Software Technology Group (UT)

www.stgconsulting.com

Jeff Soderberg

1. Great family focused company

Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had a great focus on not only the developers, but also the developers family. They encourage a good work life balance and will do just about anything to help you get it

Cons

At the time the medical benefits weren't the best, but since obamacare came out they ate pretty dang good relatively speaking.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the quality of development staff.

Jun 17, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

We are so happy that you are having a good experience at STG! We are also always trying to improve our benefits and would like to talk with you about how we can improve. Please come and talk with our ... More

2. Great company to work for if you have no ambition

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time

Pros

Great model for a contractor who is looking to coast through their career. Bench model take away any anxiety of getting fired.

Cons

They take too much off the top., The day I found out that I was billing for 3-4 times what I was being paid I knew it was time to go. Also there were 0 opportunities for growth.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. Treat them as a valued asset, more then once a year. Also Reduce your over head expenses and invest that to retain your employees.

Jun 10, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! We would be more than happy to talk to you more about some of the suggestions you made. If you are comfortable doing so, please call into the office and ask to ... More

3. Former Employee

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This group strives on attempting to establish relationships with one another. They enjoy company parties and egagements. They would like to be succesful

Cons

They lack diversity and tend to hire family members of leadership. There is a lack of professionalism. The benefits are terrible. Makes promises in which they don't deliver on. Alot of nepotism and favortism. Incompentent and inexperienced individuals staffed.

Advice to Management

Considered staffing individuals based on experience and not based on relatives. Seek to be opened minded to diversity

5. Best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT)

Pros

STG really cares about their employees. Whenever I've had a problem, management has given it personal attention. They don't just listen, they act on problems and issues to get them resolved to the best of their ability. I love the combination of stability and new experiences. It isn't for everyone; if you want the same job forever, you won't be happy here. In my past experience in the computer industry, I changed jobs every three years anyway, and having the bench in between takes a lot of stress off of supporting my family. It can be difficult to maintain a company culture when you're employees are spread all along the Wasatch Front, but STG does a great job. Account managers visit you on site 1-2 times per month, and they have quarterly activities like nice dinners, bowling, and a zoo trip. They're very family oriented and will bend over backwards to make sure you have a good work- life balance. Compensation is on the high end compared to other places I've worked. STG is also the only place that has given me regular raises. Reviews are two- way, giving me a chance to give feedback as well, and are low stress and focused on positive improvement. They don't penalize you for not meeting all your annual goals, but instead focus on what changed and improved. Bottom line: highly recommended. I've never felt like a number here.

Cons

The insurance is adequate but not awesome. Because they are a smallish company, they don't get great rates. We have a high (very high) deductible plan. It isn't STG's fault though. They work hard to do the best for their employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Please don't lose sight of the personal touch with employees as we grow. I worry a little that the focus on growth may reduce the wonderful family feel we have. Already, none of the new admin assistants know my name even though they talk to me regularly on the phone or email. I miss the old personal touch there and hope it doesn't spread.

Apr 27, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

There is no better feedback than knowing that the company has helped its employees to grow, feel valued, and enjoy work/life balance. We are excited that this has been your experience as well as so ... More

6. Like family

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT)

Pros

I worked there for over 5 years and it was always like family for me - the flat management structure was nice and they always gave detailed feedback about my performance. I received decent raises the entire time I worked there, and the benefits were always amazing for the small size of the company.

Cons

More specific help on how to improve so-called soft skills would have been helpful, but I'm not sure what can be done about that. I did feel that I was pigeon-holed into working on LDS church contracts once it was known that I had a temple recommend - and those were horribly managed and rarely successful. That said, if I had pushed back hard enough on those, I'm sure they wouldn't have minded putting me elsewhere...

Advice to Management

Advice to management? Hmmm - not sure I have any...

Apr 27, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

We feel like a family at STG for sure! We are thrilled that you found this to be true as well. STG is always trying to continue to provide training to its employee on soft skills and interviewing ... More

7. Enjoyable

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT)

Pros

Everyone is very positive and understanding of the day to day frustrations of software development.

Cons

You may not always like the contract you are on. unfortunately it may be hard to get removed from that contract

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to fire a client if they are not treating your people properly.

Apr 27, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for giving us feedback on how we can help you further. We always encourage our employees to reach out to their account manager in the instance of any difficulty with a client. We are glad ... More

8. Exciting Company, Great Way to Gain Experience

Former Employee - .NET Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - .NET Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The owners and management were very caring, and really made it a great place to work. Although consultants who are employees generally get a salary, if you work more than 40 hours per week, you get paid for it (straight time). Many times, I've heard management tell clients that any overtime is up to the consultant, that they do not require anyone to work more than 40 hours per week. I always felt that they had my back. To me, it's the best way to do consulting work - benefits and a guaranteed paycheck, while getting a variety of experience with different clients over time.

Cons

I really enjoyed the variety of experience that I gained, while I was here. However, sometimes it was a little too much variety. Most contracts last at least a few months, and some have been on the same one for a decade. But, you have to roll with it, and realize that you aren't likely to have the same work environment in 6 months or a year. That can be good and bad, and I know that my experience would never have been as broad, without it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the individual relationships with employees. It builds loyalty, and will keep a developer on a difficult project, because they know you'll take care of them.

Apr 27, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so glad that you enjoyed the caring company culture at STG!

Very stressful work environment. Glorified Staffing Firm.

Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the right client is a great experience, and STG tends to be more present for you than other staffing firms. - Benefits were decent - Being able to optionally earn PTO by working overtime is nice - Their bench program allows employees to continue to be paid when not on a contract with a client, while also improving their skills (with a lot of caveats). - Seems somewhat more concerned with employee well-being than other staffing companies** ** Account Managers actually show up to check up on employees at client sites, which many other staffing companies say they will do, but never really do. The thing is, this seems to be more about trying to maintain a good relationship with the client than making sure the employees are doing okay. Since the account manager offers nothing more than a quick hello and then search out their contact with the company itself it seems that their motive is not in the employee's interest.

Cons

Working with the right client is more of a tribute to the client than to STG itself. STG will say whatever it needs to in order to hire someone, but in the end they treat their employees like products instead of people. - They say they are not a "staffing" company. That's exactly what they really are though. - Company culture takes a backseat here. There is little sense of community among the staff. - What the Client wants always triumphs over the employee's wants and needs. The company will agree to nearly everything the client wants on your behalf and treats you like a product they are selling instead of a person. - STG states that the 'bench' is about improving your skills and knowledge in between contracts. In reality the company steers you away from improving skills and knowledge and towards whatever will land a project ASAP. - The bench is miserable. You are made to feel badly about not being on a contract when you are on the bench for any period of time. There is a strong sense of distrust from management towards bench employees. - Management is very unreasonable and unaccommodating about being able to take PTO, sick days, etc. regardless of whether you are on the bench or with a client. They don't seem to want you to take any time off for any reason. - The pay is actually lower than what is typical across the industry. - I was told several very misleading and exaggerated things about the work environment, work conditions, types of clients/contracts, being able to decline projects that aren't a good fit, working from home when needed, etc. - STG is struggling to keep up with modern and current technologies. Most of its staff works with .net and older style HTML development. Mobile, modern HTML, and design are all things the firm struggles to understand.

Advice to Management

- Tell employees the truth about opportunities, work environment, time-off and so on. Some people might actually be okay with the reality of the company, but coming with expectations that are unrealistic is toxic. - If the bench is really about improving skills and knowledge, don't discourage it and be more accommodating. Give employees the opportunity to *work together* on bench projects. Being on the bench was very isolating. - The biggest thing STG was missing was a sense of community and camaraderie. - There is a huge disparity between how management/administrative staff is treated vs developers, designers, etc. It feels like the software equivalent of working at McDonalds. For instance: Management go away to expensive retreats, while employees at-large just get a "bowling night" once a year.

Apr 27, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

We are happy that you found our company to be present for our employees. We also try to ensure that employees who are between projects have ample opportunities to grow their skills. We would ... More

Good people but not a great company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT)

Pros

Great developers and good people to work with. Benefits are okay, better than other contract firms but not as good as many companies.

Cons

Projects are whatever comes along and some are not technically interesting. Need to have patience to take good and bad assignments or you are better off finding a job at a company doing the kind of work you like. Company has a LDS tone, maybe because that is the biggest client. All of the management team is LDS and it seems to influence the company too much.

Advice to Management

Focus on finding interesting projects. Add some diversity to the ranks.

Apr 27, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

We are so grateful for your feedback. We would be very open to discussing any concerns you have about the diversity of the management staff as well as our benefits. We are always researching options ... More

Good developers but poor communication from management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time

Pros

Smart developers and good technical leads.

Cons

Lack of communication. Employees are just out there until they hear otherwise. Projects vary so one might be engaging and another boring. Different than picking an employer and knowing what you will be doing. Consulting sounds like it will be more leading edge and interesting but it is often fairly mundane.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page and communicate effectively.

Apr 27, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Communication is very important to STG. We strive to have a culture of open and transparent leadership. We would welcome any feedback on how we can improve and help you as an employee to feel more ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed