Software Guidance & Assistance

Updated November 1, 2014
3.7

Software Guidance & Assistance President Dorothy Doughty
Dorothy Doughty

Friendly people and relaxed environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Software Guidance is one of the few companies I have known that are really willing to take a shot on people who are fresh out of college. I know a lot of my fellow graduates who are still looking for jobs or still working temp jobs, but SGA offered me a full-time position with benefits (fully covered medical plan, paid time off, 401k, and annual bonus) straight out of college. The employees are all great people and the environment is very relaxed and friendly. Group activities are encouraged, but not required. The company hosts events such as holiday parties, company picnics, wedding showers, and baby showers for employees. They even paid for all of us to be on a kickball team 2 years running (and we actually won the championship this year). The company is big enough to provide opportunities for growth, but small enough that every internal employee knows everyone else in the company.

Cons

If you aren't interested in a classic "corporate office" environment (office space, business dress-code, cubicles, water cooler, casual Fridays, etc.), then this probably isn't the place for you. You'll also need to be able to focus on your work while all the people around you are on their phones trying to recruit new candidates. If those things don't bother you, then you should be fine. There could be a little bit more communication between departments, but the company has been improving in that aspect due to recent changes in team/management structure.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Dec 8, 2014Hd of Recruiting, Social Media

It is terrific to hear that a new employee feels so positive about the work enviroment. We have and will continue to develop the training program to ensure success and to look for ways to develop ... More

Very Positive

I have been working at Software Guidance & Assistance part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great position to have while you're in school. Very flexible with hours and its a very positive atmosphere.

Cons

Not many cons, there is a lot of cold calling, which can get very dull.

Keep up the good work.

Dec 8, 2014Hd of Recruiting, Social Media

As we develop the part time program we will look at ways to add incentives and encourage professional development within this role. Thank you for the nice overall review.

Alignment, Experience, Relationships, Continual Training, Operational Efficiency, Tradition & Innovation = #1 Vendor

I have been working at Software Guidance & Assistance

Pros

I have worked in the staffing industry for over twenty years and love working with the great people at SGA. The company culture is fun and all of the staff members are very friendly and willing to help with any questions you may have. Their core client base includes Fortune 500 clients, Investment Banks, Brokerage Houses, Insurance, Hedge Funds, Retail, Energy and growing. Regular in-house training seminars, social expansion, and contests only add to the high energy of this firm. Also, unlike the other services I have worked with SGA has a database and network of over 3 million resumes and growing that only add to my current network base of twenty years giving me access to business development leads and talent socializing that I would not have had at other firms.

Cons

The early training model took too long to get people up to speed and our trainees feedback was in depth training is both a blessing and a curse. They felt the old training program was a bit confusing and unclear at times. SGA's new trainer has implemented a Boot Camp model & mentor program that is being well received by all.

Love all the new programs that have been implemented ... keep doing what you are doing!

Disregard the naysayers

Current Employee - Account Manager/IT Recruiter in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager/IT Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started working for this company's Raleigh office about 3 months ago and the negative reviews on this website nearly dissuaded me from accepting the job offer. Given that my experience during the interview process was completely opposite of the reviews, I chose to take a gamble on SGA. Here's my 2 cents as a new employee: If you've worked in the staffing industry, or any sales environment for that matter, you know that patience, perseverance and tenacity are precursors for any success, whatsoever. Recruiting for SGA isn't easy and if you're looking for a job where you can punch the clock and kick back, the company culture probably won't be for you. That being said, I have yet to experience a company where management invests so much time and effort into training it's new employees. I can honestly say I feel like a valued member of the team and more than simply a number as an SGA Recruiter. Every manager in the company has been in the business for years, is passionate about what they do and is champing at the bit to share their expertise with you. If you're willing to work hard, they're willing to work hard with you. I wanted to post a quick review to help other people who are considering a job with SGA to make an educated decision.

Cons

The in depth training is both a blessing and a patience-tester. You will be micromanaged at first and at this point in my career with SGA, I'm ready for more responsibility. That being said, I was told in the very first interview that this would be the scenario and asked if I was comfortable with that. Also, just to clarify...the base pay is $32,500/year. I'm young and new in my career so I don't mind.

Software Guidance and Assistance takes a genuine interest in their employee's success!

Current Employee - Account Manager/IT Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager/IT Recruiter in Houston, TX

Pros

They provide a comprehensive training program in New York at their headquarters that is beneficial not only for the seasoned veteran, but also for those new to the industry. Learning and mastering different technologies daily, getting the chance to understand the culture and business practices, and setting yourself up for future success. I enjoy the opportunity here unlike other companies the ability to collaborate with the executives and actually having them listen to you and your ideas. Above all what I have noticed is their genuine interest in not only their employees success in their career, but also a genuine interest in themselves on a personal level. I can only see big things ahead in the future for SGA and myself.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about my experiences at SGA.

Keep doing what you have been doing because it is working!

Management is lost in their own money hungry world

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a former, long time employee, I can honestly say that the positive reviews written here are all from management. The tone, wording and sentence structure are all things that management would say to a new employee to bolster momentum and foster good will in the company. None of the things written are true. SGA only cares about one thing and it’s money: how much money are you going to make them while getting little back in return. They recently proposed to cut commissions costs, even to Senior level recruiters who have been there for years. This should be illegal, to lower commissions already earned from years ago? What’s worse is management really does not care about anyone there, on a personal level. Whether you be a working mother, single parent, or a grad student, they ignore that employees have outside lives. They believe that 100% of your focus should be for the company and any activity an employee has outside the company is negative. If your child is sick, you have to come in. If you are sick, you have to come in. If there’s 30inches of snow, you have to come in. There is no honest caring for anyone there. Its proven by managements proposed commission cut plan, even to people who have been there 10 plus years. There are no incentives to employees, yes the health benefits are good, but there is no matching 401k, no life insurance, no disability, no stock options, nothing to encourage your own welfare beyond employment there. The partners are all in it for themselves as they make out very well, getting a part of every deal and still have outrageous salaries.

Cons

Please do not believe the positive reviews here. Their internal employment manager will try to sell you on this place that the sky is the limit and that there is so much room for growth. But there is not. The salary for everyone is 32k and the commission structure is awful, it takes yrs. to even make a profit. The only people that can get by working on this income is someone fresh out of college still living at home. And at that income, you would think that you wouldn’t have to work hard for it but you do. You will be constantly monitored, your emails, call volume, every last detail. You will be micromanaged, sent constant emails of the day by managers who put nothing in writing so they don’t even remember rules they sent out last week, that they just made up to suit that situation. The only positive I got out of working there was their knowledge of what work environment I do not want to be a part of. Once you finally take the leap and go, you realize how dysfunctional SGA is.

Put yourselves in your employees shoes. Stop making up rules by the seat of your pants. Stop monitoring everything your employees do, including bathroom breaks. I know management will never change their ways but at least we can get real word out about this place to stop smart people from working there.

Sep 9, 2013Hd of Recruiting, Social Media

SGA always strives to provide a supportive work environment. The base salary is just that - a base. All commissions earned are added to that. Once in a recruiter role after an extensive, hands on ... More

Not a good employer and environment.

Former Employee - Employee in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance

Pros

National account holder for JPMC. Benefits package is good, as they fully cover benefits for employees.

Cons

SGA seems to have little to no direction. They try to motivate by promising large commissions and payouts, but never provide the tools to be successful. There is no training AT ALL for recruiters or sales(sitting in a conference room learning how to use their system is not training). Technical tests for candidates are antiquated and are not kept up with the technologies. This is ironic as the business is to staff talented IT people.

Recruitment and Sales have two managers for each team, which means nothing gets done as no one is ever on the same page. One manger gives a directive while the other says something completely opposite. And they continually pit sales and recruiting against each other for the most ridiculous issues.

Sales managers have no idea what is happening in the market. They sit in their offices and bark orders. When that does not work, the berate and be-little the sales staff.

The overall biggest con is the Managing Director. NO SALES EXPERIENCE AT ALL. How can you run a business based on sales when you have never sold, managed an account or even opened a new clients.

Remove current management and hire people that know what they are doing. Stop changing everything by the "seat of the pants." Structure is sorely need to improve this environment and having people in place that do not know how it manage is slowly destroying this business.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Software Guidance & Assistance

Pros

Great people to work with. They provide a lot of tools and admin support to help make your job easier. Ability to make very good commissions. Opportunites to relocate to other offices. Seem to be focused on growing the company. Have a lot of big clients. Treat employees fairly. Back office makes sure consultants are always paid on-time so you never have to worry about that. Opportunity to change roles and grow with the company.

Cons

Can micromanage too much (but usually leave you alone if you are doing well)

good

Former Employee - Assistant Software Engineer in Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Assistant Software Engineer in Chennai (India)

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

u will get ur earnings

Cons

hv to do lots of work

thnks 4 everything

I'm looking for a job behind me I will be in the same specialty

Current Employee - Assistant in Itzer (Morocco)
    Current Employee - Assistant in Itzer (Morocco)

Pros

I love this work I want to work in it

Cons

I do not like to compete in a negative work

I'm working must apply for administration advice

Software Guidance & Assistance Photos