SoftwareONE

Incredible Company with Top notch Leaders

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at SoftwareONE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SoftwareONE gives each person the opportunity to grow and excel in their career. The CEO himself takes the time to sit down with each and every employee each year to see what feedback they have to provide and takes notes. I will have been at this company for 3 years come April and I couldnt be happier. This company truly cares about their employees and their success vs. Other companies I have worked for that see you as just another "rep" and that means a lot! I truly view SoftwareONE as a family. The culture is amazing and I can't see myself going anywhere else ever. The open door policy we have is the biggest value I see. I have made an effort of getting to know lots of people within the company(both leadership and non leadership) and that has been a big contributor to my success. I would challenge any unhappy employees to really make an effort to get to know some of the leaders in the company as well as your Inside team and other BDMs.

Cons

I don't have much to say in terms of cons. The company does grow at a fast pace so you do have to be prepared to adapt and learn quick. It is definitely doable but you need to be ready to buckle up and get ready for the ride! With the fantastic support of our leaders from both a US and Global perspective, no one should have any issues getting to where you need to be though. If you are having trouble, just ASK! Don't ever be afraid to ask for help!

Keep up the good work! You all are doing a great job! Continue being involved and interactive with the BDMs as you are today. Softwareone is a very enjoyable and fun place to work and it is you all who make that experience a positive one!

Good on the surface, a narcissistic CEO makes every decision at every level

I worked at SoftwareONE full-time

Pros

Exceptional people wanting to contribute to the growth and success of the company long term. The company has grown year over year both in revenue and employees between 30% and 50% for the past 8+ years, really due to the loyalty of the employees.

Cons

Global leadership is inexperienced at running and transforming a small company to a large enterprise market player.. While SoftwareONE has 7 fundamental principles it strives for everyone to follow, the person breaking those very principles day after day is at the top of the organization. The CEO can't seem to let go of the day to day to focus on actually leading the organization while letting the regional and country leaders run the business as they know how. He is in everyone's business and constantly overrules on any decisions made, disregarding the local leadership to the point where its often embarrassing and undermining. This is usually all to make himself appear as he is on the side of the employees which is definitely not the case. It is a very politically run "boys club" of a group of top leaders but in the end the CEO makes every decision.

Simply put: GROW UP. Think like an enterprise company with an employee count of 2000+, make the difficult decisions to move the wrong leaders out of their positions, starting with the CEO. Ultimately, he should be focused as the top sales person of SoftwareONE. Recruit and hire a person to build on the great foundation that is there; someone with true experience building and running a company larger than 500 employees that has transformed itself as the market changes impact or stagnate growth. If you have values and principles you strive to live by, truly stand by them and everyone else will also.

Great place for passionate and entrepreneurial people!

I have been working at SoftwareONE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SoftwareONE is the biggest entrepreneurial company I've ever worked for. Everyone here has an opportunity to demonstrate leadership to provide value to customers and improve execution. The company is privately help and the owner treats employees like family - hard expectations, but supportive for times in need.

Cons

SoftwareONE does expect hard work and lots of travel. We also expect employees to be passionate about software and software licensing. Must be able to deal with complexity and LOTS of change.

Need to make sure we're only hiring the "A" players. I know it gets harder as we scale to such a large organization, but we must keep our culture and reputation as being the best.

Great experiences!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at SoftwareONE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's definitely a work hard, play hard environment. You will be rewarded for your hard work. The company culture is amazing and I honestly can't see myself working anywhere else.

Cons

Not really a con, but there is a lot to learn very quickly and if you are not keeping up, it will be noticed.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Tread with extreme caution if you are considering joining this team....

I worked at SoftwareONE

Pros

Singular focus on volume software licensing for corporations maintains maximum resources in areas of strength.

Entrepreneurial culture, does its best to change rapidly to keep up with the pace of today's business.

Cons

Once-great company culture of respect for the individual, work hard/[play hard, flat organizational structure, etc. has now been discarded in favor of power politics, cut-throat pressure, hire and fire in a manic drive to achieve in four years what has taken other companies much more time to build up.

Boundlessly arrogant Swiss, German, and English leadership team look upon the American company with disdain and have pretty much wiped out those key differentiators that made the original SoftwareONE in the U.S. a success before the merger with the Swiss company.

Manic Swiss CEO runs the company like it still has 25 employees instead of 2,000, allowing no one else but himself to make most final decisions, including having to personally approve every hire in the US, etc. Five levels of management underneath him all have to run everything of significance up his ladder. He conducts himself outside of the company values that he preaches to everyone else. Morale in the organization has taken a nosedive in the last two years.

You are already half way to letting greed and a manic pace destroy what once was one of the best places to work in the world.

CEO: learn to delegate. You can't triple the size of your company globally if you keep your finger on every button in the company. Accept the fact that what works in Europe or Asia may not work in the U.S. or South America.

Get rid of the blatant hypocrisy and actually live once again by the values that you espouse for the company.

Closed-Minded Management

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at SoftwareONE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company culture, opportunity to travel, and beer Fridays. Their National Sales Kickoff conferences and Mid-Year Conferences are fun but it's basically a gathering to see who can drink the most. Sometimes you're eligible for random prizes or bonuses throughout the year, but it's a crummy way to keep up employee moral.

Cons

"boys club" management, favoritism, no opportunities for advancement (unless you're in the special circle), on-boarding is a joke, no standard processes or procedures, zero work/life balance. Currently looking for another job!

Open your mind to new ideas and people! Unfortunately, since the company is privately held, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Don't believe the hype

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at SoftwareONE

Pros

casual work environment in nice new office

Cons

very high school. Lots of gossip and pretty girls don't have to learn how to do their job. The three inside sales managers are terrible and do nothing except have meetings with each other and play favorites. Different rules for their friends. Bad pay, expect you to do all of the outside reps work while they make all the money. Preach family and open door but couldn't be further from the truth. Have also released people who were promoted and made too much money. Even had one of those employees train a new hire and once she trained new hire they let her go. Very unprofessional company. Company surveys are never paid attention to and problems never fixed. They talk a big game but don't believe the hype. Worst place I ever worked.

Not worth it as they wont listen anyways

Project Management Intern at SoftwareONE

Current Employee - Project Management Intern in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Management Intern in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at SoftwareONE as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

SoftwareONE is a very well balanced and relaxed company to work with. Professional work environment with no strict dress code. Network is very well established and close knit. Real global sense and rapidly expanding. Look after their own.

Cons

Certain jobs have a minimal room for promotion while others are very fast paced. Quarterly ends are a very high stress period and demanding but rewarding. Training and expertise is all self paced and completely dependent on your own drive.

A lot of current restructuring of management makes things difficult to track, am hoping for a settling of the powers at be and a re-establishment of the american marketing department currently underway. As it is though, the flow of information is fantastic and the inter connectivity of this global company is as good as it gets.

Amazing Place to Work

I have been working at SoftwareONE full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people in the industry. Ability to be yourself as a valued individual contributor. Management is doing your job, not just telling you what to do.
    People are nice, fun and the management team has a backbone to what is right.
    Growth...Challenging, but fun and lots of opportunities.

Cons

Sorry but I do not have anything bad to say...Yet :)

Keep doing what you are doing...

A Mostly Negative Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at SoftwareONE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun, young company. Lots of sponsored events - free food, drinks, etc. Easy transition from college life to "corporate life." Casual dress code

Cons

SoftwareONE is a stressful environment for anyone who wants any sort of structure in their work life. Tasks are learned by peers or figured out on your own. Processes (or lack thereof) are rarely analyzed for improvement in efficiency or quality, because back office departments are understaffed and therefore overworked. Many employees can never stop working (through weekends, holidays, nights) because the workload is unbearable even one day is taken off. Most are afraid to take vacations, because they have no backup - literally no one else knows how to take care of their responsibilities. Employee turnover is extremely quick - most last less than 2 years, often it's less than 6 months. Management overspends on "employee morale" (sponsored events, endless amounts of free alcohol, etc.). Casual dress code is nice, but some take advantage of it - showing up in tanktops, short shorts, and flip flops to work. Any attempt to enforce "policies" or "regulations" turns into a complaint to a manager (or even the CEO) who then allows it. It seems as though each higher up has little consideration of his/her budget and allows employees to be reimbursed for almost anything (again alcohol, $100 headphones, tips that exceed the amount of the actual bill, etc.) that is supposedly a travel/SALES expense. If you're looking for feedback from a manager, you probably won't find it here. Quarterly "goals" are generally a joke. I never had a performance review (mostly because my manager didn't know most of what I did). I never had a meeting to discuss my future with the company - promotions, raises, etc. If I were to ask three coworkers the same question, I would receive three different answers. The company claims to value employees, but has started to move almost entire departments to India - only for the remaining U.S. employees to have to double their workload to fix errors from India. India is not trained properly, and time/language barriers only add to the problem. Also new-employee training has been cut (last I heard). The new-hire training in place when I started was useless to me as a back-office employee. It (along with the entire company) was geared towards SALES, without truly training the salespeople on the technical aspects of their job - like how to create a sales order correctly. Any problems originating from the SALES department usually ended up in the back office - many of which could have been solved with proper training.

Something drastic needs to happen. Hire more back office help - even if they just accomplish clerical work (filing, data entry, etc.) it will take these tedious tasks away from people who can truly help improve processes. Ask for suggestions - not just from your SALES people about hitting SALES numbers - maybe about reducing expenses (cutting Free Lunch Fridays, Frosty Fridays, weekly catered lunches) or standardizing process across states or countries. Many have ideas, but few know of a way to speak out to upper management without fearing their jobs will be moved to India. Don't remain aloof in Switzerland, get in with your subsidiaries on the ground floor to understand their concerns and issues - maybe in an anonymous way.