Software Advice Reviews

Reset
3.8
Don Fornes

1. Fantastic Company

I have been working at Software Advice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast growing company with healthy business - Room to craft your own position and advance - Excellent, intelligent and fun coworkers - Much better work/life balance and hour flexibility (policies have changed in the last few months) - Strong compensation and benefits packages - Epic office perks like massages, stocked kitchen, smoothies, food trucks, catered lunches, social events - Access to Gartner network for resources and advancement opportunities - Individual contributions and achievements are recognized and rewarded

Cons

- Certain parts of the office get limited sun and fluorescent lights are harsh - Software isn't the "sexiest" of industries

Advice to Management

- Look into replacing lights with full-spectrum bulbs - Cross-departmental communication could still be improved

2. Great way to start in tech marketing...but that's it

Current Employee - Software Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Software Advice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company takes great care of us. All team managers have been in our shoes. The benefits are great and the peers are great.

Cons

There is no career path established for entry level sales employees. They ask for a two year commitment, because they know this. Rapid growth has caused the company to lose sight of it's culture and appreciation for their tenured employees. I don't regret this job, because I've enriched my skills in the industry. However, it comes with an inevitable mental expiration date

Advice to Management

Create a way for employees in entry level sales to excel and grow within the company. With a name like Gartner on your side, you'd think there would be a way to grow

3. Great people, long hours, narrow focus

Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I worked at Software Advice (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome, very smart people with diverse professional backgrounds (in the marketing department, at least...the sales side is a different beast entirely). Unique, deep (but narrow) experience around SEO-centric content marketing. Potential exposure to a unique range of verticals and IT markets + Gartner resources. Kitchen stocked with basic breakfast supplies, coffee and snacks.

Cons

Poor work-life balance (with standard 10-hour workdays), although I have heard this has gotten a little more flexible. Wildly shifting content strategy that can have a huge, unpredictable impact on job responsibilities and day-to-day work. Many managers are caring and smart, but relatively inexperienced, which has created challenges in the past. Very narrow strategic focus (i.e., not a diverse range of B2B tactics, channels etc.).

Advice to Management

Continue changing the culture to center around a standard 8-hour workday with longer hours for top performers and workers who struggle to meet their goals etc. Continue developing and investing in existing managers while balancing external experienced hires to balance the lack of middle-management experience vs. the need for internal promotion opportunities and in-house experience.

5. Software Analyst

I have been working at Software Advice full-time

Pros

-Quick environment -Free food -High level knowledge of a lot of software -Sufficient training to make money -You will make what they say you make -The people who work there become life long friends.

Cons

-Long Hours -No career growth -Only developing the skill of qualifying leads, not closing deals.

Advice to Management

-Figure out how to take care of your high performers and create some career growth. -Be more upfront with your employees about how you feel towards them.

6. Media Relations Specialist

Current Employee - Media Relations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Media Relations Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Software Advice full-time

Pros

Great company culture, bright colleagues, department employes industry best practices for market research, professional development opportunities abound (workshops, book club). Perks- all the hummus you can handle, workplace is dog friendly, happy hours, free massage fridays once a month, gym right next door for lunchtime yoga, can easily bike to work if you live in central ATX, the occasional free smoothie tuesdays, generous employer match for charitable donations...

Cons

Open floorplan can sometimes lead to distraction, stare at computer most of the day (typical of most office jobs, though).

Advice to Management

Continue emphasis on quality over quantity for marketing practices and strategy

Fantastic coworkers, great culture

I have been working at Software Advice full-time

Pros

Great perks like a fully stocked kitchen, massage Friday and tons of vacation time. As the other reviewers have said, my coworkers are what makes this place really awesome. We get along, have fun and just genuinely enjoy each other. It's really refreshing to be around so many really smart people. The pay is also better than anywhere else I've worked. I was glad to find that it still feels like a "small company," even after the Gartner acquisition. The work can definitely get a little intense at times, but management usually does a good job listening. The hours were really, really unbearable. Like 10 hours. But recently they've been more flexible.

Cons

There's a lot of changes going on in the marketing department. This makes it a little stressful sometimes because we're chasing a moving target. Managers generally do a good job of communicating things, but there have been times where different managers say different things. That said, it's nice having new stuff to work on. It helps break up the day.

Advice to Management

It was good to finally see someone else promoted. Keep it up.

Perfect for those just starting out; terrible for anyone else

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Software Advice full-time

Pros

Location (though I sort of disagree, it's a big selling point), stocked kitchen, helpful/attentive HR, fantastic group of people to work with, the benefits The people you'll work with are the biggest selling point here. They are a really hard working, intelligent, and diverse group of people who aren't afraid to let lose at happy hours. :) Speaking of happy hours, there are plenty to cope with all of those cons below.

Cons

The 50 hour work week, the micromanaging, "clock in/clock out" type of atmosphere, lack of clear advancement opportunities, lack of trust and communication from managers to staff and between departments The biggest downside to me was the lack of trust. As has been mentioned in numerous reviews now, the marketing department exists to build links and push out reports no one reads. As basic as that sounds, they will dictate how you do every step of the process. It's frustrating and annoying because, last I checked, we are intelligent adults who deserve to be treated as such. There could be a little (a lot) more freedom given to let individuals complete the jobs their way. And those hours - I won't beat a dead horse with this, but they are terrible. Also, if you work in marketing, prepare to have sales "yell" and get extremely frustrated with you over things you don't even have say over.

Advice to Management

I know you're being more open and listening to workers, but try to implement some of the suggestions. We're adults; we should be treated with respect until we give cause to lose it.

Mixed Feelings

Pros

Since the company was acquired by Gartner, there are now more opportunities for advancement than there were a year ago. The benefits have also improved, as well as more competitive salaries. Software Advice has a rigorous interviewing process, and (for the most part) hires smart, driven people who fit in well with the company culture. It’s easy to make friends here and enjoy the people you work with. There has a been a lot of growth in the company over the past couple of years, ensuring job security. While you are recognized and rewarded if you are one of the top performers in any department, those rewards do not necessarily make up for the hours. The salaries and bonuses are competitive, however they would only be considered great for those who work on some kind of commission (the advisors). Everyone else is salaried, and a 10+ hour work day is not reflected in the salaries of those who are not in sales. There is an open door policy. If you have concerns, you can always bring them to your manager, but don’t expect any changes to happen. They are set in their ways of how the company should run. They are very transparent about the long work day during the interview process, which weeds out a lot of people they would label as not being a hard worker, but this does not make it okay. While it is a successful business model, they have not adjusted it to accommodate the growth of the company and the new roles that have been created in the company.

Cons

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it’s the 10 hour work day. They will sell you on it during the interview process, saying that you’ll be so busy that the day will just fly by and you won’t even notice. True, you don’t notice while you are at work, but you do notice it when, by the time you get home from work, you only have time to make/eat dinner and spend MAYBE one hour relaxing or with your family before going to bed (unless you had to run an errand after work, then forget about any time to unwind). If you count the time it takes to commute to work (30 minutes to and from on average), you are realistically looking at an 11 hour work day. This alone is why a large number of current employees are actively looking for other jobs. Management holds revenue above all else. Next thing you know, they’ll be asking for employees to work on Saturdays. Advice to readers of this review: note that most of the pros of this company have to do with food, massages, and happy hours. All of these exist, yes, but they are simply distractions to try to make employees forget that they are working 50 hours every single week when their job could be done in 40-45.

Advice to Management

The company has grown significantly and cannot revolve solely around the advisors, who are the ONLY reason there is a 10 hour work day. There is no other position in the company whose work cannot be done in a normal 8-5 work day. Even the advisors could still do their job and make tons of money for themselves and the company by losing one hour in the work day. Show that you care more about your employees’ well-being than the bottom line. Simply cutting one hour from the work day will allow employees more balance in their work/personal life. The fact that this change has not even been considered by executive management is the reason I do not approve of the CEO.

Good place to start your career, not to advance it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Software Advice full-time

Pros

Like the other reviewers said, the benefits/perks are excellent...good pay, great benefits & above average vacation time. The parking is free and you can always find a spot, which is rare for a downtown location. The people who work here are what make it possible to get through the day. This company does a good job hiring smart and easy going people and I look forward to seeing them everyday. You can learn a lot about SEO and link building very fast because link building is what you will do all day.

Cons

Micromanagement, micromanagement, micromanagement. This company does a good job finding talented people, but it doesn't know how to manage them or use their unique skills to improve things. The managers don't trust employees to think for themselves so they set up ridiculous processes and rules to follow but still expect you to be innovative and creative. This also applies to sending emails to sources, not just articles that get published on the web site. Since the managers don't know how to lead they micromanage. The answer to broken processes is more process. When you turn in a pitch, article or speak up with an idea, you'll never be told "good job". The status quo is to find any way to shoot down your work and tell you why it's a bad idea. Nevermind the fact that everything you do is just for link building and nobody reads it anyway. The unrealistic expectations, long hours, outdated marketing practices and poor management make what could be a good place to work a miserable place to be. The turnover is high and many are looking for new jobs.

Advice to Management

The marketing department is falling apart. It's time to bring in directors and managers who know what they're doing to fix it.

Great company that cares a lot about its employees

Current Employee - Advisor
    Current Employee - Advisor

I have been working at Software Advice full-time

Pros

- The people. Co-workers are generally outgoing, smart, and driven. It's fulfilling to come to work with other people who are motivated and take pride in their work. It is a very healthy, friendly, cohesive sales team. - The culture. The office is open and inviting. Everyone works together and there is no cutthroat competition. They keep it fun and focused at the same time. You will work hard but the environment thrives off hard work and success. - The kitchen. It's fully stocked. I get a free breakfast and lunch whenever I need it. - They care. I have received lots of feedback from my manager and he genuinely cares about me. They also have a book club where we talk about business books and get a free lunch. They want you to keep learning and grow. They also reward top performers heavily. - The opportunity. I have moved up a lot since joining the company. The acquisition by Gartner appears to have opened a lot of doors for me.

Cons

There really isn't much to complain about. This place treats me way better than other employers I've had. I could always use more personal development/training.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing as you get bigger. Resist the temptation to let the culture slide. Keep your managers and everyone else engaged and excited about our success. Keep the open door policy.

RSS Feed </> Embed