Solar Turbines Reviews

84 reviews filtered by

1. slowly declining

Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solar Turbines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work / life balance
    Great benefits

Cons

Can have long hours without compensation
    Bonuses are decreasing year after year

New young executives at Solar are being pushed around by CAT, changing focus from "family-oriented" company to "let's please the shareholders" company.

2. Safe and secure company to work for

I have been working at Solar Turbines full-time

Pros

Very relaxed environment with great people/culture/values. Hard to get fired (rarely do people get fired because of poor performance). Many opportunities for technical & professional growth.

Cons

Lower than industry compensation. Not clear why certain people are promoted while the pace of career advancement is slow and it seems like there is a waiting line for every position. Most promotions require you to move and if you want to move into the upper echelons in the company you have to move quite a bit.

Clear direction on why decisions are being made. Show more value to employees.

Great at First!! but after 5 years you will run away!

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solar Turbines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1.Right out of college was the best thing ever! they will treat you well, you will learn a lot.
    2. Good benefits comparing to other companies in SD- minus the pay.
    3. best location ever though expensive.

Cons

1. Solar does not appreciate hard workers who are smart and highly educated.
    2. Most managers are not qualified to do the job. they simply act like kids out of a high school. tons of employees are not qualified either!
    3. Once you get hired it's almost impossible to get promoted you have to move to different jobs to get promoted.
    4. Hard work and education does not mean anything to Management. all they care about is personality and if you're friends with them you will get promoted.
    5.Full of inadequate employees -super low performers- some don't even work, they just get paid what a shame! a lot of the Six SIgma Black belts are just waste! Solar will never fire lazy employees they will be kept and placed in some Black Belt position making good money and wasting everybody's time with projects that don't help the company or the bottom line.
    6.Big High School Drama!
    7. nepotism is big!! your relative has to be working in the company to get a good salary grade!!! it's so pathetic!
    8.The pay is pathetic if you've been at the company for a while new hires with no experience usually make 15%-30% more than you. it's so unfair! you have to train new hires who make much more than you!
    9. Solar loves to hire unqualified managers with no degrees or with degrees from crappy fake online schools.
    10.No one cares about new ideas or innovative solutions!! they're stuck in the past!!
    11. Politics!!! all they care about is politics! hard work does not equate to promotion! bullshitting is the essence at Solar.
    12. insensitive managers.

treat your real degreed engineers with some respect! pay them! Solar is losing great talents because of it!

get rid of waste! including lazy employees and low performers!! enough is enough!! that's why we will never make it to the 100 best companies to work for!! not even the top 10000 companies to work for!

get rid of unnecessary positions!! no need for unqualified Black Belts! they're waste of time and money!

It's OK

Current Employee - Engineering Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Solar Turbines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Long time presence in San Diego. If you can get in, this is a stable company that's willing to do what it takes to stay in business.

Cons

Being a subsidiary of Caterpillar, this is corporate America at it's worst. No personal interaction. Individuals experience, expertise, and opinion is not considered at all.

Put more focus on the individual. Be more transparent. I'm happy to have a job but I don't look forward to going to work each day. This environment makes people feel like robots and ensures sub-par quality labor.

6. An engaging engineering environment with potential for internal growth.

Current Employee - Controls Design Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Controls Design Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Solar Turbines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to travel and be promoted internally. Great benefits. Lots of opportunity for training. Attentive and responsive management.

Cons

Office politics leading to who you know over what you know. Group socializing could be a little more encouraged.

Encouraging more team-building opportunities.

7. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Solar Turbines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

International environment, very stable and productive company. Great growth opportunities for the right people. Part of a huge corporation.

Cons

Old slow moving company, limited growth for anyone not Sales or Mechanical backgrounds.

Build more opportunities for non mechanical engineers.

8. I got the excellent team work experience in America in this Company

Former Employee - Structure Package Mechanic in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Structure Package Mechanic in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solar Turbines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always struggle to learn as much as possible, the knowledge is immense out of imagination.

Cons

You have to study through the company site, to work hard no use.

Easier said than done, theory and practical are two extreme, it is good to combine two together.

9. Solar Culture

Current Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Solar Turbines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere, great people with a lot of unique backgrounds. There is no limit for job opportunities for this company, and there are many jobs that require frequent international travel. Very stable company, great benefits.

Cons

The many groups are managed by individuals that are either easy to work for, or very difficult. Caterpillar often sets new "rules" that Solar must follow. These rules are sometimes tedious and tend to have a negative effect on the workforce.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Solar Turbines full-time

Pros

Everyone is willing to help.
    Employee is culture is the best I have ever seen.
    Great place to grow and learn.
    Gain responsibility quickly.
    Located in an awesome city.

Cons

If I had to complain it would be about the cafeteria, Little Italy is right outside though.

11. Great employer! I would recommend to anyone interested.

I have been working at Solar Turbines full-time

Pros

Great culture, great people & a great product. There are opportunities for growth & you are provided the tools you need to succeed.

Cons

I genuinely don't have any real cons. Every company has their good & their bad, but my experience with Solar has been nothing but positive. They have allowed me to move & grow in multiple areas of the business & have given me every opportunity to improve myself.

Solar Turbines Photos