly stressful (in 13 reviews)

• Interesting work as BPM consultant and really good products to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Old school solutions, falling behind the competition (in 5 reviews)

• No training, no career development (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad

I have been working at Software AG

Pros

My immediate management team was great and the benefits were fabulous, but SAG isn't quite sure what it is yet, so that made things "interesting"

Cons

Constant change from Germany that did not fit with US culture, Too much work and too little staff.

Leaders are not strong, strategy is continually altered, reporting is arduous with numerous fire drills

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Software AG full-time for more than a year

Pros

The platforms are awesome and are considered leaders by the analysts.

Cons

Everything else
    In 2013, 72% of the sales team left, management does not understand how to sell enterprise software, and believes the value of a solid customer relationship is pointless. I could provide additional details, but one of my colleagues from NY did an excellent job explaining the numerous challenges in one of the responses below.

Get rid of the N.A. CEO and all of his underlings in the sales organization.

Intern

I worked at Software AG

Pros

Great experience and pay. Very efficient Macro Managing structure. Learned a lot of valuable

Cons

Commute and overkill on solution selling

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management by Spreadsheet

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Software AG full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to learn how to strongarm your best customers, and shake them down for more money, this place is for you!

Cons

Sales is managed by a spreadsheet. No discussion of what the client needs/ wants. A simple modification to a contract takes 6 weeks, throwing your deal out of the quarter. Bonus plans are unattainable.

Loved the people I worked with

Former Employee - Technical Writer
    Former Employee - Technical Writer

I worked at Software AG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I can't say enough good things about my direct managers, co-writers, and the developers I worked with while at Software AG. There is a good work-life balance, the pay is good, and the environment is not overly stressful. Sure, priorities changed sometimes, but that happens everywhere. I had fantastic growth opportunities, too, and the potential for working your way up is there.

Cons

The company has been acquiring other companies in their quest to be "the best", which leaves employees wondering where priorities lie. Staff in the U.S. is being replaced with overseas staff.

Put greater emphasis on talent and loyalty and less on dollars/euros.

Work pressure is too high

I worked at Software AG

Pros

Salary is comparable...when compared to the similar job functions in other companies.

Cons

As I have said before work pressure is too high...long hours and extremely tight dead lines.

Solid place to work depending on where you land

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Software AG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work life balance
    Good people
    I think they really value software development and care about putting together a good SDLC process

Cons

Huge company - you end up being very far away from folks who make decisions -but it's like that for front line workers at any large company.

Challenges co-ordinating development efforts on their massive software stack.

Account Manager

I have been working at Software AG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not much work, decent pay and very flexible work from options.

Cons

Cons? Everything else. The company is ideally suited for lifers who have no intention of doing anything innovative and simply collect a paycheck. Very German centric (naturally) and for people used to American companies, this place sucks to work at. Too much process, too little innovation except meaninglessly acquiring companies which are not very well integrated together. Usually the founders of those companies end up leaving when they realize this is a 1970s company. Product portfolio is far too complex, sales force can't figure out how to sell it and US sales reps are leaving in droves. Zero brand recognition in the US.

While pay and benefits are decent, no stock awards. There is no skin in the game for the average employee.

First have a cohesive vision. Just because your powerpoint slides say "cloud, mobile, social and big data" does not make your company suddenly cool. Your so far behind the competition, please go ahead and change the stupid "get there faster" tagline. And better yet, fire yourself because the company is a disaster.

I have been working at Software AG

Pros

Short commute. Convenient location. Nice people. Somewhat flexible work schedule.

Cons

Bully bosses with high team turnover, low team morale control business to the company's detriment. No training, no career development. Hostile work environment.

Remove ineffective detrimental directors/managers who hoard information, have a history of not being able to effectively lead or communicate. Great people leave a good company due to poor mgmt.

Great people, pity about HQ.

Current Employee - Director, Professional Services  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Director, Professional Services in Reston, VA

I have been working at Software AG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loved the people, they work hard and care about the individuals.

Cons

The German HQ controls everything tightly giving very little autonomy to the US office. It's a pity because the cultures are different and it hold the US back.

Worked for Software AG? Contribute to the Community!