SolTech Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
2.7

CEO
1 Rating

Fun place to work where experts team up to deliver fast-paced projects

Former Employee - Technical Architect  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SolTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great people
    - Ability to work on many projects and learn many new technologies
    - If you want to make a larger contribution and offer it, Soltech will let you make a difference
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Awesome office with 270 degree view from 24th floor covering Midtown-Downtown skyline, Buckhead skyline, Stone Mountain

Cons

- Due to a large number of customers with fast-paced projects, the priorities can change frequently. This requires great time management and task prioritization skills.
    - Taking time off can be difficult if it affects project timelines

- Improve task delegation / tracking process with something that eases this for employees. Jira is great, but it does not look like it fits well in a consulting environment with people that work on multiple projects with different development methodologies.
    - Differentiate better between staff augmentation versus custom software development projects. Try not to mix the two because they require very different customer and employee expectations

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SolTech

Pros

Paychecks all came through, located in buckhead in a very nice area, parking garage had plenty of space and it was walking distance to some good lunch spots.

Cons

Management was terrible. Gave no clear direction to employees but still micromanaged you at every step. Leaders were very hostile towards employees whenever they shared opinions.

Know what you want to do with your people, help to foster them into what you want them to be by teaching and working together.

Great people, exciting work, just need to make improvements on how projects are handled.

I have been working at SolTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work always coming in; a good range of projects from cutting-edge to basic applications. You'll get exposed to a lot of technologies, including new frameworks like AngularJS, the latest versions of .NET and Java, and mobile frameworks like PhoneGap.
    They're moving to Agile/Scrum, which should help the customer and the development team deliver something valuable.
    Above all else, they know most of the things mentioned in the Cons area need to change and are working on it!

Cons

Still finding their way on extracting requirements from the client; they focus pretty heavily on wireframes, which doesn't always define everything you need to know and will gradually become useless as they go out of date.
    The "Product Owner" role needs some work - right now, they're mostly around at the beginning and are then moved to a new project once development begins.
    The Project Manager role needs work as well, often doesn't actually know what is being worked on.
    Pressure to sell the project can lead to overselling on budget or timelines, which conflicts with the principles of Agile.
    High turnover makes it hard to know who will be doing the work, which makes estimates less accurate.
    Unit/integration testing is still an afterthought.

Wireframes are good and easy for the client to understand, but a document that captures business rules would help the developers a lot.
    Delivering an estimate for everything to the customer before you form the development team is a recipe for blown budgets. Identifying the team members before development begins can help you get a more accurate idea of how fast the team will be able to deliver.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run!

Former Employee - Developer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SolTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

other than sometimes working with newest technologies and a few good people...not much positive to say. oh yeah, they paid for parking.

Cons

Was hired for a specific role and technology based on my experience. When that project ended, they threw me into projects where I had no expertise, they provided no training or guidance. They actually told me not to ask questions of more-experienced team members. Then within a few weeks, they fired me. Over the 2+ years I worked there, I saw this happen several times and just hoped it wouldn't happen to me. It is a revolving door of hiring and firing.

Very few projects were successful...they'd under-estimate the scope of a project to get the contract, then look for ways to short-cut development to remain on-budget. This was often at the expense of the developers and critical application functionality. The customers would not get a fully working solution - just something that "technically" met the requirements of the contract. The project managers and solution architects spend WAY too much time shuffling blame and covering their posteriors. The level of stress is some of the worst I've seen at any job. And...I saw a lot of unhappy clients.

The entire management structure is extremely passive-aggressive and disingenuous. I was hired directly by one of the owners and they had been after me for several years to join their company after having been placed by them a few years earlier. When they fired me, neither owner was available. They had an underling do the dirty work. It was the first I had heard of any dissatisfaction with me and I was given no opportunity to correct or address anything. The owners did not respond to my call or email until about 3 weeks later - by then, I just had nothing to say. I also lost over 3 weeks of accrued vacation and got no severance.

They talk about their good benefits and culture, but neither is true. Medical insurance is some of the most expensive and least-comprehensive I've ever had. A work-life balance does not exist. It is only about putting in hours and meeting unrealistic deadlines. It's really shocking how many former Soltech employees I run into in this town.

I hope you enjoy your opulent lifestyle at the expense of others. It seems you really believe you have a great company with great benefits and happy employees. Unfortunately, I don't think you have any idea what is/was really going on. Everyone starts at Soltech believing it is a good place to work, then the reality hits them and from then they're just trying to keep from getting fired until they find something better.

Poor Organization

I have been working at SolTech

Pros

If you feel 'work overtime and that can get you paid' is motivation, go for it.

Cons

Associates developers to projects where the developer may have zero experience with even the language.

Read the employee handbook before accepting a job

Current Employee - Developer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SolTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked on a critical piece of an interesting project

Cons

Have a policy of having to forfeit any earned vacation time if you give your 2 weeks notice.

Worst health/Dental plan I've ever had with an employer

I worked for Soltech in Atlanta, GA. I consulted for one of their clients who had a high profile project to complete and worked on a critical piece of the project. I needed to use vacation time for family reasons, but had to postpone my plans due to deadlines. After working overtime without pay to get the project completed and having been burnt out, I decided to leave after completing the project. After I gave the 2 weeks notice and give them the option that I can either use my vacation time or be paid for the vacation time, I was told that they have a policy that states you forfeit your vacation when you give the 2 weeks notice! I had never encountered such a lousy company policy before, however, after reviving the employee handbook it was there as stated. Turns out that Georgia is one notoriously bad state when comes to employee rights and leaves this sort of things for the employer to decide. This company, soltech.net, in particular is one of the worst I have run across that used it to its advantage. Keep that in mind and review the employee handbook before you give notice to your current employer so you wont run into ugly situations.

What goes around comes around. Dont forget Atlanta is a small place.

SolTech is a pretty good place to work

I have been working at SolTech

Pros

Constant work from various clients means it rarely gets boring. The project manager I worked under really looked after the devs. The Owners are friendly and look out for their emloyees.

Cons

Benefits are not as good as at some other places.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - QA Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SolTech as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

SolTech has a very positive "get it done" attitude. You need to bring your A-game to be recognized and rewarded. Those who are not at the top of their game tend to fall by the wayside but this is a process of natural selection. SolTech wants the best from their employees and the best for their employees. I've been in IT for 13 years and can honestly say it's one of my best work experiences. Great culture, work environment and good compensation.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about SolTech.

Keep it up!

One of the worst experiences ever

Current Employee - .NET Developer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - .NET Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SolTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

They were on the latest technology, other than that there were no benefits.

Cons

The management is horrible. They estimate way low and over work you without paying you for it. If there is no work they push you out of the company. They are lucky they haven't been sued yet.

Just quit while you are ahead, you don't have a viable business model. Your company more resembles a mafia than a company.

An Awesome place to work!

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SolTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart, fun and caring company. Successful firm who treats customers and employees right. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had as an employee. I felt valued and appreciated, plus I learned about a new industry.

Cons

I have no cons for this company.

Keep up what you are doing!

Worked for SolTech? Contribute to the Community!