Softworld Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Dave Teitelman

A challenging work environment with support from the entire company ranging from CEO to peers

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Softworld full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We have grown from a small start up environment where we had to figure things out to now a fully established corporation with solid policies and procedures which ensures competitive advantage in a super competitive industry. Our ability to service our client's IT needs starts with our internal SLA's with our team of 30+ technical recruiters. Our sales team is seasoned with strong client relationships. Softworld's working environment is truly a team atmosphere where everyone is happy to help one another. With over 300 employees companywide, Softworld successfully competes with the top firms on a national basis, yet is still small and nimble in being able to get things done without red tape or obstacles. Softworld has been a great place to grow and be challenged for the past 16 years. I truly enjoy the job and the great people I get to work with.

Cons

I really can't think of any. Management is engaging and supportive with strong core values. Compensation and benefits are also very good.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The short and long term vision and strategies are solid and sharing them with the team keeps the team motivated and working towards tangible goals.

Smoke and Mirrors

Former Employee - Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Softworld full-time

Pros

The line workers are very friendly.
    The regular recruiters and sales people are very professional. They try really hard to do a good job.
    Softworld does have a good core senior sales people and recruiters.

Cons

Management is out of touch. They have a cookie cutter staffing model and they are afraid to think outside the box.

Right now they are doing ok because the market has picked up and almost all IT Staffing Agencies are making money. When the market goes down or stays flat, Softworld has a strong history of decreasing in value more than their competitors. They also have a reputation in the industry of letting employees go at the very first sign of economic trouble. They would rather let go of employees and not lose their bonuses.

Managers want the staff to know that they are the Alpha dogs and that always has been their biggest focus point, not growing the business. If a recruiter or sales person voices an opinion that contradicts a manager, they usually get let go within 1 month.

They have no women is senior management and have joked how women will never be Directors/VP.

They micromanage EVERYTHING. They don't just use a basic recruiting/sales matrix (submittals, interviews, etc) like most Staffing agencies. They actually keep track of how 'clicks' you have in the database and how long you go in-between phone calls. By 'clicks', I mean, they actually keep track of how many different pages you click in their internal database.
    So, let's say you have a week with several interviews and a couple meetings, you might be pulled into a meeting and get spoken to if the rest of the team averaged 700 clicks in the database and you only had 400...if you try to state your reasons, they think you are being too negative and not a team player.

Finally, there are a lot more former Softworld employees than current Softworld employees out there...There a lot of people that have left Softworld and have been successful. Softworld has become a 'usual suspect' agency. Everybody knows they are hiring, people go there to get some basic training or to collect a pay check until something better comes in.

Advice to Management

Think about your employees and be open to the opinions of others. Put your egos to the side.

Softworld Response

Dec 15, 2014Vice President, Operations

We respect that everyone has the ability to share their views and opinions. With that said, we feel the need to respond to a review like this because it is so far from anything we condone. The notes ... More

Great

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Softworld full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the concept of work because of Softworld

Cons

I hope to continue enjoying my work because of Softworld

Great people, growing business

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Waltham, MA

I worked at Softworld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people by far are the best reason to work at Softworld. Everyone is nice, smart, and always willing to help.
    -Competitive base and commission plan that exceeds industry standards.
    -Diverse set of clients from SMB to government contractors.
    -Laptop, wireless headset, great software and infrastructure support with cutting-edge web-based ATS

Cons

-The hours. Employees are strongly encouraged to work nights and weekends regularly, which is typical of the IT staffing industry in general though. Just know what you're getting into if you want to earn $$$
    -The sales people could work better with recruiters to "fight" for their candidates and push back against clients to better qualify requirements rather than just "taking an order."
    -Too many meetings and time spent on administrative work (e.g., formatting resumes to perfection).
    -Lots of micromanagement, too much metrics tracking and unrealistic individual goals pushed by upper management.

Advice to Management

Trust your senior recruiters to get the job done and don't look over their shoulders every second.

RSS Feed </> Embed