SolarCity

Lyndon Rive

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The future of energy

Foster City, CA

ProsGreat people and great management. SolarCity allows you do be proud of what you do. There's nothing better than helping people use clean renewable solar power and save money by doing so. It's truly a win-win for the company and the customer and something you can feel really proud of.

ConsLong hours, but that comes with any job these days

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep striving to make clean renewable energy available to more home owners. Publicize our environmental achievements.

No pay raises, negotiate your starting pay wisely

Certified Electrician (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsThey have a position for everything. When a job gets sold, it literally gets handled by a dozen people before it gets installed.

ConsWith that being said, many details get left out and the left hand forgets to talk to the right. Insane demand and hours. Kiss your family good bye.

Advice to Senior ManagementPanel pay doesn't exist in the Bay Area. It's a mythical creature that disappears at the end of each pay cycle right after a job in San Francisco.

Great company for corp positions & B2C sales

Foster City, CA

ProsGreat company overall. Good benefits, 401k, stock, etc. Terrific growth outlook for the next five to ten years on the residential side. Incredible internal EE referral program.
    Well thought out approach to the market. Great tools for the field reps to use.

ConsTraining is "fire-hose" style. Then you are thrown into the mix. Lots of conflicting information about what is and is not current/acceptable policy. It's a fast moving company, unfortunately that tends to lead to more than a little "Ready, Fire, Aim" in execution.

High burn-out rate. High expectations of accountability (8PM teleconference six nights per week for some managers). Need to be available to manager~12/7. The immediacy of the job often has reps going months without an actual day off.

VERY numbers based sales organization. Heavy on SFDC reports and Excel spreadsheets. No traditional "Sales Management" used; no coaching. More telling than listening. More lecturing than teaching. More reactive than proactive. (This MAY not be the case company-wide, but was seen prevalently in the Bay Area)

Even with a field team (FEAs) generating "qualified" leads at The Home Depot, Best Buy, mall kiosks, fairs, etc, the distribution of those leads is entirely subjective. Leads are almost always sent to the FECs who have been there the longest, leaving newer rep to scramble. The only alternative is for FECs to spend 20 - 30 hours each week at retail location to insure that the leads coming in go to them.

Virtually no marketing presence. There are a lot of mis-conceptions about how SolarCity approaches renewable energy, but no concerted effort to get the information to the marketplace. For the FEAs and FECs this puts them in a constant uphill battle.

Although sales contests and incentives abound, they are often complex, convoluted and hard to understand the metrics to achieve success.

* Recommended to friends under the right circumstances
    ** Six month Business outlook: Good. Outlook on Improvements to above: Poor
    *** Avoid the residential side if your expertise is Business-To-Business

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in training. Lots of reps in the field "selling" a poorly crafted vision of SC product and performance.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Drink The Kool Aid Until You Know How It's Made!

Inside Commercial Sales (Former Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsHaving worked at Solarcity as well as a number of other solar companies in the San Francisco Bay Area, here's my perspective on working in the "Green" . . ."Clean Tech" . . . "feel good industry" of solar power.

Pros:

No question solar power is good for the environment
    No question SolarCity, SunPower, SunPower and your local community installer are helping to create a distributed infrastructure of clean energy.
    No question American Jobs are being created!
    No question these jobs are a great learning experience for 1st time job seekers or those looking to make a career transition.

Now the Cons . . . or more aptly . . . the truth about working in solar.

Read on . . .

ConsFirst you have to strip away the feel good gloss and see what the industry is really all about - making money in a Wall St. kind of way, with all the associated thrills, ills and obfuscations - Solar Leases, PPAs, Solar Loans.

So far SolarCity, Sunngevity and to a certain extent, SunPower have failed the "making money part".

So how do you make money in the solar industry if you're SolarCity or Sungevity, or Vernego, or Sungate, or RealGoods Solar or . . . the list goes on and on.

The only chance you have is to pay exceeding low wages for non sales positions, or dangle the carrot to those sales personnel who think they can make a six figure salary with relative ease (50 hr work week, which should be the minimum for any sales position that has potential).

Now, please note this does not include c-level executives because that's the way capitalism works!

And capitalism is about making money, and more money and more money. And Solar power is about being green, saving the planet and feeling good about one's lower monthly electric bill.

Unfortunately, when you put the two together, people get burned. You just have to read a few of Solarcity's GlassDoor reviews to feel the ill will towards the company.

After reading most of the SolarCity review, I found they fell into four categories:

1. A certain number of reviews just seems to be made up to compensate for the 1 star reviews. These reviews seem to be short, vague and generated by someone who needs to take a course in creative writing. If you're going to make up a review, put some meat into it!

Here's an example: I love working at Solarcity because I get to experience the interaction between high level finance, construction, logistics and public policy while helping to build America's clean tech infrastructure . . . one roof at a time!

Oh, sign me up!!

2. People who have just gotten their first job and are just elated to be employed, and even more elated to be saving the planet.

3. People who took the solar hook, bait line and sinker, and quickly found out they're working at a glorified roofing company cloaked in the veil of a feel good green company.

4. Sales folks who realized that selling solar in a tough business. And even tougher once you realize the touted offerings (no down solar leases/ppa) are typically the worst investment for the residential homeowner.

So as the title of my post states:

Don't Drink The Kool Aid Until You Know How It's Made!

And more importantly, do your due diligence before applying/accepting a job.

Best,

Big Volt

Advice to Senior ManagementOne word . . . Altruism!

aggresive culture

PV Designer (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsColleagues are very friendly and professional

Conswork hours are long in order to finish the overloaded jobs and low pay

Come on board!

Foster City, CA

Pros-Stable company for someone who is interested in long term growth
    -Brilliant uppermanagement
    -Lots of room for upward mobility within the company

Cons-Still growing and must be able to adapt to changes

Best Company in the Best Industry to be in!

Foster City, CA

ProsI feel very passionate about what I do and am so happy I can make a great living doing something I truly believe in. SolarCity is growing like crazy, so if you don't like change, this is the wrong place, but if you are looking for a dynamic industry and workplace, you'll love it here! I work in sales and flexibility is very important to me. As long as I meet my sales numbers, I make my own schedule and can do what I want for the most part.

ConsSolarCity just went public, so just like any company who does that, there is much more concern for costs, so there has definitely been a real focus on costs which means extra demands on current employees and trimming of fat.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to let demand for cost cutting to affect employees' happiness. For the most part we are happy because we do feel like you care about us and take good care of us.

Great company, Great people!

Outside Energy Consultant (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsSales managament team, employees, base salary, mileage reimbursement, pricing flexibility

ConsTypical growing pains. No sales leads from the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider creating a role or team to follow up after system installations to ensure clients are happy.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!

SolarCity Videos

SolarCity – Why Work for Us?

Elon Musk at TED - 2013: "Solar will be the plurality of power within 20 years" SolarCity Delivers Better Energy SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to homeowners… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SolarCity reviews and ratings in Foster City, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SolarCity CEO Lyndon Rive. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by SolarCity employees.