Softworld Reviews

Smoke and Mirrors

Former Employee - Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Softworld full-time

Pros

The line workers are very friendly. The regular recruiters and sales people are very professional. They try really hard to do a good job. Softworld does have a good core senior sales people and recruiters.

Cons

Management is out of touch. They have a cookie cutter staffing model and they are afraid to think outside the box. Right now they are doing ok because the market has picked up and almost all IT Staffing Agencies are making money. When the market goes down or stays flat, Softworld has a strong history of decreasing in value more than their competitors. They also have a reputation in the industry of letting employees go at the very first sign of economic trouble. They would rather let go of employees and not lose their bonuses. Managers want the staff to know that they are the Alpha dogs and that always has been their biggest focus point, not growing the business. If a recruiter or sales person voices an opinion that contradicts a manager, they usually get let go within 1 month. They have no women is senior management and have joked how women will never be Directors/VP. They micromanage EVERYTHING. They don't just use a basic recruiting/sales matrix (submittals, interviews, etc) like most Staffing agencies. They actually keep track of how 'clicks' you have in the database and how long you go in-between phone calls. By 'clicks', I mean, they actually keep track of how many different pages you click in their internal database. So, let's say you have a week with several interviews and a couple meetings, you might be pulled into a meeting and get spoken to if the rest of the team averaged 700 clicks in the database and you only had 400...if you try to state your reasons, they think you are being too negative and not a team player. Finally, there are a lot more former Softworld employees than current Softworld employees out there...There a lot of people that have left Softworld and have been successful. Softworld has become a 'usual suspect' agency. Everybody knows they are hiring, people go there to get some basic training or to collect a pay check until something better comes in.

Advice to Management

Think about your employees and be open to the opinions of others. Put your egos to the side.

Softworld Response

Dec 15, 2014 – Vice President, Operations

We respect that everyone has the ability to share their views and opinions. With that said, we feel the need to respond to a review like this because it is so far from anything we condone. The notes ... More

Do not try to work for Softworld

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Softworld

Pros

None. They recruit for jobs that don't exist. They lie and lie and lie. They are totally unethical.

Cons

They recruit for jobs that don't exist. They are totally unethical and screw with people's lives to meet their own twisted agendas. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SOFTWORLD.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes! YOU ARE UNETHICAL TO THE NTH DEGREE! HOW LONG DO YOU THINK YOUR company can continue to exist with the way you recruit for jobs that do not exist????

Softworld Response

Jan 5, 2015 – CEO

I know I can't change your mind about Softworld, but that is not going to stop me from trying. I am aware of the position you were recruited for and I want you to know that the position absolutely ... More

Terrible experience

I worked at Softworld

Pros

The office is nice and spacious. Free parking. There were a few very helpful people.

Cons

Two words, sweat shop. Your every move is watched and micromanaged, all day. Being constantly asked what you're working on and the status. Even though everything you do is entered in the ATS. Management can clearly see what you're working on, but they ask you any way. I was even approached by my supervisor one day around 11:00 AM and was told that I had only made 25 calls so far that day. And it should more. There was not a single moment where you aren't made aware of your numbers for everything. Calls, submittals, interviews, hires, etc. There was also the pressure to come in early and stay late. Several times a week. And then there are the meetings. My God, the meetings. One every afternoon (except Fridays). To discuss open requirements and submittals. There were also unscheduled last minute meetings all the time too. In short, I found working at Softworld to be the most frustrating and unnerving experience of my career. I'd walk out of there each night with a headache or tightness in my chest. Extremely unhealthy. I know people who worked at Robert Half and Ranstad who said they never had it that bad.

Advice to Management

Loosen the leash, let your people breathe.

5. Passive Account Managers

I have been working at Softworld

Pros

Great Staff that is very helpful and willing to assist you when called upon Great compensation plan

Cons

Feedback takes too long and the Sales Team is real passive Top recruiters have been there between 8-10 years and they are only billing at $10/k You end up trading time for money

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to fire your clients if the process is taking too long or they have went dark on you!

Expectations were properly set.

Current Employee - UCS Level I in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - UCS Level I in Dover, NH

I have been working at Softworld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a diverse client base with great relationships

Cons

Better benefits apply after 1 year.

Left Hanging

I worked at Softworld

Pros

Softworld placed me in one of the best roles I've ever worked. They offer decent pay rates, W2, Health and Dental.

Cons

Lack of communication when my initial recruiter left the organization. Made no effort to help me find another position after a very long contract (24+ months). Pretty much told me I was on my own and blamed it on the economy. Failed to follow through on some serious issues (potentially litigous) created by another consultant for Software, or even adrress them. Passed the buck alot. Also failed to register my correct tax filing, which caused me to suffer IRS penalites. (Registered me as 1099 in my home state, instead of W2 as directed.)

Advice to Management

Provide an incentive to your recruiters for placing resources in additional contracts once the initial or current contract is completed.

Softworld was there when they needed me.

Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Suburbia, Anne Arundel, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Suburbia, Anne Arundel, MD

I worked at Softworld full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Softworld was very aggressive in finding me a job. They gave me good support in advance of my interview. Once I got the job, they kept in touch to make sure I was all right for the first few months.

Cons

When the Government came out with the Sequestration, I made it through the first round of cuts. I lasted another 3 months before I was let go. I told my contact at Softworld with a month's notice, but did not receive any help or feedback.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the people who got you where you are today. Keep in touch and help them out.

Great people, growing business

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Waltham, MA

I worked at Softworld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people by far are the best reason to work at Softworld. Everyone is nice, smart, and always willing to help. -Competitive base and commission plan that exceeds industry standards. -Diverse set of clients from SMB to government contractors. -Laptop, wireless headset, great software and infrastructure support with cutting-edge web-based ATS

Cons

-The hours. Employees are strongly encouraged to work nights and weekends regularly, which is typical of the IT staffing industry in general though. Just know what you're getting into if you want to earn $$$ -The sales people could work better with recruiters to "fight" for their candidates and push back against clients to better qualify requirements rather than just "taking an order." -Too many meetings and time spent on administrative work (e.g., formatting resumes to perfection). -Lots of micromanagement, too much metrics tracking and unrealistic individual goals pushed by upper management.

Advice to Management

Trust your senior recruiters to get the job done and don't look over their shoulders every second.

A good recruiting firm with their act together

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Softworld

Pros

I worked with Softworld for three months and found them friendly, competant, and appreciative of my efforts for their client. They paid for some of my parking, but not all. They paid promptly and without issues, and invoicing was simple. They took me to lunch after a few weeks.

Cons

Considering the glowing reviews I got from their client, I was a little surprised they didn't make much effort to find other work for me. I didn't hear about an opportunity for 6 months and yet I live near DC, which has hundreds of similar openings a month.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and do more to find work for consultants who've done a great job for you.

Great experience. Expectations were properly set.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Softworld

Pros

- great company culture - you can go to SR management about anything. - everybody is their to help you if you want/need it. - you make your own schedule - no micro-managing whatsoever.

Cons

The hours will be long sometime

RSS Feed </> Embed