Software Engineering Institute

Add Photos

Paul Nielsen

Great Place to Work

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsExcellent people with whom to work. Excellent emphasis on quality products. Great place to work if you're interested in fixing big problems.

ConsToo exposed to one large, very dysfunctional government agency. Need a strategic vision in how to move beyond CMMI into cross-functional problems facing IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to better leverage the organization's strengths by thinking more strategically, and less project-by-project. Need better cross-portfolio interaction between cyber and non-cyber practitioners.

Great place, great benefits, good pay

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosgreat benefits, you get your own office even as a new hire. very many talented people, great work life balance, training

Constoo many divisions, not enough interaction, really not that many cons, location is pittsburgh but this can also be a pro

Decent place to start your career or to end your career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSchedule Flexibility, Tuition Reimbursement, Wonderful Co-workers

ConsToo many re-organizations, Nepotism, Lack of diversity, Lack of benefits in the DC office. No transportation benefits in the DC office.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan the reorganization before announcing it. Layoff people whom are not contributing instead of re-assigning them to a different department.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Company to work for with a deserving reputation!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThis company has an excellent leadership team that knows what they are doing. The Interview process was smooth but long but the people were so friendly and team oriented. The upper level executive come from a highly educated and diverse background. One of the biggest things that helped make my decision for employment was the affiliation with Carnegie Mellon University and the benefits that come with it.

ConsI don't really have a downside to describe this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the excellent work. Don't change something if it isn't broken.

I worked at CERT/CC in the NSS group for the software engineering institute

Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsSEI is operated under CMU, and so has incredible benefits.

ConsRe-org day 1. The person I had interviewed with 3 months prior, and was looking forward to working with was replaced by someone who strongly disliked the technology I was hired to work with. This all happened shortly after noon on my first day.

Interesting job, but the environment is over-political and I rarely saw any reward for talent. In one case I even saw a promotion to vulnerability analyst from a monitor who had absolutely no knowledge in her new field, yet was well liked.

Stories of people who have come to work here on the first day, and do not return after lunch - started to make sense my first week.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems you have any real talent in your organization at CERT. You should consider hiring talented people for a change, and promoting them.

Good

Information Security Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThere are strong benefits to being associated with a college campus (CMU) and the work/life balance is generally respected. Good mix of research and operational support.

ConsThe research component of the institution sometimes trumps customer demands and requirements. PhDs are given too much weight and influence. Compensation, bonuses and promotions are at times entirely unclear (though compensation isn't bad).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about compensation, promotion and bonuses. Stop bringing in new work if you can't handle what we currently have.

Good mission, poor management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsCutting edge work. Good, honorable mission. Opportunities to learn and grow professionally.

ConsNo corporate strategy. Senior management does not solve problems which make it hard to perform work. Promotion process confused and does not follow documented processes. Say we had the best year ever financially and gave 1% raises. Very poor corporate communication to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your talent like they are your best asset. Enable them, not impede them.

Comfortable place for self-paced professionals.

Member of Operational Staff (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIf you are seeking freedom in professional growth, semi-relaxed environment, very stable place for building long term professional relationship, it place for you.

ConsOne of the downsides in SEI is that the pace of your professional life is extremely dependent on department you are in. Very often your work is not stimulating you to obtain hand-on technological experience or to explore a new technology. Everything will be depending strictly on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more attention to your employee’ s qualification and previous experience. You will be surprised what hidden pearls you have.

Great place to learn InfoSec and it's leaders, slow advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSEI/CERT has more clout than any other security organization. Working with people that see 5-10 years out where the industry is going. Opportunities for expanding knowledge and working with top people.

ConsManagement needs more soft skills and recognize employees when they accomplished their goals. Need more communication on direction and goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide transparency in company management. Be willing to recognize when good work has been accomplished. Provide more guidance in career management within.

Worked for Software Engineering Institute? Contribute to the Community!