Software Technology Group

Jeff Soderberg

Exciting Company, Great Way to Gain Experience

Former Employee - .NET Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - .NET Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The owners and management were very caring, and really made it a great place to work. Although consultants who are employees generally get a salary, if you work more than 40 hours per week, you get paid for it (straight time). Many times, I've heard management tell clients that any overtime is up to the consultant, that they do not require anyone to work more than 40 hours per week. I always felt that they had my back. To me, it's the best way to do consulting work - benefits and a guaranteed paycheck, while getting a variety of experience with different clients over time.

Cons

I really enjoyed the variety of experience that I gained, while I was here. However, sometimes it was a little too much variety. Most contracts last at least a few months, and some have been on the same one for a decade. But, you have to roll with it, and realize that you aren't likely to have the same work environment in 6 months or a year. That can be good and bad, and I know that my experience would never have been as broad, without it.

Keep up the individual relationships with employees. It builds loyalty, and will keep a developer on a difficult project, because they know you'll take care of them.

Very stressful work environment. Glorified Staffing Firm.

Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with the right client is a great experience, and STG tends to be more present for you than other staffing firms.

- Benefits were decent
    - Being able to optionally earn PTO by working overtime is nice
    - Their bench program allows employees to continue to be paid when not on a contract with a client, while also improving their skills (with a lot of caveats).
    - Seems somewhat more concerned with employee well-being than other staffing companies**

** Account Managers actually show up to check up on employees at client sites, which many other staffing companies say they will do, but never really do. The thing is, this seems to be more about trying to maintain a good relationship with the client than making sure the employees are doing okay. Since the account manager offers nothing more than a quick hello and then search out their contact with the company itself it seems that their motive is not in the employee's interest.

Cons

Working with the right client is more of a tribute to the client than to STG itself. STG will say whatever it needs to in order to hire someone, but in the end they treat their employees like products instead of people.

- They say they are not a "staffing" company. That's exactly what they really are though.
    - Company culture takes a backseat here. There is little sense of community among the staff.
    - What the Client wants always triumphs over the employee's wants and needs. The company will agree to nearly everything the client wants on your behalf and treats you like a product they are selling instead of a person.
    - STG states that the 'bench' is about improving your skills and knowledge in between contracts. In reality the company steers you away from improving skills and knowledge and towards whatever will land a project ASAP.
    - The bench is miserable. You are made to feel badly about not being on a contract when you are on the bench for any period of time. There is a strong sense of distrust from management towards bench employees.
    - Management is very unreasonable and unaccommodating about being able to take PTO, sick days, etc. regardless of whether you are on the bench or with a client. They don't seem to want you to take any time off for any reason.
    - The pay is actually lower than what is typical across the industry.
    - I was told several very misleading and exaggerated things about the work environment, work conditions, types of clients/contracts, being able to decline projects that aren't a good fit, working from home when needed, etc.
    - STG is struggling to keep up with modern and current technologies. Most of its staff works with .net and older style HTML development. Mobile, modern HTML, and design are all things the firm struggles to understand.

- Tell employees the truth about opportunities, work environment, time-off and so on. Some people might actually be okay with the reality of the company, but coming with expectations that are unrealistic is toxic.
    - If the bench is really about improving skills and knowledge, don't discourage it and be more accommodating. Give employees the opportunity to *work together* on bench projects. Being on the bench was very isolating.
    - The biggest thing STG was missing was a sense of community and camaraderie.
    - There is a huge disparity between how management/administrative staff is treated vs developers, designers, etc. It feels like the software equivalent of working at McDonalds. For instance: Management go away to expensive retreats, while employees at-large just get a "bowling night" once a year.

Good developers but poor communication from management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group full-time

Pros

Smart developers and good technical leads.

Cons

Lack of communication. Employees are just out there until they hear otherwise. Projects vary so one might be engaging and another boring. Different than picking an employer and knowing what you will be doing. Consulting sounds like it will be more leading edge and interesting but it is often fairly mundane.

Get on the same page and communicate effectively.

Great place to work at!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of resources to learn, develop new skills.
    Great PTO policy -- earn PTO by working overtime, cash out on PTO whenever you want.
    Responsive, but hands-off management.
    Regular 6 month and yearly performance reviews.

Cons

You may not be interested in a consulting gig as a software developer. If your client isn't near the main office it is harder to be part of company culture. You will always wonder if you could make more money if you were just freelancing or working for your own consulting company. Overall, not too much to complain at.

It was kind of hard to actually get hired -- I feel like if I hadn't really followed up I wouldn't have got the job. If you want to make sure you get more developers working for you, make sure you don't let talent slip through your fingers because of inattention!

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Both business and technical management is highly supportive and effective.

Cons

Limited upward mobility due to available slots to be promoted into.

Keep up what you are doing.

Management says they have good values but doesn't follow through in practice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group full-time

Pros

The company has hired some great developers who do good work for clients. For the most part they can just go about their business and not be affected by things in the office.

Cons

Management doesn't 't live up to promises made, especially about doing the "right" thing rather than what is expedient or inexpensive. Consultants are really numbers on a page rather the "friends and family" they are made out to be.

Live the values you sell to candidates during the interview.

For the right person, they are top notch employer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Software Technology Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Higher side of average pay and above average benefits. Owner is very nice and easy to work with (seems to have an endless supply of patience).

I worked for them before, and during that time they were the best employer I ever had, bar none.

Cons

While the health insurance is provided at 1/2 cost, it's not the best policy I've seen. Its also far from the worst, so whether its a con depends on what you previously had.

If you have non-typical requirements, they can be "interesting" to work with.

Not always prompt with the salary; Several times I had to wait until Monday for a previous Friday paycheck (but they never actually missed any for more than the weekend).

At least one bad apple in management.

Other than getting rid of the bad apple (which I give zero chance of happening) there isn't much else that isn't nit picky or related to my abnormal needs that I would change.

The pay check deposit delay can be hard (had late utility payments 2 times because of it).

Best company I have worked for

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer

I have been working at Software Technology Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are valued and not seen as an expense.

Cons

none. there is nothing bad in my experience about this company.

Keep doing what you do.

Very friendly place to work

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very supportive management, They are always willing to help you meet your career goals. They work with clients to provide constructive critiques of performance to ensure you are always improving.

Cons

As a consultant most of the work you get is from places that are in need of improvement and thus may not be the most enjoyable to start but seeing the improvements you make can be very rewarding. That said the support staff works hard to limit the negative impact.

Keep up the awesome work!

Works hard to foster a good working environment

Former Employee - Project Manager/Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Treats its employees as professionals by supporting a family-friendly environment and trusting employee to monitor himself/herself. It's a relatively small consulting company, but incorporates benefits comparable to larger organizations. It discourages overtime, but compensates the employee when it's necessary.

Cons

As with any consulting company, job satisfaction is often associated to the project/client the employee is assigned to. Because its a small company, opportunities for advancement are somewhat limited.

None - management seems to be solid.