SolarCity

Updated July 14, 2014
3.8

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 11 reviews)

• Good experience with fast paced high expectations sales (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out (in 17 reviews)

• if you are salaried, be prepared for family drama due to work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not to bad

Current Employee - Direct Energy Consultant  in  Parker, CO
    Current Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Parker, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

great company, good values, Fantastic benefits

Cons

little training, even less material to help sell

please please please train better, especially since you have taken away the 3 month guarantee

Freedom in a market I'm passionate about.

Current Employee - Direct Energy Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate Culture, Time freedom, Jobs for family and friends, Founder is a billionaire playboy who is also the worlds most recognized "Eco-philanthropist" with Tesla also in his list of companies. Future outlook on the company is extremely good and the market is booming. At the current moment of this review, we are adding a customer every 3 minutes.

Cons

Working in a market where their traditional literature and training doesn't apply some of my training was definitely on the job. The company is extremely well funded and has given us tens of thousands of dollars of software programs to use alone, but in my office I found many people didn't know of or how to use them. A problem that is seemingly an issue of my office not of offices in general as I meet more people.

SolarCity is extremely vertically integrated, and I would love a forum for those of us out in the field to have a blog (forum) to express issues in a way that upper management and executives and hear and understand the needs of those of us on the front lines fighting the battles they create.

Never had a company care so much for their employees

Current Employee - Direct Energy Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Product, Awesome Marketing plan and business structure, they care about their employees and customers. If you look at any negative views on yelp Peter Rive part owner of the company responds to every single person. I can contact Peter and Lyndon Rive at any point with suggestions or improvements. Everyone listens. We all work together in harmony. I have been waiting a long time to find a company that has the correct strategic mindset, good ethical and moral structure. This is it.

Cons

They are almost too generous, I am not used to it. Unlike the companies I work with in the past. I was very skeptical, but after being with this company for 3 months and massive research this company is well on their way to being the biggest utility in the US and I am glad to be apart of the ride.

The management in Denver rocks!! Cory Ellis is very knowledgeable and cares about the success of his team. He is very patient, can answer 20 questions at once and not feel overwhelmed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is very exciting to be part of a growing company that is changing the way energy is consumed in the country!

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission, positive leadership, good management, willing to listen for ideas to make company better, good benefits.

Cons

Because we are a young company we go through growing pains and sometimes don't always provide the best customer experience. Sometimes there are too many hands in the pot with too many employees working with the same customer, which can get confusing to the customer and cause them to get bombarded.

Keep working on customer service. I have seen some serious gaps in providing a good customer experience. Keep focusing on providing a great customer experience and getting problems solved quickly and get Customer Care to contact the right person right away, so the responses get done faster.

This is the best experience of my professional career.

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart, dedicated, highly-trained colleagues make this job fun. If you want to learn something new every day, come to work at SolarCity.

Cons

Long hours. But then again, I've always worked long hours. This is not an automatic-sell to potential customers because the general public is still unfamiliar with the concept. That's why the best sales team on the planet works here.

Keep listening - even as growth makes that more difficult.

SolarCity Lacks Employee Caring

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At one point I felt SolarCity was the best company to work for since it was very employee friendly. They do make an impact in the energy industry.

Cons

They no longer care about their customers or their employees. The expect salaried employees to work more than 50 hours per week and will not comp their time, they burn out all other employees by having them do more work with less people.

Go back to being the company that realized the employees help you build the company to the success and start caring for them again. Also bring back customer service. You don't want to be the big chain store of the solar industry!

Best company gone IPO I've worked for

Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are changing the way electricity is generated in ways that cannot be put into words. These folks are visionary and will make the world a better place.

Cons

In the process of building an new industry things change fast, so if you don't like fast paced, this is not for you.

Better communication, between the teams and mostly to the clients. I think a single point of contact for a customer is a must.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

We are saving the world with a revolutionary way to go solar. There is a lot of excitement and passion within the company, and we are growing spectacularly. Although the pace is frenetic, it is fun. Improved and enhanced training is being created all the time.

Cons

If you are a reactive person, rather than someone who likes jumping over roadblocks and creating solutions to problems, selling insurance may be a better fit.

Great company with lots of growth

Current Employee - Installer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Installer in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

Fast growing company that hires from with-in.

Cons

Low base salaries compared to other construction industries

Keep growing!

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!